Photo

SPANO 2011 Recap

23 replies to this topic

#1 Kanashimi

Kanashimi

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

This event was awesome! Turn out was amazing, we had about 40 people at the event. Giant teams made the games extremely fun.

Pros
-Defend the Core
-Successful magstrike rushes
-Seeing how effective hoppers are
-Seeing Kane's 3 or so foot long hopper
-Reconnecting with the NIC

Cons
-Leaving early (driver had job interview)
-Wet grass
-Blasters not being war ready

-Kanashimi

Edited by Kanashimi, 19 June 2011 - 09:37 PM.

#2 LuckyLotto21

LuckyLotto21

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:25 PM

If any one found a stainless steel water bottle there, please message me.

Edited by LuckyLotto21, 18 June 2011 - 08:25 PM.

#3 Eik

Eik

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:46 PM

SPANO 6 was spectacular; the sloppiest, craziest, most Effeminate war thus far. I took 3 buses and walked 2 miles to be there, and it was well worth it.

Pros:
-Muttonchops keeping my face warm when the rain hit
-My SNAP performed well, after some battlefield surgery
-Meeting all these people, putting names to faces
-Badass sliding moves in the mud
-So many people

Cons:
-Not enough darts
-Came late to the party
-Marinating in rain and mud
-Shot in the throat by something powerful

#4 thedom21

thedom21

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

Great war and great attendance.

Pros
-Rain...it was fun to slide around on the wet grass.
-Lots of new people
-Getting to see lots of cool blasters
-My quadshot performed very well which is good since it is all I had
-Paul letting me use his rainbow
-Not getting hit by Stark's diddle cannon thing when we were in the tower

Cons
-Rain...got annoying not being able to run and stop and I got really muddy and wet and so did all my stuff
-Big blasts
-Welts....most of them from Big Blast's or UMB's
-Ending when DemonLord got shot in the eye with a UMB from 10 feet and being right next to the shooter
-Not enough darts
Funny Irc moments

22:32 hookerninja I would just switch to 2 full 69's
22:32 hookerninja that would diddle shit

11:44 Zorn Her butt is too tiny even for limp 6th grade penis?
11:44 Zorn ergo the dildo

#5 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:39 PM

For future reference, we should avoid making separate threads for recapping. The admins have called us out on it in the past, but I understand that not everyone is aware of these things.

I thought the war was great! Very glad it turned out as well as it did, we put in a lot of hard work to make sure it was a great time. I'll post a complete response later, as well as the footage I took with my nifty spy sunglasses camera. Here is some lame picture I took with them on accident, enjoy it.

Posted Image

#6 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:45 AM

Woo, Nerf has risen from the dead in Minnesota!

That was amazing turnout for such a bad weather day. I'd like to thank all the new people for taking a chance on the rain and coming out to play.

Pros!

• Rain held off for most of the morning, but even when it did come it only enhanced the experience!
  • Thought my fancy magstrike was broken, but it turned out to just be a piece of bunched up tape blocking the clip. Easy fix!
  • Mostly fun rounds. We need to remember that the further spawn points are from the objectives each team is guarding the better.
  • It looked like a lot of people had various filming apparatuses, so I hope somebody was recording center flag/princess.
  • Center flag/princess in the rain was amazing. Everyone just went all out to get that princess back.
  • I got a bruised rib or something from the car accident I was in last week, but luckily it didn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would while we were running around.
  • Chuck, the urban planning student we met later that night who spent 30-45 minutes trying to convince us that he was from Minnesota and not a "shit-shiner". I'm afraid he failed on both counts.
Semi-Pros!
  • Had to leave about an hour and a half early, but I missed out on cleanup in the rain which I heard was awful.
KHAAANS!
  • Missed out on the noobs vs. vets round, which I hear was pretty fun.
  • There were some suspiciously powerful darts and/or blasters on the field. I've still got welts today from a couple hits, and they weren't from anything remotely close range either.

That's about it. Look forward to pics and vids getting put up and the next war!
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#7 36thShadowBattalion

36thShadowBattalion

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

It was really fun! Best game was the three way capture the flag in the rain.

Edited by 36thShadowBattalion, 19 June 2011 - 11:03 AM.

#8 BOSS9

BOSS9

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

Great first war for me!

Pros:
-Meeting everyone in the community! There were a lot of big names here, it was great meeting all of you!
-Big Blast with RSCB performed flawlessly, more than enough to keep up with all the pump-action homemades. I don't know what other people are complaining about, everything seemed fine from my side of the barrel!
-All the games were fun, especially vets vs. noobs- I think the noobs put up quite a fight. The Alamo- but Nerf!
-Got some wyes and 2k spacers, thanks to kane and venom, respectively.
-Rain made everything fun!
-I got some cool free stuff! Whoever had that box of stuff, thanks a bunch!

Cons:
-That was me who hit DemonLord... just thankful it wasn't serious!
-Stark's sprinkler valve monstrosity didn't punch holes in anyone's skulls, but it did sound incredibly intimidating hitting the metal of the tower.
-I didn't make enough darts, ran out in the 4th or 5th round. Also I didn't have time to paint the backs, so my black and green darts were mostly lost.
-My nite-rifle blew up on me the night before due to not-fully-cured adhesives. I might have to downgrade from an Ace #62 to a [k26]...good thing I just got a pack.
-I didn't have another working primary or even a decent secondary for my friend to use, so we switched off with my Big Blast and a Maverick modded to the max (which is still terrible, of course).

So, when's the next one?

Edited by BOSS9, 19 June 2011 - 06:59 PM.

#9 Archangel45

Archangel45

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:10 PM

For future reference, we should avoid making separate threads for recapping. The admins have called us out on it in the past, but I understand that not everyone is aware of these things.

I thought the war was great! Very glad it turned out as well as it did, we put in a lot of hard work to make sure it was a great time. I'll post a complete response later, as well as the footage I took with my nifty spy sunglasses camera. Here is some lame picture I took with them on accident, enjoy it.

Posted Image

Wow- I really was "black on black"- sometimes I completly forget what I look like on camra. I was going to ask if anyone had the pics to post up and share with everyone. lol also- date is wrong.

Great first war for me!

Pros:
-Meeting everyone in the community! There were a lot of big names here, it was great meeting all of you!
-Big Blast with RSCB performed flawlessly, more than enough to keep up with all the pump-action homemades. I don't know what other people are complaining about, everything seemed fine from my side of the barrel! :o
-All the games were fun, especially vets vs. noobs- I think the noobs put up quite a fight. The Alamo- but Nerf!
-Got some wyes and 2k spacers, thanks to kane and venom, respectively.
-Rain made everything fun!

Cons:
-That was me who hit DemonLord... just thankful it wasn't serious!
-Stark's sprinkler valve monstrosity didn't punch holes in anyone's skulls, but it did sound incredibly intimidating hitting the metal of the tower.
-I didn't make enough darts, ran out in the 4th or 5th round. Also I didn't have time to paint the backs, so my black and green darts were mostly lost.
-My night-rifle blew up on me the night before due to not-fully-cured adhesives. I might have to switch from an Ace #62 to a [k26]...good thing I just got a pack.
-I didn't have another working primary or even a decent secondary for my friend to use, so we switched off with my big blast and a maverick modded to the max(which is still nothing, of course).

So, when's the next one? :lol:

lol- I was hoping to hold a war myself soon- not exactly sure when yet though/where it will be ether at the park again or somewhere between plymouth/minneapolis/brooklyn park/maple grove.

the war was awesome and I hope to do such again.

Pros:
-large turnout
-being able to bring a few freinds and convincing others to show up
-having my own guns for this war
-made a good trade/2
-being able to lend a blaster/2/4 to the guy who didnt have enough for him an his freind(ie: the guy with the big blast and mave)
-being called a boss for that lovly round of stealing everyones balls in witch we kicked everyones butts
-not getting a single welt from anything.
-getting thanks and commpoments on the large pile of guns+ for giving out free pop to everyone

cons
-a little too much rain
-not having properly moded guns(ie my big blast getting f-d up)
-sliping and twisting a few things so now im sore as heck.
-not getting in as many sales/trades as I was hoping for.

Edited by Archangel45, 19 June 2011 - 07:12 PM.

"He who is made of air should not acuse the wind."

#10 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:23 PM

Friggin' that is how it is DONE! No working leg muscles and my arms are sore in the Pump-action spots.

I have a Pros/Cons but I want everyone reading this, whether you attended or are lurking to know something: this war worked because people were 1) on time, 2) paid attention to the game play rules the FiRST time, and 3) got their shit together quick between rounds. I am absolutely in awe of how well 20+ first timers took direction to keep pace of play up.

Now, the usual.

Pros
-Numbers: 35+ attendees and not one total dick.
- variety of players: Chicago, Mankato, middle school, high school, collage, grads, vets, noobs, AND...girls! Props to Jenna, Amy and Kathleen!
-New game variations: Dual-opposite-crisscross Offend The Core and Three-team center flag were glorious.
-lots of fast runners, risk takers, and good shooters made every round a challenge.
-"stupid" blaster round: BB Hunter FTW!

Cons
-Less downtime meant less face time to talk with people. Stupid trade-offs!
-rain meant quick exits so I missed a lot of good-byes, and I do like a proper good bye.

Best war ever. Here some pics.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I dried out the communal dart stash. Coming soon to the next ner war I'm at!
Posted Image

POST YOUR PICS and POST A RECAP!
The Difference:
-Guns shoot bullets that kill people
-Blasters shoot darts that tag people

I do not play with guns.

#11 Kanashimi

Kanashimi

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:36 PM

Sorry Venom, didn't know that was extremely erotic now.

Dual-opposite-crisscross defend the core?

-Kanashimi

#12 wired445

wired445

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:06 AM

Sweet! To see grown men running around like children with new toys was lots of fun. :lol:
I had a wonderful time myself.

#13 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:37 AM

Funny...I didn't think that I would call a war where it rained for most of the day "fantastic", but there's really no other way to call it. Rain was sub-optimal (in the literal sense), but it didn't keep anyone away. Plus, now we have first-hand experience with blaster performance in pouring rain.

Pros('cause we got no time for amateurs):

• 35+ people? Hell yes.
• Lots of new faces, and all great to nerf with.
• The new area was good...being close to the cars was a huge benefit.
• Trees + mobstacles = supa effeminate
• Center flag CTF is probably as close to medieval combat as nerf is gonna get. I hope someone got video.
• The Midwest arms race has settled down, with most people using high ROF and around 100' range guns....but the rounds never degenerated into potshot-fests. The mobstacles are the reason it works. Thanks to the Illinois Nerfers for hauling them up.
• A crazy number of homemades.
• "That was terrible".

Cons:

• Extreme External Hydration is refreshing, but ultimately tiresome.
• I'm getting a little tired of Big Blasts.
• There is no con #3.

I'll try and get some pics posted tonight.

Edited by Carbon, 20 June 2011 - 11:38 AM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#14 36thShadowBattalion

36thShadowBattalion

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:59 PM

Here's a group picture. Posted Image

Edited by 36thShadowBattalion, 20 June 2011 - 12:59 PM.

#15 Demon Lord

Demon Lord

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:54 PM

Great war, and nice to see so many people in a state where nerf seemed to be dying out

+ Huge turn out
+ Finally getting to use my 2-11
+ SonReeseSonJenson makes for a great host
+ Minimal downtime between rounds
+ Seeing MN friends again
+ Never ran short of darts, gotta love scavenging
+ 3 team CTF...talk about a cluster#$%!
+ So...many...homemades

- Rain
- Those Big Blast HAD to have been plugged
- Taking one for the team in the Noobs vs Vets round to end the drawing out round (great tactics on the newbies side though)
- Losing 600 darts. Noobs, please return darts when you leave.

I actually want to make a safety note here, for the love of everything, even if you can't see, NEVER remove your eye protection. With the rain my glasses started fogging up badly and in the last round in other to move and see I took a gamble in a rush and took off my shooting glasses. I promptly got shot in the lower occipital socket of my right eye not more than a minute later. I was seeing double for several minutes and it still aches days later as well as having a minor haze around brightly lit stuff. Go ahead and flame/mock me for my actions, but let what happened to me be a lesson to everyone else who might nerf in bad conditions.

Edited by Demon Lord, 20 June 2011 - 01:56 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Mar 7 2011, 09:03 AM) View Post

Don't worry so much about what other people will allow. Throw your own wars and kick your friends' asses until they all want one.

#16 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

+ Awesome turnout, let's see if we can keep it up at future wars
+ I had no idea there were so many SNAPS in MN
+ Good round types, fairly even teams

+/- My legendary blaster breaking slightly (one part broke and a screw disappeared)on the last round of the day, it will return next war
+/- Rain, it adds interest but is troublesome

- There was a lot of downtime IMO

Looking forwards to the next one, possibly july 16th or 23rd. Though I might not be able to attend.
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#17 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:33 PM

Good times as every year, although I probably enjoyed hanging out more than actually nerfing. The rain kinda ruined it as soon as we were figuring what worked best for each round.

+Huge turnout, biggest Spano thus far.
+Tons of new people since last year. I'm sorry to all the people I didn't formally meet. I only knew maybe 10 people tops from previous MN wars. MN nerf has risen from the dead!
+Mobstacles made it there. That will be the last time we bring ours. Imagine if we didn't have them for this war, and how much the war would've sucked. Hooray snake wars! You guys better get building.
+First two rounds of single DTC. Having 35+ people makes these rounds pretty Effeminate.
+First time dual-core was implemented (aside from whatever war we had last year where the cores blew away during the round). Our team pretty much got destroyed but it was insane crazy. I like the idea of spawning on the opposite side of your objective. This style spawning should have been used during the Carpe rounds. Which leads to..
-Spawning was awful. Until the last round (aside from Noobs vs Vets), spawning was severely broken, which I knew right away and exploited, hopefully showing people why you don't do certain things. For the Carpe rounds, we realized (at Cataclysm) the best way to keep the game fast paced, and not camp-fest, was to keep the spawns at least 100 ft from your own bucket. This way people can't protect their objective from the spawn point, which results in super camping.
-Keeping cover symmetrical. Now this is really hard to do, so I'm not blaming you guys for any wrong-doing here. Often one team had a distinct advantage due better placement of mobstacles on their side, and/or having better a geographical area over the other teams. This is something to work on/think about. The hard part is it varies from location to location because of natural cover that's already used.
+Center flag CTF was a hilarious spectator event. The fact that the gametype was so broken made it pretty funny.
±Rain was a lot of fun at the beginning, but it sucked cleaning up and the majority of darts got destroyed.
+Superbird!!!!!!!!
+Random college party resulting in crazy good times.
+Losta homemades out on the field.
+Carbon's new SNAP. That is really cool.
-Driving 12+ hours in a weekend sucks dongs.
+RBP working very well as expected and had no problems in the rain.
+Sold all the foams we brought, instantly (~150m).
--A lot of blasters out there were way too fucking powerful. I'm probably the last person to really complain about this, but it was very apparent, and other people were giving off the same vibe. I got a welt from a big blast in the side of my face which was about the size of a golf ball. This is from about 80-90ft away. I also got shot by a dart that grazed my neck and drew a small amount of blood and left a nice welt. This is also from about 70-80ft away. This should not be happening. War hosts (including myself), need to be way more adamant about checking blasters to see if they're safe. Homemade OPRV's don't really cut it. I haven't seen a big blast out there that will relieve the air fast enough to actually be effective. Most people think a slow leak is an OPRV. The way to resolve this is to get a chronograph, pump up each blaster a million times, and shoot it through the chrono. Then ban blasters over a certain limit. Even if this is the case, I believe a bunch of blasters could've been banned on the spot if someone really checked it out.
--Also a lot of sketchy darts. The craft foam darts definitely do not have enough padding. The problem is (other than them being not thick enough to begin with), when you glue down the craft foam, it compresses probably 50%, so a 2mm thick tip ends up being a measly 1mm, and becomes increasingly rigid. I guarantee at least one of those big blast shots to my face was with a craft foam dart. Slugs also suck as well, but that's a much larger problem that needs to be addressed. After it had been raining for about an hour or so, darts started to lose their felt pads and become straight up washer darts. We noticed this problem last year at Mano. Safer darts will also result in a more lenient tolerance for which blasters are acceptable or too powerful.

All in all, it was a great time, and good to see MN nerf is far from dead. Consider this a learning experience for future wars so everyone can have more fun the next time.

#18 Archangel45

Archangel45

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:39 PM

Also I found these items at the war as I was leaving- if they belong to someone who was still there- sorry they were scattered in the feild so I figgured I would pick them up and post a pic on here for the owners to claim the items- if they go unclaimed by the end of the month i will just keep them. I will try to get them to their owners at the next local war- ie next month I belive or when I get the time to find a good time/place to host one myself.

cat and or feet not included. owners just pm me.

Posted Image

Edited by Archangel45, 20 June 2011 - 08:39 PM.

"He who is made of air should not acuse the wind."

#19 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:26 PM

Random photos from the Ridiculous weapon round (where not all blasters were ridiculous), and just loitering around:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:05 PM

I figured since I injured myself while working on blasters yesterday, I should take it easy and edit this video instead. I apologize for the mediocre royalty free music, but I'd rather use that than the audioswap option. There's a lot more footage I need to sort through; this is just the beginning....watch in HD!

Recap:
+Both Erik and I made it on time, as well as almost everyone else.
+Extremely cooperative participants.
+My buddy Jake nerfing for the first time and having a blast.
+Getting some decent nerfing in before it started raining.
+Julian showing up for 5 minutes and then leaving.
+The non-exploding hopper I built did not explode.
+Bringing a minimal amount of blasters and still doing fine.
+None of my blasters broke to the point of being unusable.
+Converting my broken RBP into a pull-back rainbow made a great primary for Jake.
+Bringing 500-600 darts was well worth the time spent making them.
+Not getting kicked out of the park.
+Watching bystanders watch us in awe.
+Seeing a guy who looked like Carrtoon at the park.
+Being personally thanked by several parents for helping run this war.
+/-My Big Blast worked way better than I expected, despite the leak. However, performance proved to be too good, as some people were being injured by it. Thus, I had to retire it for the day after a few rounds.
+Building with Stark and Velveeta the night before.
-Ryan and Kane weren't able to come to the build party.
+Stark's friend with the unpronounceable name was a manically-awesome.
-Vets vs Noobs ending because Tim got shot in the eye. That round is an example of why we don't usually play deathmatch and why eye protection is mandatory.
+3-Team one flag CTF aka MOSH PIT was hilarious.
-None of the old-school Minnesota vets were there.
+Video camera sunglasses worked this time and captured some great footage.
+Stark terrifying the noobs with his unfair gun.
+The rain didn't destroy my (craft foam) darts.
-Craft foam darts can be dangerous....
+Erik and I rubbing our sacks together.
+Having two hosts for a war this size makes things run a lot smoother.
+Definite proof that Minnesota Nerf has been reborn. It is now a younger crowd, ready to take charge as the older people move on with their lives. This same cycle happened about 3 years ago when I first started attending wars. I started out as just a 13 year old kid going to wars run by the "old guys". Now I am the one running the wars for 13 year olds. Soon enough, the cycle will repeat itself. So to all of you young kids who are just starting out, stick around for a while.

Edited by venom213, 23 June 2011 - 05:31 PM.

#21 Stark

Stark

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:22 AM

Well, I didn't make it to last year's SPANO because of a wedding so as the first SPANO I've ever been to this was an awesome war!

+ I actually showed up on time for this war.
+ Crazy huge turnout! Always good to see new faces.
+ Umlaut had an awesome time at his first war.
- The other 2 guys that I invited had to work.
+ Name tags. This was an awesome idea and really helped to put names and faces together. However, I need glasses to read things at a distance so names were still a struggle.
+ Had a fun time building the night before with Venom and Velveeta. Seems I don't really do much building outside of build parties anymore, so thanks for hosting!
+ I was impressed that Julian was awake before 10 AM.
+ I now have 1,648 darts worth of awesome pink foam.
- Fuck craft foam. And those two inch long darts.
+ The Unfair Gun makes for some fun psychological warfare. Best firing sound ever?
+ Discovered that guns with hoppers have an alternate fire mode while playing dual core. If you open your ball valve, turn your gun sideways, and fire. The contents of your hopper are ejected with a range of about 3 feet. This means you can run up to the core and empty your entire hopper into it with a single shot. Way more legit than just throwing a sack of darts into the core. Granted, you have to be standing close enough to the core to touch it, so good luck with that.
+ I was surprised at how well the dual core gametype worked. Though for some reason the teams seemed really imbalanced.
+ The clusterfuck that was 3 team single flag CTF was hilarious.
+/- Almost no downtime, which meant more delicious nerfing. However, having less time to get the spawns, objectives, and cover set up perfectly before each round resulted in a few layouts that were fairly broken in terms of gameplay.

Glad I was able to make it this year, easily the best war I've ever been to.
"Road trip." -Atomatron

BITCHES GO CRAZY FOR RAINBOWS

#22 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

+Definite proof that Minnesota Nerf has been reborn. It is now a younger crowd, ready to take charge as the older people move on with their lives. This same cycle happened about 3 years ago when I first started attending wars. I started out as just a 13 year old kid going to wars run by the "old guys". Now I am the one running the wars for 13 year olds. Soon enough, the cycle will repeat itself. So to all of you young kids who are just starting out, stick around for a while.

Posted Image
Old Man Venom waxes poetic while his grandchildren pretend to pay attention.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#23 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:29 AM

Posted Image
Old Man Venom waxes poetic while his grandchildren pretend to pay attention.

Metamucil was consumed.....lawns were gotten off of.

Good times.

#24 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:38 PM

Cool stuff, dudes. Sorry I couldn't be there.

Anyone want to sell me their used darts from the war? I need about 1000 for one that I'm hosting down here. PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users