Nerf In The News

38 replies to this topic

#1 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 05:40 PM

http://www.enquirer....dartwars06.html

I won't bother posting excerpts... just RTFA.

Posted Image
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#2 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 05:49 PM

I am SO jealous. Really, I wish my school was like that. Imagine taking part in the all day all night, biggest Nerf War ever. :ph34r:

PS. Most people at my school think Nerfing is.. wierd. If only....

PPS. Thanks for the article. Great read. I have so many aspirations now...

Edited by Hunter, 10 May 2004 - 05:52 PM.

Hunter
Organizer Vancouver Area Nerf Series

#3 1313

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 05:56 PM

I agree, im jelous too :ph34r: , but i dont think that police should take the guns from the kids for having them on the schoolgrounds.

#4 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 05:57 PM

Most schools won't allow you to have gameboys, CD players, etc. Why would they let you have toy guns?
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#5 Bishop

Bishop

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 05:59 PM

Wow thats crazy. I know nerf is really fun and a game that people like to play alot, but i also think its some if the kids fault that it is such a big deal. I mean going on for months running around in fatuges (sp?) and having a money prize. That just sounds to me like there going a little crazy. A few hour wars at a local park or schoolyard(on weekends) shoud be enough to keep even the most enthusiastic(sp?) nerfers satisfied. But it would suck getting your hard modded nerf gun taken away police.

Edit:

PS. Most people at my school think Nerfing is.. wierd. If only....

Yea people at my school are like that too.

Edited by VoRtExMaStEr, 10 May 2004 - 06:01 PM.

Formerly: VoRtExMaStEr

#6 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 06:00 PM

I am SO jealous. Really, I wish my school was like that. Imagine taking part in the all day all night, biggest Nerf War ever.

That would be kinda retarded. I mean, ya, we all like nerf here, but these kids just thrive on this stuff. You have to draw the line somewhere. I can only imagine how pissed off the cops would be if the kids were modifying all of their guns.

Edited by CustomSnake202, 10 May 2004 - 06:01 PM.

#7 Tinkerer

Tinkerer

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 06:19 PM

I can only imagine how pissed off the cops would be if the kids were modifying all of their guns.

oh god.. don't even go there :ph34r:

Wait, that cop, isn't he holding a modified gun? :o
Actuall directions on some products:

On Pudding
"Product will be hot after heating"

On a Sweedish Chainsaw
"Do not try to stop with hands or genitals"
(Was alot of this happening somewhere? MY GOD!!)

#8 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 06:48 PM

Ugh... Arrests? That kinda sucks... Ah, on the topic of nerf wars, I have a small question. I live in a community where shooting is pretty much illegal... If I contacted City hall, do you think there is a chance that I would be able to hold a nerf war if they were aware about where and when I would hold it? I kind of want to know so I can set up some nerf wars this upcoming summer... Or, if anybody can recommend how best to contact the city/police about holding nerf wars. There was a topic on this earlier, but it was regarding on a college campus, whereas my problem is a small community.

~ompa

#9 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 07:43 PM

I think the cop is holding a piece of PVC, with ammo holders. Think how much these kids spend on ammo. My guess is $50. Maybe more-$50 is only 100 darts.

Edit: it says in the caption Blue Ash Police Officer Michael Bray checks out a homemade soft-dart gun at police headquarters. On the table are confiscated homemade and commercially produced Nerf dart guns and two-way radios.
I think homemade means piece of PVC.
Edit2: they are not allowed to use modded guns. Otherwise, weapons cannot be homemade or modified

Crankymonky

Edited by crankymonky, 10 May 2004 - 07:47 PM.

Tyranny Response Team

#10 Ragornocks

Ragornocks

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 07:53 PM

"...girls run through their neighborhoods stripped down to mere thongs, invoking a rule that renders them "invisible" to their enemy."

Yummy.
hug the fuck out of 'em, philippe!

#11 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:01 PM

I wish nerf wasnt "lame" at my school!
~SS

#12 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:26 PM

NO NO NO. That Nitefinder is cocked!!!! You'll ruin the spring!!.

Ohh.

Meh i dont see it as that big of a deal, if you guys remember there was a article in my newspaper about that very same thing.Infact i've still got it..

#13 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:29 PM

I read about a similar game last year in my newspaper. They called it "Assassins."

The rules were simple. Everyone pays a fee to play. The money is given to the winner. All names are placed in a bucket, and everyone has to draw one name.

The game lasts usually one week. Your goal is to assassinate the person whose name you drew. If you succeed, you take the name he holds, making that person your next victim. Gameplay eventually boils down to 2 players who fight for the win.

There are minor rules of engagement, such as letting the victim fight back if attacked, no shooting on school grounds, etc. I think the whole thing sounds like a blast. And I don't think most of them take the game too seriously, they just do it for the fun of their lives.

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#14 texmustache

texmustache

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:29 PM

It's people like that who give Nerf a bad name. I mean, sneaking around at night, these kids are asking for someone to get shot. I guess the only reason they haven't is that the area knows about them. It's interesting, but i can't say i'm jealous. The article seemed neutral on the whole issue, but definately a more negative feel. I"m just glad the students take safty and responsability so seriously, or they'd be in even bigger trouble.

Edited by texmustache, 10 May 2004 - 08:30 PM.

#15 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:32 PM

The game lasts usually one week. Your goal is to assassinate the person whose name you drew. If you succeed, you take the name he holds, making that person your next victim. Gameplay eventually boils down to 2 players who fight for the win.

What if the person you kill has your name, and there are more then two people left?

Do you kill yourself?

Or sit around, waiting for someone else to walk by?

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#16 TheHaze

TheHaze

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:56 PM

My high school has a similer thing called Assassins as vintige nicely pointed out. It's amazing, only seniors though. People camp out with squirt guns at 3 in the morning to get people has they leave their houses. Pretty cool.
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy

#17 neonerfer

neonerfer

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:59 PM

I'm not sure if this is Assasins though. I've read about that and it sounds awesome but I think this is more a mutli-team deathmatch. It sounds like theres tons of kids in it so it takes a while for them to complete the entire game but I don't think they draw names and only try to assassinate that one person or team. Sounds fucking fun though, I wish it went down in my town.
"Do not question that which is. Question that which will never be."

#18 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:59 PM

What if the person you kill has your name, and there are more then two people left?

Do you kill yourself?

Or sit around, waiting for someone else to walk by?

Good question. Since I don't play the game, I really can't tell you what rules they have for that. All I know about the game is what my newspaper said.

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#19 TheHaze

TheHaze

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:10 PM

I'm pretty sure if you get your own name you're out of the game, stby.
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy

#20 UpGraD3

UpGraD3

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:18 PM

There actually playing right now if you didn't see there website its http://www.dartwars.moonfruit.com/
"Is luck a loser's excuse for a winners position?"

#21 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:58 PM

Um.. do any of you guys have any advice on the best way to contact and work with City Hall to plan a nerf war?

~ompa

#22 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:39 PM

The city and high school mentioned in that news report is only about an hour away from me. I never even knew nerf was that popular around here... wow.
Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#23 Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:43 PM

ompa, unless you're planning to nerf on city property (or around the neighborhood), I really don't think you'd need to contact city hall. For the one nerf war I've been in, we booked a church gym, and nerfed there. If you plan on doing it in a park, I'd suggest you call their 'general information' phone number, and ask. Stress that it's safe, and easy to clean up after.
Do not mess with CXWQ, for he has Admin powers and will bann your flaming little a**.

Techno-Dann of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team

#24 rusty

rusty

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:55 AM

I really am jealous of those people but, hopefully things like this will help me get people into nerf.

Ompa: You don't have to contact the city unless you plan on nerfing on public grounds. If you are planning on nerfing in a public area most places ie. parks have a number that you can call regarding special events.

Another thing thats very important is making sure that none of your guns could ever be mistaken as a "facsimile" weapon.

#25 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 01:31 AM

wait...you guys do reallize it's the enquirer right?

VACC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users