Very Adaptable

8 replies to this topic

#1 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:38 PM

Hello Nerfhaven,

I have been thinking a fair amount about this project over the last few weeks, and I think its finally ready to present. There are always improvements to be made, and I pan on making them, but here it is at v.1.
Basically it is an apparatus that detects infrared radiation from anything that emits. Humans emit infrared radiation. The sensor acts as a switch in the main circuit, and the switch closes when infrared motion is detected. The whole situation is rigged up to a small-ish DC operated electromagnetic solenoid. When the switch is closed (infrared motion is detected), the solenoid pulls back fairly hard. Between the sensor and solenoid lie a transformer and diode, I'll talk about those after a few pictures.

This is essentially the whole configuration, at a side panel view, and without a blaster mounted on it yet.

Posted Image
again
Posted Image

Here are some close-ups of the solenoid. It has a nail through the end of the moving rod, which actually pulls the trigger. Now, if you know anything about electro-mechanical engineering, you know what a solenoid is. But for those who do not, a brief of description of this solenoid: A device that transfers an electrostatic signal from electronic to mechanical.

Posted Image

Here is the transformer. Essentially, this transformer adds resistance to the current, changing it from 120v AC coming from my wall socket to 16v AC, which is what is needed to operate the solenoid. Well, the solenoid takes DC, but we'll get to that later.
Posted Image

Quick picture of the actual sensor:
Posted Image

I metioned how the solenoid only takes DC. So, here is a diode. For those who are clueless, a diode is put in a circuit to change AC to DC. It blocks electron moevement in one direction, allowing only a direct current.
Posted Image

The last thing on it is a grounding wire to ground excess current, but you do not need a picture of that. This whole thing is mounted on a short piece of wood that screws onto a camera tripod quite nicely. The tripod allows it to be carried easily, and placed almost anywhere. Here is a final pic of it all, but with a paintball gun. IT WORKS WITH NERF GUNS, which is why I am posting it here... Simply put a nerf gun in the 90 degree angle brackets instead of a paintball gun, and, viola....A nerf gun that fires when it sees someone. you can literally put any nerf gun with a trigger in there, and it would work.
Posted Image

Final Sumation- Put a vulcan in here, put a nitefinder in here, put a crossbow in here, I dont give a damn. It will shoot ya when you walk near it. The sensor detects infrared in a 180 degree angle of vision, so stay back. Ill do a writeup if I get enough people asking for one. A video for sure.

EDIT- I metioned improvements. I am already writing the code for a few servos that will actually follow the infrared source , not just shoot in place.

Edited by HOTH, 12 May 2011 - 09:39 PM.

My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

#2 louiec3

louiec3

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:18 PM

No one

#3 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:19 PM

gives
My YouTube

#4 louiec3

louiec3

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:24 PM

a

#5 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:37 PM

shit.
My YouTube

#6 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:59 AM

Which is why you'll take the fagging around to PM. Talk about the actual subject matter of this topic or don't waste our time.

#7 shardbearer

shardbearer

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:35 AM

I like the first post....and none of the others.

Anyway, this seems like a nice design, would work really well with full auto guns. But most nerfers cant solder and think electronics are scary, so I cant see this getting much use.

#8 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:48 PM

How far away will the sensor work?
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#9 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:02 AM