Effeminate 2.3

Le'ts get it on

59 replies to this topic

#26 Broderick

Broderick

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:22 PM

I'm working the day of the war, so I'm not going to be there. Sorry guys, this is the second one in a row that I've missed! Blah.

#27 Wickbuddy

Wickbuddy

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:28 PM

Sorry but I think I won't make it to this one. My family has a last minute vacation planned.
Check me out on Youtube

#28 tuna the fish

tuna the fish

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:24 PM

All signs point to me plus one going.

#29 nisaburo

nisaburo

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:32 AM

I'll have 2 at3ks, an air-op SM3k, firefly(taer?) and probably some other stuff for sale. Hopefully when Taerkitty has his fill of reactors there will be one left for me.

On a personal note, I entered the Orange Mod Works contest and would really appreciate the support. If you have the time and inclination please go to their facebook page and vote for my mavcon. If I win I'll show everyone the fancy aluminum internals at the next war~.

Edited by nisaburo, 20 July 2011 - 09:55 PM.

#30 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:23 AM

I actually found an old-school ballgun, the pre-Reactor with the vertical foregrip. I should be good.

I finished one of my projects, the HEAT Pistol (Hornet Expand-a-Tank):

Posted Image

It's got a plugged Hornet pump, and 20 strokes gives me 100' or so out of the hopper.

My Splatterick is off on the wayside. Maybe for Effin 2.4?

===

Here is nisaburo's entry.

===

Anyone willing to give me a ride from the Crossroads area in Bellevue?

Edited by taerKitty, 22 July 2011 - 02:24 AM.

Fugly is a feature.

#31 tuna the fish

tuna the fish

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:49 AM

Does anyone going to this war happen to have an automatic tommy 20 or two they might be willing to sell?

#32 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:34 AM

Edit: had some drama at work last night. Damage control may take me a few hours. I might be late.

Edited by taerKitty, 23 July 2011 - 10:32 AM.

Fugly is a feature.

#33 FoamMaster

FoamMaster

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

Turns out one of my friends can't make it, so it'll be just +2 for me. However, they live close to the park, and will be biking down there or carpooling seperately, so we will be arriving at slightly different times probably.

Anyway, to sell or trade, I'm bringing BBBB internals with a bad pump replacement anda PVC coupler, but a new pump could be installed. It includes a working tank, PVC barrel, and trigger.

Finally, Dayko, I'm bringing the EaB that is on the fritz, I was wondering if you could help me look at it and see what's wrong. Hope to see you all there!
This was a triumph.

#34 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

I am about to go on the road now. I'll see everyone there.

FoamMaster: I'll take a look at it over the lunch break and see what we can do for it.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#35 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:47 PM

Wow, what a war!

- It was an almost-perfect day for Nerfing. A little hot, a little bright, but, hey, this is the Puget Sound. We don't get to see the daystar that often.

- Dual wielding was my phrase of the day - dual wielding Atomic Splats, and dual wielding boffer bo-staves as a zombie. Yes, dual wielding Splats. One hoppered, the other RSCBed. OMG, that is so much fun!

- TDMZ was a riot, the good kind. That's Team Deathmatch Zombies, a pistol-only 3:15 TDM where you 'rise' as a zombie after losing three lives. Zombie hits count as a life, not an instant-infect.

- Watching someone go to town with my SVT/LAHB, and a barrel-mounted, shotgunned TESS.

- Watching someone else take target practice with one of the other 4B loaners, and make shots I certainly can't.

- HEAT Pistol rocked. (I had a kink in the airflow and aksed, "How do you keep your hose in line?" Tuna replied, "With a firm backhand.")

- Civil War with a blow gun and Ozzie sili-tips was a blast. Inf0rm3r's blue foam is impossible to miss during dart sweeps.

- My PulseStrike's 35-dart shotgun blast. "I'm only going to do this once." Whump! "Because it'll take forever to find all those effin' darts."

- Speaking of shotguns, Nisaburo's K9 PAS looks SO SCHWEET! You need to get a pic of it up on the Mod/PJ thread if you've not already.

- 15 or more Nerfers, but especially seeing TantumBull again after a year or two's distance. Oh, and that kid with the Alpha Trooper? Frickin' mad-dog rusher. Serious props for that.

===

- My SpritzSplat broke. Again.

- Rushing someone while dual-wielding my Atomic Splats, and wondering why one of the was firing, but no darts were exiting. Then I realized the hopper magazine popped off.

- Making an unintentional head shot on someone. I feel like crap when that happens.

- We need to set up time limits and announce sudden death. A lot of rounds felt like they dragged when one team was down to one or two people.

- Once again proving that I'm there to see what new stuff Darth, Daykow, Nisaburo, TantumBull (yay!) and others have cooking. By this, I mean that I can't Nerf worth a damn. I was probably the first person out in half the rounds, and I was definitely getting frequent flier miles on tapping the zombie respawn tree in TDMZ.

- Forgetting to bring so much stuff. My ride materialized early, so I had to drop everything. I had my shoulder-cam rig ready to try, too!

===

Dayko:

1. When's the next one? I will be gone from Aug 14th on til the end of the month, so don't factor me into your scheduling.

2. Looking forward to the pics.

Edited by taerKitty, 23 July 2011 - 10:36 PM.

Fugly is a feature.

#36 Lizard Messiah

Lizard Messiah

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:41 PM

Fun war guys, my friend and I had a great time. Thanks again to Dayko and Freyr for the loaner guns. And Freyr, so sorry about that handle. Not sure what happened there. Sad we had to leave early, but looking forward to the next one. Hope it's soon! Now I just have to fix that crossbow...
A man is scarcely a man without a handkerchief.

#37 nisaburo

nisaburo

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:48 PM

Great war as usual guys!
Highlights:
-talking shop with people and hammering out some interesting concepts.
-Winning civil war and taking home a shiny new leaky hornet.
-minimum amount of sportsmanship problems.

Hope to have a lot of new stuff done for the next round and I hope that goes for everyone else too.

BTW I was one of the winners of the Orange works mod contest for my mavcon. Anyone have suggestions for what I should pick? Thanks for the votes!

#38 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:48 PM

I don't know where to begin. Awesome war guy's. This is by far the best Nerf war we have had this year.

High Lights:

Getting the old gang back together ( Taer Kitty,Nisaburo,Tuna The Fish, Tantum Bull, Darth Freyr ) I had a blast nerfing with you guy's again. To the other nerfers, I hope you don't take offence to this, I had a lot of fun with you newer guy's as well. Hope you keep coming.

Meeting some new people.

Having my +Bow that I built work beautifully after I fixed the chopper issue.

Having the weather stay good all day.

TDMZ was a blast. Easily in my top 3 all time favorite game types.

Seeing Nisaburo's RFSG was awesome. Great work, Nisa.

Taers duel wielding his Atomic Splats was awesome to see. A very effective combo.

Seeing Taers HEAT pistol was cool. Hope you can work out those kinks.

Getting a Atom Blaster from Nisa and a UMB from Taer.

Giving Nisaburo a corsage for the round of Pimp.

Low Lights:

Having to wait for the family to leave so we could play with the full field.

Having issues with my +bow in the beginning.

Issues with the tarp barricades. Stupid things would not stay in the ground.

Having heard from a couple of different people that some people were not taking their hits. Some times we don't feel the hits but if someone tells you that they hit you odds are good that they did and you should just take the hit. We are here to have fun. If we get hit, we get hit. It just doesn't matter and in all honesty its in bad taste and it makes people not want to play with you anymore.

Just a quick, one time mention: I was told recently that it was suspected some players were smoking up at the war.... NOT COOL! I'm not going to name names or discuss this further -but- if I ever catch this at one of MY wars I will not hesitate to call the police and turn your ass in. We are all here to have fun and I'm not going to let someone screw that up for the rest of us. GET IT...NOT COOL AT ALL!!! Do your own thing on your own time in your own place.

Overall I had an awesome time nerfing with everyone. I hope to see you guy's at the next one!!

Now onto the pics:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#39 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

OH MY GOD. You can see the dart in that pic of me zipping out of the frame. That is too sick.

-I'm bringing nerf artillery to the next war
-I had a mini nerdgasm over Nisaburo's RFSG
-Got humiliated with an atom blaster... by Brent. I dunno how I can go on living with this stain on my soul.
-Got to see "the guys" again. There were some new people I liked too though. Lizard is a cool dude, hadn't met him before (though I guess he's actually been a member on here longer than myself haha).
-Taer's splat dualies
-After my initial annoyance with the foam society people, getting to talk with one of them during a lengthy water run showed me otherwise. Very chill guy, liked him a lot.
-Got to see Taer's office at Microsoft after the war. It was awesome. I think the fact that suction micros were acting as rubber band holders on the white board says enough.

Edit: Daniel, do you mind making the photo album public or giving me a private access link? I'd love to see all the other pictures from the war that you just couldn't fit in your post!

Edited by TantumBull, 25 July 2011 - 09:34 PM.

#40 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:26 PM

Great pictures! I'm so glad we have someone with a steady hand at the lens.

What mean you, 'artillery'? Like Buffy stuff? If you do, I'll start reconsidering my PulseStrikes. I have like 6 of them NiB, just waiting to be gutted. ;) Of course, that may take a little bit of time before I can get to it. That said, I'm going to be a no-show the month of August. Summer vacation, etc. I hope to have the HEAT3 ready by then. If all goes well, it'll be three hoppered Hornet tanks.

Oh, I forgot a highlight - Nisa's new dartsmithing technique. (Now you have to post, Nisa. Bwa-hahaha!)
Fugly is a feature.

#41 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:18 AM

Great pictures! I'm so glad we have someone with a steady hand at the lens.

What mean you, 'artillery'? Like Buffy stuff? If you do, I'll start reconsidering my PulseStrikes. I have like 6 of them NiB, just waiting to be gutted. ;) Of course, that may take a little bit of time before I can get to it. That said, I'm going to be a no-show the month of August. Summer vacation, etc. I hope to have the HEAT3 ready by then. If all goes well, it'll be three hoppered Hornet tanks.

Oh, I forgot a highlight - Nisa's new dartsmithing technique. (Now you have to post, Nisa. Bwa-hahaha!)

Like Buff's but with at least 200 more darts :)

#42 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

Not a problem, Tantum:
http://s190.photobuc...ko19/Marrymore/

Another thing I forgot to mention: I agree with Taer about the time limits. It did drag in places. So for the next war there will be a time limit for each game. Example:
3:15 Death Match 15 minute time limit it. If there are still people at the end of the 15 minutes then it will go into sudden death and everyone has one hit point and 5 minutes to finish the match.

We'll do this to every game just so we can keep the day going smoothly and we can get as much nerfing in as possible.

#43 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

Woah. Weird double post. Sorry about that.

Edited by Dayko, 26 July 2011 - 01:38 PM.

#44 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:32 PM

Until Dayko posts the next war thread, let's repurpose this one as the planning /brainstorming one.

===

We need a clarification on gun kits (and melee weapon hits for zeds.) The OFS have some gunblades they've invested heavily in, so saying that gun hits count as a life work against them.

We need a rule on melee weapons during non-zed rounds. Can we? Should we? I'm not making a rule here. I'm just bringing up areas that could / should be clarified ahead of time.

Though, we could rule that gun hits count, but so does melee. This balances those huge gunblades - they're bigger targets, but also at-the-ready melee weapons usable by one's dominant hand if the wielder can get close. They don't require reloading, etc, so they have the advantage up close, but they're not century cannons, so they're on the short end at range.

===

We should get an egg timer, one of those that rings loudly, and set it for 15 minutes. This is so no one has to sit out a round to be timekeeper. Then again, I'm usually the one of first one out, so ... ;)

===

I hate base-squatting during medic rounds. I know that's how the game is played, but it usually ends up that the game winds down to the medic and one wingman within arm's reach of the tree.

We could have a variant of this - a bomb run (a.k.a flag push) with medic. Start with one of the huge blaster crates (unloaded) in the middle of the field. It starts out empty. If it ever contains five blasters, it goes off and kills everyone within 3 paces, as measured by the person who put the last blaster in and sets it off. This includes the medic, even if he's at the base. For pedantic purposes, a pace is a large stride, both feet on the ground. No broad jumps, for you track-and-field stars out there. :)

(Sadly, this also kills they brave soul who sets off the bomb.)

Everyone can only carry one blaster this round. This way, you can't load up, dump the crate, then set it off with a pocketful of SSPBs.

===

I'll spring for 48 bottles of water at Costco or wherever. We don't have a water fountain nearby, and I don't want anyone getting dehydrated. I don't drive, so we'll need arrange beforehand for someone to do the buy, and I'll pay you back. If you have an ice chest, I'll also pay for a bag or two of ice.

===

For speed in selecting teams, we can pre-number the nametags. That way, one round can be start out 'all evens', the next could be high/low. If it ends up one side is horribly outgunned, Dayko can then swap people to even things out. As people have to leave, the highest number gets reassigned the number of the departing Nerfer - this way we always have a contiguous series.

===

Thoughts / suggestions / arguments / flames?
Fugly is a feature.

#45 nisaburo

nisaburo

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:17 AM

I agree with a lot of your points, Taer. However, Im sorry to single out OFS but I don't think that giving them special melee rules for every round is a good solution. Its going to lead to a lot of complicated situations, uncontrolled charges by melee users and wild point blank shots with powerful blasters. Some of the regular group have already been hurt by OFS gunblades due to a lack of padding and uncontrolled swings.

If I went to one of OFS's games I wouldn't bring my RFSG and 2K, I would bring something appropriate to the game type.

Bottom line: Don't bring a knife to my gun fight and I won't bring a gun to your knife fight.

#46 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:38 AM

I'd also like to point out that if someone is blatantly ignoring the rules by which we play, all those that abide by the rules have the right to simply disregard that player. For example, if you're trying to melee me as a human, when I'm a zombie, and it was explicitly stated several times that humans can't use melee weapons, then I'm just going to ignore you as a player, whether you shoot me or hit me with your foam sword.

For the newer players who don't know how to deal with douchebags, rather than arguing with them about who's out during the round, just ignore them for the time being and talk to Daniel about it later.

#47 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

Sadly, Dayko, being the war owner, is also our Department of DBag Control. That said, I hope no one attends a war just to fuck it up. I'm hoping we can set up rules clearly before hand, and those who think this crimps their style too much will opt out. Additionally, I don't want it to be personal - even though we are reacting to some new aspects to our war, the point is to address those new and undesirable aspects, not to single out people.

===

These are my suggestions:

Dual-wielding blasters and melee: No. You're either melee-only, or blaster-only. We're here to shoot, humans and zeds alike. Zeds are allowed to melee because that the way the game is played. If I had my way, there'd be no melee at all. I repeat, I'm here to shoot.

Gun hits: Yes. We've always done gun hits in the past, and if we don't, there's no stopping people from making manta-like monstrosities. That said, the Nerf Manta and the Captain America shield are the only exception. If it shoots foam and was designed and sold as a shield, it's allowed. No, the Stonewall doesn't count, because it doesn't shoot.

Smoking: Yes. It's a commonly-accepted habit. I'd rather people not, but I understand that it causes some (psychological?) addiction.

Alcohol: No. It sets a bad example for the younger members, and that may cause their parents to yank them from the next wars. It also depresses inhibitions, which can lead to injury, both to self and others. Plus, it dehydrates you. I haven't seen anyone drink, but I figure if I'm talking vices, may as well complete the trifecta.

Getting high: Fuck no. See above, plus it may cause the police to close us down. And it will give us a bad name.

'Gay' coloured flagging tape: My job has a simple rule: don't bring complaints, bring solutions. You don't like choosing between pink and orange, bring an alternative. Just make sure you bring enough to share - there's no promise any given set of friends will be on the same team every time. Also, I'd advise against crepe paper - the dye runs when it's wet, which can stain clothes.

Moving mobstacles: No. They're a pain in the ass to get set up, so let's leave them the alone. BTW, Dayko, if you drill a hole across the PVC next to where it joins the elbow, we can run zip-ties between the two pipes that enter the elbow. That may keep them from falling apart in the breeze.

Three-way TDM: Fuck yeah!

===

Again, a lot of these may seem to single out the newcomers, but that's not my goal. With new blood comes new ideas, new ways to play. We tried it, and I don't like some of those new ideas. This is a single person speaking his mind. Some of these are reaction to the gunblades. I appreciate that a lot of thought, time, and money went into them. They look fucking awesome. However, I've played against them, and I don't think they add enough to the game to make up for how they change it.
Fugly is a feature.

#48 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

First off, I don't plan on making special rules for the OFS. If they want to come to our wars then they will play by our rules. Not trying to sound like an asshole or anything but I wouldn't go to one of their wars and expect special treatment. If you want to use your gunblades that's fine as long as you don't try and hit anybody with them.
If you want to try and act like a douche bag with them then they will not be allowed to use them. Several members have talked to me about their weapons and how they didn't like the aspect of someone running up and hitting them. That is why I banned all melee weapons from regular play. This is a "NERF" war, we want to shoot each other. The only time for melee weapons is in zombie type games.

If someone is acting like a douche bag, come talk to me about it and I will talk to the person about it. We are all here to have fun and we don't want our day spoiled because someone wants to be a jerk.

If someone is blatantly not following the rules please tell me about it and I will deal with it. Again I want everyone to have a great time at these wars and I don't want someone messing that up.

As for blaster hits they have always counted and always will. If you want to bring an over sized blaster that limits your mobility then that is your deal. If the blaster gets hit then you take the hit.

As for the 'gay' colored tape this is the first I have heard about it. Taer said it best though "You don't like choosing between pink and orange, bring an alternative. Just make sure you bring enough to share".

For the mobstacles they are a bitch to set up and to keep in place. I don't want to be doing this every round because someone wants to try and run with it as a shield.
I'm not complaining but I have a small fortune wrapped up for the benefit of great group nerfing and I would like these to last more then a couple of wars. It's disrespectful to misuse anybody's stuff your using. I like your idea for the mobstacles, Taer. I will do that to them for the next war.

Again I'm not trying to be an asshole. I just can't justify giving special rules to people who don't want to play by our rules. Now I am open to new ideas and game types, that's how we develop new games and fine tune them and make them awesome. But when it starts to take over what we all love to do ( Which is nerf ) then I can't allow that.

We all love nerfing this is why we all put so much time into it and let's make it what we want. Let's make it an experience that we all love.

#49 Gunther

Gunther

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

As an aside, I do believe the guys from OFS are not yet vetted as full members to this site. And such, have no ability to speak up in this discussion.

#50 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:43 AM

On the subject of mobstacles, someone at work was giving away tarps, so I picked a few up.

I have an idea for what could be an easier-to-transport mobstacle. Use a 4-way tee and run the pole diagonally. Each pole has an end that has a hole drilled in it for zip ties. They go through the grommets in the tarps, holding them up. The ones that end up on the lower corners also are zip tied to tent stakes. Harbor Freight has them for cheap.

The 4-way tee has a hole drilled through it and another pole attached by, you guessed it, zip ties! This will just out the back to stabilize the mobstacle.

Advantages

- Poles are shorter - we're talking half the diagonal, which is roughly 1.4 x the height (and width, assuming square). So the pole will end up about 30% shorter.

- Less hardware - one 4-way tee vs. 2 90-degree elbows. Unsure the price difference, though.

- More stable. Current mobstacles have two contact points. These proposed new ones have three.

- Less resistant to coming apart - the way I envision it, this will use the tension of the tarp to keep the pieces in place, thanks to the zip ties.

Disadvantages

- The upper poles just end with open pipe. Current ones end in a 90-degree elbow. Maybe put a tennis ball at the end?

- More pipe - the X will have as much pipe as three sides, and we're adding another half-diagonal for the supporting strut.

- Consumes zip ties. Harbor Freight has them for cheap, but it's one more thing to forget / deal with.
Fugly is a feature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users