Photo

A Nerf gun leads to serious charges for a Quincy teen

35 replies to this topic

#26 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:52 PM

They weren't at the construction site, they were sitting in a truck waiting to go to the site.

Also keep in mind that the whole nerf gun = dangerous weapon is just something they're being charged with. When you're making a case against somebody you charge them with everything possible, even if you don't expect all of the charges to stick. All it takes is the defense bringing in a few recons and demonstrating them for everybody to realize that although those guys were idiots, 5 adults chasing them down to presumably beat them up was a huge overreaction.

Edited by VelveetaAvenger, 25 July 2011 - 02:48 PM.

"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#27 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:23 PM

What I find interesting is that one officer refers to the nerf gun as a weapon, rather than call it a toy. Maybe "weapon" was used as a general term, but I find it laughable that anything nerf sells could be used to inflict serious injury, let alone death.
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#28 evilbunnyo

evilbunnyo

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

What I find interesting is that one officer refers to the nerf gun as a weapon, rather than call it a toy. Maybe "weapon" was used as a general term, but I find it laughable that anything nerf sells could be used to inflict serious injury, let alone death.

Dude death darts and tac darts from a maverick hurt imagine one from a titan. Yes its improbable for you to directly be killed by one but like kit said construction sites are hazardous enough wsith out jack asses shooting darts at you.
Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

#29 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:26 PM

Can I just point out once more that they weren't at the construction site or around any hazardous material?

#30 KitAdrian

KitAdrian

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

Fair enough, but you still do not fuck with Construction Workers.

They are, for the most part, a bunch of angry meatheads. The job is stressful, dangerous, and involves intense physical activity. As such, most construction workers are strong, they are stressed out, and they have an abundance of testosterone and adrenaline in their systems.

Dicking around with one is a lot like poking a sleeping bear with a stick. I'll grant that these workers weren't on site, so there was less danger involved, but pestering construction workers is dangerous in and of itself.

#31 bennorco

bennorco

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:52 AM

The cop in the video has trouble shooting the raider :huh: And i don't think he knows about slamfire. Lol. In my opinion I think most people will be able to discern that it was stupid teenagers and Nerf won't get any bad rap for this.
Buy this stuff^

#32 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

This is pretty stupid.
This isn't going to give Nerf a bad name.
This isn't going to stop Nerf from producing crappy guns.
All this is, is two kids being idiots.

To think otherwise would be like worrying they would stop the production of tennis balls had the kids thrown tennis balls.

What I would like to know is, how did they run over his leg? It's not like it was a foot that was accidentally under a tire.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#33 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

What I would like to know is, how did they run over his leg? It's not like it was a foot that was accidentally under a tire.

It sounds like when the workers chased them down they got out and surrounded the car. The driver probably tried to get away and knocked down the guy behind the car and kept going over his leg. Once he realized what happened he probably panicked and went the other way, which I think the article said dropped ten feet down in a ditch.

My armchair lawyer guess is community service for the teenagers, and mandatory anger management classes for the workers.

#34 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

Dude death darts and tac darts from a maverick hurt imagine one from a titan. Yes its improbable for you to directly be killed by one but like kit said construction sites are hazardous enough wsith out jack asses shooting darts at you.

The nerf guns were purchased and then used to harass the construction workers. There was no modding going on. A stock nerf gun couldn't be used in any fashion to inflict serious harm.
Additionally, I highly doubt any kind of tack dart fired from even a titan would result in more than a small puncture wound. The obvious example here is a hit to an eye, but chances of that are remote.

As it was stated before, the construction workers were not on site at the time. They were in a vehicle.
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#35 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:43 AM

Yeah, they got charged with assault with a deadly weapon. Has it occurred to anyone that the charge would probably have referred to the vehicle they were driving? Also note, under the right circumstances, a spitball shooter or even a laser pointer can lead to an assault charge.

A few kids decided to act like a bunch of assholes and everyone looses their mind over it because they had nerf guns. Mind you, I'm not talking about the article, I'm referring to this thread. Yeah, the author used a sensational title to get more click-through, probably more for the WTF factor than anything else. It's not like the 'startling expose' we were treated to a few months ago, that outlined the dangers of modified nerf blasters. I definitely don't see where modified nerf guns are blamed for the incident in this case.

If you're searching for sensational journalism to be outraged over, there are better places to look than here. If this thread gets any more retardulous, I will shut it down.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#36 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:10 AM

I'm surprised it hasn't been. All that needs to be said has been said. We're just rehashing, and pounding pulpits.

I wish NH had killfiles. In fact, this thread is so fucking stupid, I'm almost willing to post a lolcat just to get it locked, and get a well-deserved force-fed vacation for it.
Fugly is a feature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users