Simple pull and release pistol

6 replies to this topic

#1 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:42 PM

While looking in Menards for homemade nerf ideas, I came across this and instantly had an idea:

LINK

Grease guns are simple: A spring-pressured plunger pushed on the grease cartridge, and pulling the trigger lets out a bit at a time. So we're already halfway done!

Sadly, it's not THAT kind of trigger, and at the moment, I'm still trying to devise a trigger mechanism for it; Considering the rod is 1/4" diameter, the logical option is the caulking gun/ultimator trigger, where friction holds it in place as you pull back, then pulling the metal plate with a hole in it lets the plunger go. That would reduce plunger travel, though....but make finding a spring replacement easier. Oh the options the futures may hold.

Posted Image
Unscrew the top piece, so that only this is left^

Posted Image
Take the plunger out. You can see it has a skirt seal - but facing backwards. We can fix that!

Posted Image
Shave these off the rear of the plunger rod. Then you can take everything off, flip the skirt, and reassemble.

Posted Image
This shows the end result. Reassemble so that it looks like the first picture.

Posted Image
Shave down a 1 1/4" to 1/2" PVC bushing, on the inside of the 1 1/4" pipe side, s that it can barely slide over the plunger tube. Use your choice of adhesive to put in place.

And that's it; testing will commence tomorrow, but preliminary tampering says you need pretty loose barrel material (PETG, brass, etc) for best performance. It's at least hitting the other side of my basement, so that's a good thing.

This could be spring replaced, if an appropriately sized spring is found. Or, it could be a candidate for turning into a BnA of sorts, a miniature Aabow.

Edited by Buffdaddy, 28 July 2011 - 11:43 PM.

#2 knexpert66

knexpert66

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:20 PM

Awesome! I've always been a fan of your work. And I am definatly going to menards, and adding this to my projects to do list. Thanks! Also, how much did it cost?

Edited by knexpert66, 02 August 2011 - 08:32 PM.

Please, call me Busted.

#3 bennorco

bennorco

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:22 PM

So does this work like a real bow were you pull and let go? No catch or trigger?
Buy this stuff^

#4 knexpert66

knexpert66

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:12 AM

So does this work like a real bow were you pull and let go? No catch or trigger?

Oh I didn't realize that. But when I do this, I'll add a catch.
Please, call me Busted.

#5 bennorco

bennorco

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:13 AM

Oh I didn't realize that. But when I do this, I'll add a catch.

That will be interesting to see.
Buy this stuff^

#6 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

Yep, it's pull release. Still needs a better spring to be anywhere near effetive.

#7 bennorco

bennorco

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:58 AM

Yep, it's pull release. Still needs a better spring to be anywhere near effetive.

Do you think it ever could be effective?

Edited by bennorco, 04 August 2011 - 09:25 AM.

Buy this stuff^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users