Aluminum AT2K Tank

Finally Works

24 replies to this topic

#1 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:34 PM

Rather than reviving the 364-day old thread on these, I figured I'd just start a new one.

I finally got around to working on the aluminum 2K tanks again, and this time, I got a prototype to work. As far as I can tell, there are no leaks, but I'm waiting for the epoxy to cure completely before I try using a higher pressure.

Pictures:

Posted Image
As you can see, the epoxy got a little smudged in a few areas, so it's not as good-looking as it could be, but it's just a prototype. The final version will be threaded.

Posted Image
The hose barb is also epoxied in. This will most likely not change. The plug that holds the O-ring in is delrin instead of aluminum in this version, simply because I was out of aluminum. This forced me to run a bead of CA glue around the edge of the plug, since there was a slight leak. The white stuff around the stem on the back is overspray from the CA activator I used. I'm pretty sure it will wash off.

Posted Image
I used a faucet washer rather than an O-ring to seal the front end of the valve this time. It has not given me any issues whatsoever.

I posted a video of it on Youtube for your viewing pleasure.

Youtube

LS and Retaliator boltsleds are currently available at https://www.facebook.com/RoboM8/

#2 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:17 AM

Looks pretty cool. Glad you got it work!

#3 ChaosPropel

ChaosPropel

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:31 AM

Very nice! If these work, will you be selling them?
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

#4 WicketTheModder619

WicketTheModder619

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:34 AM

Very cool! I remember when you first started working on these and seeing the early prototypes. You have come a long way from the earlier model. I would also be interested if you are going to sell these.
23:06 Buffdaddy: As long as they aren't doing it all night, don't care.

#5 blitz

blitz

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:44 AM

That is really cool. I like it.

Just curious, why didn't you use a barb instead of a twist quick release tubing coupler?
Blitz, member of the FNBS
"sexual innuendo no intendo"

#6 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:54 AM

That is really cool. I like it.

Just curious, why didn't you use a barb instead of a twist quick release tubing coupler?

I didn't use a quick-disconnect because there was no space for one. Also, almost all Nerf tubing works well with 1/8" barbs, but certain guns have tubing that is too large to fit in a normal 1/4" quick disconnect. Also, hose barbs are cheap.

Yes, I will be selling these fairly soon. They will be $20 each, plus shipping.

Youtube

LS and Retaliator boltsleds are currently available at https://www.facebook.com/RoboM8/

#7 meatballica

meatballica

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

Do these fit in the space where the stock Air Tech 200o airtank was? I'm guessing they do but you'd know for sure.
"You've waged your war on nerves, but you can't crush the kingdom."

#8 Ozymandias

Ozymandias

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:44 PM

Do these fit in the space where the stock Air Tech 200o airtank was? I'm guessing they do but you'd know for sure.

I believe he mentioned his tanks are bigger the 2k tanks, so you would have to do some dremeling.

These are damn impressive. Have you considered making a 3k/larger version of this?

Also, have you taken these up to higher pressures?
If you wish to post anything HvZ related, here ya go.

"...if you've ever suffered the effects of a fucking faggot retard overpopulation, you'll understand what devistaiting effects it can have on one's psyche." - Talio

#9 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

They're supposed to. I messed up on this one and made it 1/16" longer than it should be, so it doesn't fit.
However, I made one today that does fit, but the seal around the pin is no good.

Oz, I have considered it, and I definitely will, once I get a 3K. I've taken these up to 125 psi, and they're fine, though I wouldn't do that in a war, for safety's sake.

Youtube

#10 thedom21

thedom21

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:33 PM

Well if you are selling them I will take one. I need it to replace my leaky 2k tank.
Funny Irc moments

22:32 hookerninja I would just switch to 2 full 69's
22:32 hookerninja that would diddle shit

11:44 Zorn Her butt is too tiny even for limp 6th grade penis?
11:44 Zorn ergo the dildo

#11 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:58 PM

Alright, but it could be a month or so before I have a design that I'm happy with.

Youtube

#12 thedom21

thedom21

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:43 AM

Alright, but it could be a month or so before I have a design that I'm happy with.

That's fine, just shoot me a pm when it is ready.
Funny Irc moments

22:32 hookerninja I would just switch to 2 full 69's
22:32 hookerninja that would diddle shit

11:44 Zorn Her butt is too tiny even for limp 6th grade penis?
11:44 Zorn ergo the dildo

#13 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:28 AM

That's fine, just shoot me a pm when it is ready.

X2---I would love to have at least 1 for an upcoming build.
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

#14 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

You actually finished it!!! Sweet!
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#15 makeitgo

makeitgo

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:16 PM

I will definitely be commissioning one or five of these off of you. When you try your hand at replicating an SM5K tank, you will be rich!!!!
"...he is one speedy bastard." ~ Cheyner

#16 Wickbuddy

Wickbuddy

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:54 PM

nice, i don't feel the need to buy one, but nice thinking. It will be hard for leaks to happen in that tank :lol:
Check me out on Youtube

#17 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:08 PM

I will definitely be commissioning one or five of these off of you. When you try your hand at replicating an SM5K tank, you will be rich!!!!

Awesome! Heh, if you can get me the dimensions of a SM5K tank, that will definitely be my next project.

Youtube

#18 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:49 PM

I'm not a materials engineer, and I don't know if it was resolved in the last thread, but does the conversion from plastic to metal effect the range or the amount of pressure needed for comparable range?
The Difference:
-Guns shoot bullets that kill people
-Blasters shoot darts that tag people

I do not play with guns.

#19 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:07 PM

Nope, it's all based on the orifice at the front of the tank, the diameter of the plug, and the overall volume of the tank itself. In the current prototypes, I'm using a '1/2"' faucet washer, which is really closer to 7/8" at its widest point. Eventually, I'll get some smaller ones that are more comparable to the ones in actual AT2K tanks, so that the flow is improved.

Youtube

#20 Nerf Gra

Nerf Gra

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

I will also probably want one of these.
QUOTE(VelveetaAvenger @ Dec 6 2010, 12:14 AM) View Post

Maybe there's no Mcmaster, but you could make the first coconut airtank.

#21 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:43 PM

Alright, sounds good. I ordered 2' of the aluminum yesterday, which is enough for ~12 valves. Assuming I get them done in time, I'll bring them to 'geddon to sell. They're $20 each.

Youtube

#22 KoRnEd

KoRnEd

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:27 AM

Awesome! I will be buying 1or 2 at geddon. If I get my 3k before geddon, do you think you want to perhaps make a trade?

20:07 tiredKitty living in NYC, you could spend a lot of time in Chinatown and only speak the mother tongue
20:07 tiredKitty Not a good idea, btw.

I have identified the problem: "maverick"

#23 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:31 PM

For the 3K? Probably not, I already have a deal going for one.

Youtube

#24 KoRnEd

KoRnEd

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:49 AM

Alright! I'll still be buying at least one of these at geddon so save me one. Back on topic,does the faucet valve require intens amounts of lubricant to hold a seal/ pull?

20:07 tiredKitty living in NYC, you could spend a lot of time in Chinatown and only speak the mother tongue
20:07 tiredKitty Not a good idea, btw.

I have identified the problem: "maverick"

#25 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:06 PM

It requires next to no lubrication. I generally add a little bit of silicone to it, just in case, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. The pull is a little harder than that of a normal 2K, but not significantly so.

IMPORTANT EDIT: Well, crap. My metal hasn't arrived yet. It's unlikely that I'll have 10 tanks at 'geddon. Hopefully, I'll have at least three or four, but there are no guarantees. There should be at least one, along with the two prototypes, for your viewing pleasure, and I'll be taking orders as well.

Edited by roboman, 27 June 2011 - 10:34 PM.

Youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users