Pump action U Channel blaster

Prototype / Rev. 1

7 replies to this topic

#1 cheerios

cheerios

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:59 PM

I first got the idea for this blaster while looking at a picture of Split's LAB. I thought about how he used the aluminum U channels to hold together his blaster and I realized that they they could be used to make a pump action blaster. So before we go on to the blaster I would like to put recognition for a few things, Stark for his Rainbow catch, Ryan201821 for his rainbowpump templates.

Tools
Scroll saw or band saw
Power drill or drill press
Screw driver
Drill bits (specified in the writeup)
6-32 tap

Materials
PVC U channel 85065K33
3/8" square PVC bar 8660K31
1/2" Square PVC bar 8660K33
1/2" thick 6" x 6" PVC sheet 8747K635
1/4" polycarbonate sheet 12" x 12" 8574K11
3/8" 6-32 screw 90402A146
3/4" 6-32 screw 90272A151
Catch spring 9657K39
Spring I used 9637K25

Body and Catch

Lets begin. Print out the templates from here: [url="http://ryan201821.ne...mptemplates.doc"]http://ryan201821.ne...mptemplates.doc

Then place them on the materials. Set the piece with catch templates aside for now.
Posted Image

Cut out everything but the catch pieces. Sand the handle, the trigger, and the side plates of the handle unless you want to diddle your hand.Don't forget to drill the holes on the top of the handle.
Posted Image

Assemble your handle, mark where the holes are on the top of your blaster.
Posted Image

Drill the holes out with a bit big enough to fit your screwdriver of choice.
Posted Image

Now get your 5/32 bit and drill through the big holes, and out the other side so the handle can be attached.
Posted Image

Now get you catch piece templates, we have to modify them to work with our 1/2" PVC bar. Make the circles in the center of the catch into squares. Cut it out and drill the needed holes.
Posted Image

Assemble your catch and and test fit it in your plunger tube, if it doesn't fit sand it down. This next part is hard to explain. You need to line up the middle of the catch with your trigger then make a mark where the screw and spring should go into the middle catch piece.
Posted Image

Take out the catch and remove the handle. Drill a 5/32 hole for the screw that holds the spring on into the plunger tube. Use a 3/4" 6-32 screw for this.
Posted Image

The spring rest needs to be screwed into the plunger tube, Use 3/8" 6-32 screws. There aren't really any good directions for this. (Look at the picture)
Posted Image

You can now fully attach the handle, this what you should have now.
Posted Image

U channels

Cut 2 27" sections. Measure from the front of the U channel 2 1/2" then again 3 1/4". The mark at 2 1/2" is where the front of your plunger tube will sit, and the mark at 3 1/4" is where you will drill with a 7/64 drill bit into the bushing. Tap the hole then screw in a 3/8" screw.
Posted Image

Drill and tap another hole 10 1/2" back screw that in with another 3/8" screw.
Posted Image

Do this to the second U channel as well.
Posted Image

Plunger Rod

Unscrew the bushing and cut a 12 1/4" section of 1/2" PVC rod. Then cut a catch notch 4" back and make a mark 1 1/2" back then another 6" back from that mark. Drill those marks out with 1/4" drill bit then connect the holes with your scroll saw.
Posted Image

Attach your seal and cut 9" of the spring of your choice.

U channel part 2

Finish taking off your U-Channels. Then measure back 14 1/2" and measure back from there 5 1/2". Drill the marks out with a 1/4" drill bit. You can then play connect the dots with your scroll saw, to make the slots.
Posted Image

Do this for both of the U-channels. When your done you can mount these back on the body of the gun. Install the plunger rod and bushing as well. (Don't forget to lube the seal)

Priming Rod and pump handle

Now your in the home stretch. Cut 2 15" sections of 3/8" PVC rod. (Notice they nest nicely in the U-channels) Drill a 11/64 hole a half inch away from on of the ends. Screw in a 3" 8-32 screw, you need it to go through the priming bar then the plunger rod and then the other priming rod.
Posted Image

The pump grip is a made out of 1/2" PVC sheet and 1/4" polycarb. cut out 2 2"x3" rectangles out of polycarb and a 2 3/4" x 3" square out of the pvc sheet.
Posted Image

Assemble it like this:
Posted Image
A couple screws on each side is sufficient

Once that is done connect it to the priming rods by screwing it in.
Posted Image

Your blaster is now done minus a stock. I made mine out of 1/2" pvc sheet, I cut out a 1 1/2" x 6" rectangle and screwed it in. But you can do it an way you want.
Posted Image
Final thoughts

This is still a "Prototype" blaster, I have already made a list of things that I need to fix.

The U channels are flimsy because of the giant slots in them, so in Rev.2 I'll fix that by making a reinforcement to the bottom and top of the U channels with a polycarb sheet.

I chose to use a [k25] spring which was not the best choice, I'm having issues with it catching in the catch notch and it causes to much friction on the priming rod, I'll be looking for a spring with same power but a bigger I.D.

I tried to not use any aluminum on the blaster which I successfully did, the blaster doesn't sound like death like Ryan's Pumpbow which had metal on metal to prime the blaster. But I think that that might not have been the best idea on my part, the blaster in now less sturdy because of this choice.

Also, sorry for the bad pictures; I got a new camera and I still need to learn how to use it.

Edited by cheerios, 02 November 2013 - 02:35 PM.

22:46- jakejagan :Ryan, did you hear that Zeke's BBBB made N9 bleed?
22:47- Zorn :BONUS

#2 proplus

proplus

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

you can add more strutual integerty by using aluminum U-channels instead of pvc ones.
"the peinus itself is a handle"

- Kane the medeocre

#3 cheerios

cheerios

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

you can add more strutual integerty by using aluminum U-channels instead of pvc ones.

I said in the Final thoughts section that I didn't want to use aluminum. I already found a way to fix the stability issues just need to post my fix in the writeup.

#4 Ozymandias

Ozymandias

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:07 PM

I really like this.

How bad was shipping from McMaster?

Is there a lot of friction between the 3/8 rod and the U-channels?
If you wish to post anything HvZ related, here ya go.

"...if you've ever suffered the effects of a fucking faggot retard overpopulation, you'll understand what devistaiting effects it can have on one's psyche." - Talio

#5 cheerios

cheerios

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

I really like this.

How bad was shipping from McMaster?

Is there a lot of friction between the 3/8 rod and the U-channels?

Shipping wasn't bad, and there's little to no friction on the U-channels.

#6 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:54 PM

This design seems close to covering up the exposed moving linkages that plague most rod-style pump action conversions. If you used a larger U-channel or something to cover up the outside of the linkage in the back, and added a couple plates on the top and bottom to cover the plunger rod / bolt, I think you'd have something as safe as an RBP without so many tubes in tubes. That said, I'm guessing most of the parts I mentioned would need to be glued on b/c they're attaching to thin surfaces that can't take screws.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#7 Y-Brik

Y-Brik

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:14 AM

With the advent of the simpler and sturdier RBP and RCP, I don't understand why we're using a more complex and less sturdy method to achieve pump action.

As I said I have not not alot of testes yet but I will be once I finish the mod.

Why I am boycotting Hasbro

#8 cheerios

cheerios

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:44 PM

This design seems close to covering up the exposed moving linkages that plague most rod-style pump action conversions. If you used a larger U-channel or something to cover up the outside of the linkage in the back, and added a couple plates on the top and bottom to cover the plunger rod / bolt, I think you'd have something as safe as an RBP without so many tubes in tubes. That said, I'm guessing most of the parts I mentioned would need to be glued on b/c they're attaching to thin surfaces that can't take screws.

I'm slightly ahead of you on that one, I was working on ways to cover up the top of the linkage and I got this. A bar on top that makes the stock 100 times sturdier, and a cut section of 2" PVC to completely cover it up.

Posted Image
Posted Image

"With the advent of the simpler and sturdier RBP and RCP, I don't understand why we're using a more complex and less sturdy method to achieve pump action."

Apparently you don't understand the whole point of this blaster. Kane on the other hand does, this blaster was made to give people an alternative to making a RBP or the shitty RCP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users