New Nerf Series!

Announcing the Vortex Series on 9.10.11

40 replies to this topic

#1 Benbo231

Benbo231

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:34 PM

Gentlemen and ladies, Nerfers of all ages... Now presenting the VORTEX SERIES OF NERF GUNS! Thanks to some Facebook sleuthing, I've found that on September 10, 2011, Nerf will release their new disc guns.

Posted Image

They seem to be battery powered and stuff. My guess is semi-auto fire, fueled by scores of 'D' cells.
Not to mention that the maverick, barricade, raider, and one other gun are getting a black and orange paint job retexture, being released in August sometime.

Now, the question you've all been waiting for... Why was Facebook told before us?

#2 Bbdude

Bbdude

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:44 PM

Actually the full instruction manuals for the Nitron and Proton have been posted on Hasbro.com

Of the two posted so far, the Nitron seems to be simi-auto with fly wheels for power. It takes 6 C batteries. The Nitron also has a sight that takes batteries but I havent seen what exactly it does. As for the Proton it seems to be primed by pulling back a slide in teh back which also is where you load a disk.

Cant wait to see more about these blasters personally.

#3 dajstafarian

dajstafarian

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

I have a question regarding this matter: will the arrival of this new blaster line mean that the N-Strike line will no longer be produced?

#4 MrPzowned

MrPzowned

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

They look super cool and all but, disks, really? Why Hasbro why? THey look fun for indoor nerfing but it looks like its not going to be as good for outdoor wars and such. I'm aslo assuming that they will be a tad more expensive than the current n-strike series due to electronic components, and basically it ust looks expensive. I'm guessing 50 dollars worth of nerf right there. I'll probably buy one for the heck of it but I'd personally choose a Stampde or a Longshot over this blaster. I must say that the design of the housing unit is very smexy and I like the sound of that electronic scope.
17:54 Noodle Yes what he did was stupid
17:54 Noodle but it's a plastic toy
17:54 Gears BUT IT COULD'VE BEEN MY PLASTIC TOY

#5 dfp

dfp

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:02 PM

Thers more info at sg nerfs blog.

#6 dfp

dfp

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:02 PM

Thers more info at sg nerfs blog.

#7 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:22 AM

That Nitron looks like one of thesethings with a bunch of extra plastic heaped on. The round gray part of the blaster in front of the magazine gives this away.

I used to have some foam disk shooters and I remember that the disks would never fly straight. Who knows if we'll be able to weigh them to fly straight.
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#8 Mepain

Mepain

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:04 AM

The discs that these new blasters use appear to be miniaturized Frisbee discs. This would probably explain the satisfying range seen here.

As far as I can tell, the only other relevant information released here is a picture of all the other blasters.

EDIT: Oh, and another video.

Edited by Mepain, 27 May 2011 - 07:10 AM.

#9 tylertheuncreator

tylertheuncreator

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:55 PM

From the video of the praxis it looks like these disks are slow flying too. The reason they shoot so far is because they're basically gliding. They're basically miniature frisbees like mepain said. They're mini-airfoils.
O o
/¯/___________________________ _\
| IMMA FIREN MAH LAZAH, BLARRRRRRGGGHH!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯/

#10 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:31 AM

I have a question regarding this matter: will the arrival of this new blaster line mean that the N-Strike line will no longer be produced?

In one of the videos they show a brief picture of n-strike recolors that will be released at the same time with a blaze orange paint job.

They look super cool and all but, disks, really? Why Hasbro why? THey look fun for indoor nerfing but it looks like its not going to be as good for outdoor wars and such. I'm aslo assuming that they will be a tad more expensive than the current n-strike series due to electronic components, and basically it ust looks expensive. I'm guessing 50 dollars worth of nerf right there. I'll probably buy one for the heck of it but I'd personally choose a Stampde or a Longshot over this blaster. I must say that the design of the housing unit is very smexy and I like the sound of that electronic scope.

The electronic one probably will be about $50. Stampedes are still $50 unless you find them on sale, so I'm not sure what your point is.

The rest are all manually powered, and I would be surprised if they aren't close to their respective n-strike counterparts in price.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#11 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:09 PM

Hey that looks kinda dumb. a disk shooter? sheesh. They really are Nerfing Nerf aren't they.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#12 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:00 PM

Tell you what, BSS - if that's what it takes to get you to show up at a war again, I'll be the target guy using these lame-o-blasters downrange. Like I said, the welts will be worth it to see you at another war. :)
Fugly is a feature.

#13 iDrag0m1r

iDrag0m1r

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:41 PM

Most will probably buy these for teh lulz, if not for 1337 range. Personaly I value safety more than face raping range.
I AM JUNIOR!

#14 tylertheuncreator

tylertheuncreator

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

Most will probably buy these for teh lulz, if not for 1337 range. Personaly I value safety more than face raping range.

I know I'm getting the one for the scope and possibly the disk-shooting, re-shelled recon just for ambushing siblings from my turret in the attic.
O o
/¯/___________________________ _\
| IMMA FIREN MAH LAZAH, BLARRRRRRGGGHH!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯/

#15 Shralla

Shralla

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:10 PM

There sure is a lot of butthurt in this thread. Nerf has spent the last thirty years or something making dart blasters awesome, it's about time somebody made disc blasters awesome too, and clearly Nerf has succeeded in that department. I don't understand why the resistance to something different after decades of new dart blasters every year. I'm wicked pumped for the new line. The Praxis and the Proton look awesome.

#16 Disturbed

Disturbed

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

The shell and concept looks really nice, but like other people have said, I dont think the discs are going to be that fun outdoors.
If you nerf in Washington, I am a host of SANO, Seattle Area Nerf Out. PM me, would love to add you to the Washington nerf crew.

#17 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:17 AM

Can you make darts bank left/right? DIDN'T THINK SO!
Seriously, if stock ranges really are significantly, maybe even dramatically better than for dart guns, why wouldn't you be at all excited? If nothing else it gives modders a chance to explore some fresh new mechanisms rather than doing the same blaster mods over and over again. Plus it gives you something else to look out for at nerf wars, especially if people get good at banking shots with these things.

Edit: SG Nerf reports 55-65ft. ranges on the stock Praxis with a shotgun-pump prime. I thought they would use flywheels, but nope, spring powered. That's literally 3 times the stock range of recently released Nerf dart blasters.
http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Edit2: Same ranges for all the blasters. These things look like they'll either be really easy to mod or really difficult. Seems like all you can do is replace the spring with a stronger one and then attempt to reinforce the parts. There's no plunger tubes or barrels to speak of. They probably all have the exact same spring and basic firing mechanism. The only real differences between the blasters appear to be the location of the priming mechanism, the way they're reloaded and the ammo capacity.

The Proton is essentially rear-loaded, and is a single shot blaster.
The Vigilon has a built-in side-loaded clip (so you don't need three hands to reload the thing), and holds five shots.
The Praxis is clip fed much like the CS blasters we know and love, and has that pump action prime we all know and dream about, with a generous 10 shot capacity (or 20 with the big clip, which is of course ONLY available with the Nitron).

Benefits: none of the blasters seem to have any trouble with loading, and the issues of air seals, dead space, etc. are completely non-existent, removing any reason to "single" them. It's like they've circumvented all of the biggest issues involved with nerf blasters.

Bah. I was hoping the Nitron might use actual flywheels somehow so it could actually have a rate of fire worthy of "full auto," but apparently not.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Xhw_cIoe-1s
I guess the good news is that supercharging the battery could create an automatic spring blaster with both impressive range and ROF, but that sort of thing still isn't practical.

Edit again: This guy's already started modding them.
http://www.youtube.c...hhZGdpXCTc&NR=1
Claiming 20 extra feet with the stock spring.
And more: http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu

The discs bounce off walls. ;D

Edited by moosa, 27 August 2011 - 08:22 AM.

Yes.

#18 Keo

Keo

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:58 PM

@moosa, LordDrac is quite amazing but somebody beat him to the first Vortex mod ever, known as SpectreX on the OMWF and the official HvZ forums, did a voltage mod on the biggest gun.

#19 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:06 PM

@moosa, LordDrac is quite amazing but somebody beat him to the first Vortex mod ever, known as SpectreX on the OMWF and the official HvZ forums, did a voltage mod on the biggest gun.

Cool. Link? I'd like to see it.
Yes.

#20 Keo

Keo

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

Cool. Link? I'd like to see it.

Here you go, found it

#21 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:32 PM

Thanks, I found this one too:

Just demonstrating the higher velocities. I don't understand why these guys seem so bent on taking single shots with these. They're supposed to be full auto blasters- we want to see the rate of fire!

So I guess these things really do use flywheels? Seems like it has some kind of motorized delivery into the flywheels. I was hoping it would be some kind of rapid, continuous delivery so that these things could really pile out at a high ROF, but I guess the wheels wouldn't have enough torque to keep the ranges up that way without revving up between shots.
Yes.

#22 Darksircam

Darksircam

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:42 AM

Awesome stuff. This might actually let the people in my area be able to compete with modded blasters... or at least come somewhere close. The discs go about as fast as darts from a stock Recon compared side-by side, but they have a lot less drop. So they're easier to dodge than stefans with comparable range. Oh well.

I'm trying to make molds for the discs, currently using air-dry clay for the mold and silicone caulk for the disc itself. Terrible quality, but just to see if the silicone caulk model works friction-wise. Homemade ammo would be just as durable, but possibly sacrifice some performance. And be a good bit more expensive than stefans.

I first tried to make foam rings, but those actually started breaking within 1-2 shots. The launching mechanism flings it from the inside so that hole in the disc is pretty important.

Vortex discs are similar to bottlecaps. It does not fire that well - only similar ranges to a Nerf dart.
Posted Image

Vigilon internals. The Vigilon can actually hold six shots in the clip safely, and if you preload one you have seven shots. Yay.
Posted Image

Really don't want to take it apart again and take more pictures... was trying to find the trigger/priming locks.
Trigger locks are unlocked by disc, priming locks are unlocked by lack of disc in barrel, disc in clip, and clip in... clip holder.

Edited by Darksircam, 29 August 2011 - 01:49 AM.

Travel Cost to TRU = $2. Eliminator pack = $15. Momentum testing = 2 lost darts. Outranging Recons with your mini pistol = priceless.

#23 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:37 AM

If you could figure out a way to make homemade XLR discs that would certainly be awesome, but aside from the inherent difficulty in crafting such a thing at home I would guess that discs that weren't nearly perfectly formed in just the right aerodynamic shape would perform far worse than the Nerf discs.

The discs go about as fast as darts from a stock Recon compared side-by side, but they have a lot less drop. So they're easier to dodge than stefans with comparable range. Oh well.

But keep in mind that those are stock Vortex blasters. The stock Vortex blasters shoot at the same velocity as stock dart blasters, they just happen to go much further. A modified Vortex blaster could shoot faster just as a modified dart gun does.

Edited by moosa, 29 August 2011 - 03:42 AM.

Yes.

#24 MavericK96

MavericK96

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:51 PM

These seem pretty cool (nice ranges), but the accuracy is the only problem I can see. Seems like the discs fly pretty randomly even with no wind, and WITH wind...they just go nuts.

Might pick one up just to mess around with, though. Seems like fun.

#25 Keo

Keo

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:28 PM

These seem pretty cool (nice ranges), but the accuracy is the only problem I can see. Seems like the discs fly pretty randomly even with no wind, and WITH wind...they just go nuts.

Might pick one up just to mess around with, though. Seems like fun.

From what I have seen, in a stock of the biggest one with the 20 clip, I forget the name, at 55 feet away in 10mph wind they had a pretty tight knit grouping of the shots and the shortest and farthest shots were not very far at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users