Another Recon Mod

OMW parts + PETG breech

44 replies to this topic

#1 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:59 PM

My interest in IP Blasters has been renewed lately. More from less, thats the goal here. I want to say a BIG thanks to OrangeModWorks for making the awesome new kits they offer---seeing them also contributed to my rekindled interest in the Recon. Thanks Guys!

Posted Image

Ok, so I got some goodies today-----my Stage1 kit, and a clear Recon :mrgreen:

Posted Image

I am making this write-up to show you how to take your Recon a step further---so I will assume you have taken your A/R out, and improved your plunger seal. Its not a bad idea to pad+reinforce the back of the PT also. I would have installed a L/R, but it's only like 18 days until I get my stage2 kit from OrangeModWorks. Anywho, open up your Recon----remove all your internals:

Posted Image

Throw away the dart tooth----from here on we are firing stefans! Grab a segment of PETG, and wrap with E-tape as shown:

Posted Image

Install your wrapped PETG into the Recons barrel guide/stub as shown.......

Posted Image
Posted Image

Secure with Hotglue at the front AND back. You want the PETG to stay put!

Take a 1" stub of 17/32 brass--- with some strategic sanding to the ID of the Recons bolt it will slid in. The key is to sand the ID so the brass stub is nice and snug. Also a key----sand the top and sides so your PETG can slide freely without binding. Your stub should look like this:

Posted Image

When positioned, secure the stub with superglue. Your finished breech....

Posted Image

This is an adapted version of the breech in my "IronHide" LS......its cheap, easy, and now your Recon fires stefans! Back to the mod......

Install the OrangeModWorks parts.....catch+spring, Plunger spring, and back plate. Be sure your back plate is seated correctly, like so......

Posted Image

For posterity----OMW spring next to a RFSG spring....

Posted Image

Finished guts!

Posted Image

Breech......closed---

Posted Image

Breech......Open----

Posted Image

Super sweet Overview and firing vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLG9Fhldcyg
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

#2 Nate45

Nate45

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:05 AM

What kind of PETG is that? Is it medium or thick walled?

#3 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

What kind of PETG is that? Is it medium or thick walled?

Medium.....17/32 nests in medium
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife

#4 blitz

blitz

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:58 AM

What are ranges? Somebody has to ask.
Blitz, member of the FNBS
"sexual innuendo no intendo"

#5 xet

xet

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

What are ranges? Somebody has to ask.

Just guesstimating here but I would suspect it to be around 60 feet? Also, do you have have any plans for reinforcing the plunger tube due to the fact that Recon's PTs seem to be prone to breaking
Fome:
"What the fuck?
A "borrowed" picture and a theoretical picture drawn in paint? Yeah, great writeup"

#6 ScoutsIX3

ScoutsIX3

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:29 PM

Just guesstimating here but I would suspect it to be around 60 feet? Also, do you have have any plans for reinforcing the plunger tube due to the fact that Recon's PTs seem to be prone to breaking

OrangeModWorks Stage 2 kit contains a plunger assembly and plunger tube machined out of aluminum.
Unleashed Performance Kit Stage 2

Edited by ScoutsIX3, 09 June 2011 - 03:30 PM.

#7 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:32 PM

Honestly---without measurements (for now) I have to say its like 70', which is of course my guess based on the fact that it seems to fire about as hard as "Ratchet". I expect to clear 80' easily once I get my OMW stage2 kit, and add a preload spacer. I was going to make a L/R PT---but I will have my OrangeModWorks stage2 kit in like three weeks, so no point.

#8 blitz

blitz

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:33 PM

I was wondering because the Orangeworks site says that they can get 80'. Granted, those are with streamlines and stefans are very different. (no shit)

#9 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:36 PM

I was wondering because the Orangeworks site says that they can get 80'. Granted, those are with streamlines and stefans are very different. (no shit)

Very true.....streamlines are very sparatic.

Edited by NerfRogue83, 09 June 2011 - 03:37 PM.

#10 aj1234119

aj1234119

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

I'm assuming that 70' is flat, right? The 80' Orange Mod Works claim is angled.

Edited by aj1234119, 09 June 2011 - 03:55 PM.

#11 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:42 PM

I'm assuming that 70'' is flat, right? the 80'' Orange Mod Works claims is angled.

I wouldnt waste my time measuring/shooting anything BUT shots fired flat.

Also to be noted is that the shots were single BB stefans.....I will be using 3/0's for the next stage, and I will report on any advantage or loss.

Edited by NerfRogue83, 09 June 2011 - 03:43 PM.

#12 Edible Autopsy

Edible Autopsy

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:44 PM

I'm assuming that 70' is flat, right? The 80' Orange Mod Works claim is angled.

I believe that they made a mistake on the website. On the chronometer it showed 80 feet per second, which is a velocity, but they may have accidentally translated it to just straight range.
Hot glue is my best friend.

#13 chavez guy

chavez guy

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:39 PM

I really like the simplicity of the breech. The ability to fire stefans is a major bonus in my opinion. Is it designed in a way so that the stefan goes INSIDE the 17/32 brass? or does the brass push it into the PETG? And if it is medium wall PETG, wouldn't it be too loose on your darts? or are they just really fat?

Thanks for doing such a nice clear write up.
Hablamos EspaƱol

#14 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

I really like the simplicity of the breech. The ability to fire stefans is a major bonus in my opinion. Is it designed in a way so that the stefan goes INSIDE the 17/32 brass? or does the brass push it into the PETG? And if it is medium wall PETG, wouldn't it be too loose on your darts? or are they just really fat?

Thanks for doing such a nice clear write up.

The 17/32 acts as a dart pusher---as well as the seal for the breech. Interestingly: A segment of 17/32 could also easily be nested in the barrel, positioned so that the dart is pushed in the brass---while still leaving a small amount of PETG left to seal against the stub in the bolt. INSTANT dart-fit change!

I have a small amount of foam that is a good fit for medium walled PETG. I do need more......wink,wink... :rolleyes:

Edited by NerfRogue83, 09 June 2011 - 05:56 PM.

#15 chavez guy

chavez guy

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:31 PM

The 17/32 acts as a dart pusher---as well as the seal for the breech. Interestingly: A segment of 17/32 could also easily be nested in the barrel, positioned so that the dart is pushed in the brass---while still leaving a small amount of PETG left to seal against the stub in the bolt. INSTANT dart-fit change!

I have a small amount of foam that is a good fit for medium walled PETG. I do need more......wink,wink... :rolleyes:

So the 17/32 brass acts as the barrel? Would that make the PETG a faux barrel?
Hablamos EspaƱol

#16 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:20 PM

I think it's pretty cool what Orange Mod Works is doing, creating all metal arts for nerf guns, but when you think about it, lets look at this from a few points of view.

HVZ player/General person
This is amazing for a college kid or HVZ player, someone who isn't really into modding but very much into nerfing. It's also prefect for say, an office worker who has office wars and wants an edge, or something of the like. It's cheap, easy to install, and won't break, whats better then that?

Modders
There's no creativity what so ever. This just took the modding out of modding. If kits like this come out for each nerf blaster, as it seems would be the best financial gain for the company, then whats the point in even modding in the first place? We mod to keep up with each other, to attempt to keep the field level in play. We'll all be running around with the same blasters with all metal internals, all shooting the same distances, never having any problems, great ROF and Range, and nerfing will no longer be nerfing. The thing that attracts me to nerf, as I'm sure it does alot of people, is the creativity involved with it. It's not fun if things go right 100% of the time, and if you can't build something on your own. What makes this any different then airsoft or paintball? Sure, it doesn't shoot as far or hurt as much, but really, whats the difference?

Really, I do think the kits are a cool idea. I just think it also just takes the fun away. Will I use them? I'll give them a try. Am I against them? Only to a certain level. Sorry if this is a little off topic for this thread, but I thought it would be a good place to bring it up.

If these kits were only created for a few kinds of blasters, or only certain parts for each blasters, then I'd be entirely for them. Cause then you still get to do something yourself and be creative with accomplishing a mod. But with nothing to go wrong with them, then theres no thought put into a blaster from a modders stand point. Am I the only one that is thinking along these lines?
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#17 ImportedUniversal

ImportedUniversal

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

No Ice, I was thinking the exact same thing.
However, this would be good for a modding n00b (like me) to get their grips. Selling reinforced catches and shit is great, as I have no time, space, or materials to make something reliable. Every time I try something major, I royally fuck the blaster's shit up.
At the same time, creativity will rule the day, but I would like to think of OMW as internal accessories, not complete mods.

And thus, my daily dose of typing ends.
Ever tried to shove a cactus up your ass? It hurts like hell.

And My primary is an RFR because i like to rub my nipples.

#18 blitz

blitz

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:06 PM

I think it's pretty cool what Orange Mod Works is doing, creating all metal arts for nerf guns, but when you think about it, lets look at this from a few points of view.

Yeah, but these are only for reverse-plunger blasters, The website for these things says so, also reverse plunger blasters can't really be modded well. (Also on Nrev) Modifications (and homemades) like the Rouge's "Ratchet", Lt. Stefan's "Reconbow" and even BrokenSVT's pulsestrike recon are cool, but some take away the internals and others have a range limit of 70'. These are simply metal copies of the original internals, and hell, why can't they be modded? In case you haven't noticed, homemades have really sorta have the same range, few problems, and with a hopper have a killer ROF.

#19 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

HVZ player/General person
This is amazing for a college kid or HVZ player, someone who isn't really into modding but very much into nerfing. It's also prefect for say, an office worker who has office wars and wants an edge, or something of the like. It's cheap, easy to install, and won't break, whats better then that?

Modders
There's no creativity what so ever. This just took the modding out of modding. If kits like this come out for each nerf blaster, as it seems would be the best financial gain for the company, then whats the point in even modding in the first place? We mod to keep up with each other, to attempt to keep the field level in play. We'll all be running around with the same blasters with all metal internals, all shooting the same distances, never having any problems, great ROF and Range, and nerfing will no longer be nerfing. The thing that attracts me to nerf, as I'm sure it does alot of people, is the creativity involved with it. It's not fun if things go right 100% of the time, and if you can't build something on your own. What makes this any different then airsoft or paintball? Sure, it doesn't shoot as far or hurt as much, but really, whats the difference?

Really, I do think the kits are a cool idea. I just think it also just takes the fun away. Will I use them? I'll give them a try. Am I against them? Only to a certain level. Sorry if this is a little off topic for this thread, but I thought it would be a good place to bring it up.

If these kits were only created for a few kinds of blasters, or only certain parts for each blasters, then I'd be entirely for them. Cause then you still get to do something yourself and be creative with accomplishing a mod. But with nothing to go wrong with them, then theres no thought put into a blaster from a modders stand point. Am I the only one that is thinking along these lines?

Actually----its not the place to bring it up. You are entitled to your opinion, but you didnt need to thread-jack a write-up to state your viewpoint.You would shit a brick if this was done in your thread. A simple thread in General nerf or Off topic would have done. Thank you for this----it was helpfull to those interested in the modification. Too blunt?--Sorry(Not really)

EDIT: Thanks for the PM ice-----its cute that you think I care about your opinion of me.......and that I am on "thin ice" (pun?)

Edited by NerfRogue83, 09 June 2011 - 10:56 PM.

#20 Bbdude

Bbdude

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:21 AM

So the 17/32 brass acts as the barrel? Would that make the PETG a faux barrel?

The 17/32 PUSHES the dart into the PETG so, no the PETG is the actual barrel.

Nice work Rogue, hope your future plans for it go well, nice recon btw :P

Edited by Bbdude, 10 June 2011 - 12:21 AM.

#21 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:32 AM

EDIT: Thanks for the PM ice-----its cute that you think I care about your opinion of me.......and that I am on "thin ice" (pun?)

Well your such a bitch about me "clogging" your precious thread with my "Un-needed opinion", I figured I'd just pm you instead.

Also, adding more deadspace to a recon, fucking brilliant.

Edited by ice, 10 June 2011 - 05:34 AM.

<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#22 Nerfomania

Nerfomania

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:50 AM

Wow. Chill out guys. A thread is not the place to be airing all your feuding. Let's get back to the mod disscussion please. I actually like that this mod is cheap and fairly simple. Would you lose performance if your darts aren't springer fit in petg though? I know for one my darts are definitely not that tight.
20:45 Talio I'll have the talk with you
20:45 Talio penis in vagina
20:45 Talio fin

#23 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:35 AM

Wow. Chill out guys. A thread is not the place to be airing all your feuding. Let's get back to the mod disscussion please. I actually like that this mod is cheap and fairly simple. Would you lose performance if your darts aren't springer fit in petg though? I know for one my darts are definitely not that tight.

The performance is certainly better with a good dart fit----of course. I have some (not Much) biege that fits just right, thats what was fired in the video.

To everyone that asked questions----thanks! I posted this here to show as many as possible a cheap and easy way to make their Recon actually worth its weight. I have more to do, and hopefully when its done the Recon will stand a chance as a lower powered outdoor primary.

#24 Nate45

Nate45

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:55 AM

Could you use this type of breech in any kind of IP blaster like the Deploy or Raider?

P.S Where did you get your beige foam that fits medium PETG well?

#25 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:00 AM

Nate-- yes, I believe SemperFi just finished a Deploy breeched like this. I didn't invent this type of setup, though I am not sure if it's been used in an IP blaster before. I wanted to bring attention to it because I feel it's very effective, and VERY under-utilized.

I think I got the small amout of the beige I have from one of the Georgia guys......can't remember who.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users