My ChainBlazer mod

vintage blaster mod

11 replies to this topic

#1 makeitgo

makeitgo

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:59 PM

Okay, since there seems to be a bunch of rare vintage blasters being modded and overhauled lately (Rogue's Lightning Blitz, pSyk's Tech Target and Sawtooth, Drac's Defender 3 Pistol, Knd/Ace's original release NiteFinder), I thought I'd follow suit with a lesser known blaster from 1994, the ChainBlazer. A kind of mini-Arrowstorm.

Posted Image

I found this during one of my thrift store hunts. The orange cover flap was missing and it wasn't priming properly. But what was cool was that it actually had the chain....although I won't be using it.

Upon opening it up, I was able to determine why it wasn't priming properly. The hook for the return spring on the plunger tube catch was broken. Meaning, that since the plunger tube failed to return before the plunger catch released, no air was being directed towards the dart.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

An easy fix for this was to Dremel a small hole in the support for the plunger tube catch.

Posted Image

Moving on to the plunger tube itself, I opened up the hole ever so slightly using a Dremel. And using a toothpick, I sealed the gap between the rubber gasket and the plunger tube hole.

Posted Image
-before

Posted Image
-after

The plunger has a skirt style plunger head. I Just put hotglue within the crevice to help push it a little wider creating a better seal.

Posted Image

The stock spring is actually pretty strong for this blaster so I chose not to replace it with something stronger. Therefore I also decided not to do anything to the very interesting catch mechanism.

What I did do, however, was cut a small piece of 1/2 inch PVC to pre-compress the spring a little more.

Posted Image
Posted Image

After putting it back together and testing it out, I moved on to the turret and barrels. Frost Vectron did something very similar WAAAAYYYY back but he used pieces of 1/2 PVC and CPVC.

I chose to use 3/4 inch aluminum with 1/2 inch CPVC nested inside. My reason for this is 2 fold as you'll soon see. The aluminum sheaths have been cut to a length of 4.2 inches. The CPVC were all cut to 4 inches.

Posted Image

The CPVC nests perfectly inside the 3/4 inch aluminum (breech potential). Frost had to shave down the pieces of PVC for the CPVC to nest in porperly. The aluminum tubing made this much easier. I also used a pair of scissors to bevel the CPVC for smoother/easier loading for the darts.

Posted Image

Sanding the surfaces to be bonded, I used a combination of super glue and hotglue, to connect the barrels to the turret.

Posted Image
Posted Image

A close up reveals where and how close the barrels need to be to connect properly to the plunger tube seal. About half way from the turret to the main shell. Also note how perfectly center the aluminum lines up with plunger tube seal.

Posted Image

Once that was all done, I had to do this...

Posted Image

What would a turreted blaster be without rear loading holes?

Posted Image
Posted Image

...Now, I did say the reason I chose the aluminum was two fold. Here's the other reason.

Posted Image
ARROWS!!!

Since the ChainBlazer is like a little Arrowstorm, I thought, why not? Now my ChainBlazer can fire darts and arrows.

Posted Image

Arrows: 15' to 25' flat. Arrows are just as unpredictable as Streamlines.
Streamlines: 10' to 70' flat. They're Streamlines. :roll:
*Slugs (Lowe's FBR with a No. 6 washer and felt tipped): 55' to 60' flat.
Angels' Beige foam (steal BB with hotglue tip): 40' to 45' flat. Beige foam is a little too tight for CPVC.
My Wasp/BumbleBee darts (Buzz Bee yellow foam with rubber heads): 55' to 60' flat.
"...he is one speedy bastard." ~ Cheyner

#2 ChaosPropel

ChaosPropel

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:13 PM

AWESOME! I love the creativity and thought going into your mods! Great thinking with the arrows!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

#3 utahnerf

utahnerf

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:46 PM

Great job! I'm a big fan of your mods, they are quite creative. My favorite part is that it eliminates the chain (Mine always had issues). The aluminum looks great too.

#4 Nerfomania

Nerfomania

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:32 PM

Very nice work! You revived a classic that often doesn't get as much recognition as it deserves.
That aluminum is very very nice. Might I ask where you bought it?
20:45 Talio I'll have the talk with you
20:45 Talio penis in vagina
20:45 Talio fin

#5 makeitgo

makeitgo

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:48 PM

Very nice work! You revived a classic that often doesn't get as much recognition as it deserves.

You can find it at Home Depot for $3 a foot. Kind of expensive, I know. It's sold in 3 foot and 5 foot lengths.
...but there's a Mom & Pop shop, 'Preston Hardware' about 10 minutes away from me that sells 8 foot lengths for just $1.50 a foot.

#6 blitz

blitz

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:41 AM

This is cool, I want.
Blitz, member of the FNBS
"sexual innuendo no intendo"

#7 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:13 PM

How did you make the rearloading holes so cleanly? Drill then sand?

#8 makeitgo

makeitgo

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:05 PM

How did you make the rearloading holes so cleanly? Drill then sand?

You got it. I also used scissors to get a nice score. Patience is the key.

#9 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:50 PM

Why does the chainblazer deserve anything?
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#10 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

Well, it was one of the first to have really good rate of fire, thanks to having a chain, and it's easier to use and aim than a Razorbeast. So I'd say it was a step in the right direction towards eventual grandchildren like the vulcan.

#11 psychoswan

psychoswan

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:14 AM

I love the mods that improve the guns i wanted as a kid but stay true to the spirit. Just for painting it you get my approval. Awesome mod regardless.
INCONCEIVABLE!

#12 andtheherois

andtheherois

• Banned
  • 821 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:05 AM

This is awesome. While it's not primary worth relative to what everyone else uses (4Bs, Homemades, etc), It's small enough to carry around as an effective secondary.
The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users