Another Recon Mod

OMW parts + PETG breech

44 replies to this topic

#26 LT DAN ICE CREAM

LT DAN ICE CREAM

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:08 AM

With an addition of a powerstock and the Stage 2 upgrade kit, you may very well take a Recon to 100'.

#27 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:15 AM

LT. Dan----while some are quick to call BS on my ranges, question my mods----I don't see 90' as impossible......though I am sure someone will post here saying it's impossible. Some said the quadshot could never hit 140' either, but MIG proved those people wrong. Time and video will tell.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

#28 lionhawk

lionhawk

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:55 AM

Great mod. The idea of a recon primary is amazing.

#29 Beasty Billy

Beasty Billy

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:43 AM

With an addition of a powerstock and the Stage 2 upgrade kit, you may very well take a Recon to 100'.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the recon's plunger type too low in volume to pull 100'?
Talking about Mario Cart gamemode:

Sounds fun... I wonder what people that have no idea what you are doing think when they see a bunch of guys with balloons tide to themselves shooting each other with toy guns.

#30 LT DAN ICE CREAM

LT DAN ICE CREAM

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:01 PM

Hence why you don't use the stock Recon internals and go with these instead:

Posted Image

#31 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:05 PM

@ LT Dan---correct. The OrangeModWorks parts will allow me to use a larger preload spacer and power stock without fear of the PT and bolt exploding. The OMW bolt and PT is also slightly larger.......we will see what I can squeeze out of it soon.
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife

#32 aj1234119

aj1234119

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:36 PM

Even if there are better primaries, a clip fed secondary pistol with 80' ranges would be great.

#33 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:29 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the recon's plunger type too low in volume to pull 100'?

I can't say as of right now, but so far I am pleased with the results. An average of 65' fired flat---outdoors. With what I have planned, I hope to edge closer anyway.

Proof for doubters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R90LxAwytdQ

#34 chavez guy

chavez guy

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:33 PM

So unless I am entirely missing the point, this setup (using different sizes in brass, and nesting brass inside the PETG) can be adjusted to fit different size darts, correct?
Hablamos EspaƱol

#35 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

So unless I am entirely missing the point, this setup (using different sizes in brass, and nesting brass inside the PETG) can be adjusted to fit different size darts, correct?

The fit can be changed by nesting a 17/32 barrel in the PETG. So, if you cant find a good PETG fit---you can simply nest some 17/32. This way you can still use your breech, while changing foam sizes.

#36 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:04 AM

It would be more like the brass acting as a telescoped barrel, or "tightening ring" to give the darts a little more resistance while air pressure builds up. A short region of higher friction is a good substitute for barrel length in most cases.

I'd have to disagree. The dart tooth is gone seeing as the PETG has no cuts for it to fit through. The dart gets pushed into the PETG barrel and the 17/32" brass seals it when the breach is closed. The dart won't go into the 17/32" segment when the PETG is going to create a lot less friction as it's looser on the dart.

Rogue, correct me if I'm wrong here.

#37 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:49 AM

I'd have to disagree. The dart tooth is gone seeing as the PETG has no cuts for it to fit through. The dart gets pushed into the PETG barrel and the 17/32" brass seals it when the breach is closed. The dart won't go into the 17/32" segment when the PETG is going to create a lot less friction as it's looser on the dart.

Rogue, correct me if I'm wrong here.

Tantum----sounds right. The 17/32 is the pusher, haven't had a dart go inside the brass stub yet---because they are a PETG fit and thus a tad big to easily slide into the stub. As long as you cut the stub short as shown in the write-up---you shouldn't get any dart-chop. If you do, your brass stub is too long.

#38 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:53 AM

Does the power increase make up for the added deadspace?

#39 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

I tend to think so--an average of 65' flat from some fairly mild mods is pretty encouraging. I have more coming----which should really show how much the added deadspace affects the ranges------if at all. Many modders found that doing the "Straw" mod didnt help the Recons Range at all----so we will see.

Edited by NerfRogue83, 12 June 2011 - 12:46 PM.

#40 Beasty Billy

Beasty Billy

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:09 PM

@ LT Dan---correct. The OrangeModWorks parts will allow me to use a larger preload spacer and power stock without fear of the PT and bolt exploding. The OMW bolt and PT is also slightly larger.......we will see what I can squeeze out of it soon.

So it adds volume and allows better springs? Got it. I could probably see at least 80 flat then. Thanks for clearing that up.
Talking about Mario Cart gamemode:

Sounds fun... I wonder what people that have no idea what you are doing think when they see a bunch of guys with balloons tide to themselves shooting each other with toy guns.

#41 LTJG Rob

LTJG Rob

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:14 PM

Out of curiosity, have you had any problems with your Recon not firing when you pull the trigger with the OMW catch installed? For some reason I have been having a hard time getting it to fire.

#42 T3K

T3K

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:06 AM

We mod to keep up with each other, to attempt to keep the field level in play. We'll all be running around with the same blasters with all metal internals, all shooting the same distances, never having any problems, great ROF and Range, and nerfing will no longer be nerfing. The thing that attracts me to nerf, as I'm sure it does alot of people, is the creativity involved with it. It's not fun if things go right 100% of the time, and if you can't build something on your own. What makes this any different then airsoft or paintball? Sure, it doesn't shoot as far or hurt as much, but really, whats the difference?

The paintball argument is totally invalid so drop it. Airsoft is another story.

ONTOPIC : Between hoppers and slugs, range and rof have pretty much been eliminated as factors. It's pretty much come down top ergonomics and what you like to use the best. I mean my BBBB or something of the like since I sold some of my other blasters will go up with a doomsayer no problem and have done it before.

Another point is that if you don't want it on the field don't use it. Use what you want not what everyone else is. Not everyone will buy this stuff, even true modders may use these parts in some blasters but still mod stuff. Modding will never die and that's a fact.

EDIT: Rogue is living proof that premade parts don't kill modding.

Edited by T3K, 14 June 2011 - 01:09 AM.

#43 andtheherois

andtheherois

• Banned
  • 821 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:13 AM

After seeing your writeup, it makes me sad that I diddled the insides of my recon to put a BS tank in there. And I'm sure seeing everyone's clear recons with Aluminum Breech+PT will make me feel worse. I'm going to guess you'll have to revise your Barrel setup for the aluminum bolt.
The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#44 LT DAN ICE CREAM

LT DAN ICE CREAM

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:51 AM

Judging by what OMW is saying about their Stage 2 kits, the breech should be the same diameter as the stock breech. You just may be able to solder in a piece of brass in instead of gluing one in. Of course, if your darts are a snug fit in the breech already, this point is moot.

I'm actually excited to see internals like this that make these inverse plunger blasters more durable, seeing as must of the IP blasters have extremely comfortable/good looking shells. I can't wait to get my hands on a clear Recon and adding these parts to it.

Edited by LT. DAN ICE CREAM!!!, 17 June 2011 - 07:55 AM.

#45 Ozymandias

Ozymandias

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

I tend to think so--an average of 65' flat from some fairly mild mods is pretty encouraging. I have more coming----which should really show how much the added deadspace affects the ranges------if at all. Many modders found that doing the "Straw" mod didnt help the Recons Range at all----so we will see.

I recall there was a thread a while back where I asked about dead space, and the conclusion we drew was that airflow is more important. This is why the straw mod does not increase ranges by much, if at all.
If you wish to post anything HvZ related, here ya go.

"...if you've ever suffered the effects of a fucking faggot retard overpopulation, you'll understand what devistaiting effects it can have on one's psyche." - Talio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users