Nite Finder 3foot PT replacement

Compensation

17 replies to this topic

#1 The lord of fish

The lord of fish

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

I make instruments for a living now, and don't have time for nerf. Most of my guns are gone, but I still have a bunch of shells. In no way should you bring one of these to a war, this is mostly just for fun.

Materials needed:
cheapie dual action balloon pump (see makeitgo's balloon finder)
2" ID PETG (I used a broken fish tank python)
3/8" square rod (I used white oak)
some small set screws
2" of 1/2" PVC
2.5 [k26] springs
ace #2 spring
hot glue and gun

Grab a NF shell, I had a clear one. It needs to have a catch, a trigger and well the shell..
Posted Image
Cut to the spring rest and right above the second ridge on the trigger (yes you are cutting down the trigger)
Posted Image
Mark on your PETG where the shell touches the tube, and cut about 2" into the PETG
Posted Image
test fit it, it should slide over the nerf signs, giving you plenty of room to attach it with set screws
Posted Image
Moving over to the soon to be plunger head. I had used a balloon pump head as a plunger head on my longshot Xbow. simply pull/ or snip it off
Posted Image
take the O ring out and you will notice this gap, that will not be good for our seal, so fill it up with hot glue and foam.
Posted Image
snip the tabs on the pump head
Posted Image
Now rough up the PVC and the plunger head, and apply some CA glue, clamp it and let it set.
Posted Image
Dump about a 1/2 a stick of hot glue into the PVC, and jam the 3/8" square rod, trying to keep it centered.
Posted Image
now drill, and screw in 4 set screws, be careful if you are using wood, you dont want it to split.
Posted Image
Now make your catch slots, I set mine about 6-7" back from the PVC. they should be no more than 1/8" deep.
Posted Image
Slide your springs on, and re assemble.
Posted Image
almost full compression.
Posted Image

Shoots way too far, can't be shouldered, but its worth it. I don't have a barrel long enough for it at the moment, so I used a really long RSCB to compensate for the massive amount of air this puts out and a 14" barrel. Shoots further than my BBUMB.
Is this necessary? No shit its not. but definitely scores big on the "Whatthefuckisthatandwhyisitsobig" scale.

Edited by The lord of fish, 17 June 2011 - 06:18 PM.

Do you think she'll sleep with a panic switch?

#2 evilbunnyo

evilbunnyo

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:30 PM

Its a fucking sniperr in a nitefinder shell. I love it. About how far does it shoot? 100? More??

Edited by evilbunnyo, 17 June 2011 - 06:30 PM.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

#3 Dusty The Bear

Dusty The Bear

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:34 PM

If it shoots further than a BBUMB. Then it must be hitting 140's. Awesome work dude!

#4 The lord of fish

The lord of fish

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:41 PM

How the fuck have you lasted this long evilbunnyo? You got banned on NHQ for being a dumbass.

I have no intent on range testing this thing. By removing the springs and flipping the plunger rod, I can turn this into a hamp relatively quickly.

#5 evilbunnyo

evilbunnyo

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:00 PM

Well if you had to guess a range?

And NHQ was a different story. The admins there hated me.
Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

#6 The lord of fish

The lord of fish

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:50 PM

Using big ass paces as a measurement (which I then measured said paces to be a little more than 3 feet), I got 48 paces. My BBUMB does 47 paces.

#7 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:38 PM

Using big ass paces as a measurement (which I then measured said paces to be a little more than 3 feet), I got 48 paces. My BBUMB does 47 paces.

Props for sillyness and measurement units :P
The Difference:
-Guns shoot bullets that kill people
-Blasters shoot darts that tag people

I do not play with guns.

#8 proplus

proplus

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:31 PM

Can it over power a plugged titan?
"the peinus itself is a handle"

- Kane the medeocre

#9 The lord of fish

The lord of fish

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:29 AM

If one pace= ~3 feet, and there are 48 paces, does it then shoot further than a plugged titan? No wait, that math might be difficult for someone who is probably not even 13 years old yet. This shoots 144' if each pace is actually 36", which is doubtful since most were probably 38"-40".

#10 makeitgo

makeitgo

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:57 AM

Not quite 3 feet but we had the same idea, http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=21203.
"...he is one speedy bastard." ~ Cheyner

#11 Shadow the HellJumper

Shadow the HellJumper

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:39 AM

Very overkill, but just one problem... How long would the catch plate last with that kind of spring power? If it was possible, I would suggest replacing it with a machined aluminum piece, or something similar to that.

Other than that, I would totally sh*t my pants if I came face-to-face with this monster, nice work!

Edited by Shadow the HellJumper, 18 June 2011 - 10:42 AM.

Some strive their entire lives for excellence. They seek to find their passion, to raise a family, to leave their mark on the world, or to earn their fortune. Some just want a motherf*cking Nerf Gun to shoot that jerk-off that's been making farting noises and laughing like an idiot for 3 hours.

#12 arfink

arfink

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

This is one freaky Frankenstein's monster of an NF, bravo! Barrel tap, anyone?
A2GS + 4 meg RAM + 128 meg CF + 9600 Baud Lantronix = WIN

#13 Strikemod

Strikemod

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:35 PM

This makes me look under my bed at night it's so scary. Now make it pump action.
  • I like bums

#14 The lord of fish

The lord of fish

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:58 PM

I've got more things planned for Nitefinders, with less dick cannon, but more wood.

This should totes be allowed in gunslinger rounds.

#15 arfink

arfink

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

Fully extended, I think you could tap someone easier than you'd hit them with an unmodded Eliminator.
A2GS + 4 meg RAM + 128 meg CF + 9600 Baud Lantronix = WIN

#16 Jilliop

Jilliop

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:20 PM

I find myself thinking of ways to try to make the plunger move SLOWER, because it seems like with that much spring power, it might just take the shell with it. Does it have a 100% seal?

#17 ScoutsIX3

ScoutsIX3

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:44 PM

Overkill is an understatement! But cool mod anyway! How exactly do you prime it? It seems like a 2.5 foot draw would be tough.

#18 makeitgo

makeitgo

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:07 AM

Overkill is an understatement! But cool mod anyway! How exactly do you prime it? It seems like a 2.5 foot draw would be tough.

There is no such thing as over kill! :ph34r: If you can carry it and prime it. You're good to go.
"...he is one speedy bastard." ~ Cheyner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users