Modding My Xbow

PETG or PVC????

15 replies to this topic

#1 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 10:18 PM

OK, ive got my Xbowall ready to be modded. I removed the old copper barell and unmodded the former version. I have 0 knowlege about X-bows as this is the 1 and only one ive ever seen in person.

Anyway i just wanted to ask what would be better. Ive used PETG once on my lightning blitz and i was very impressed. Then there is PVC which is more sturdy and more reliable.

Im gonna re-inforce the cocking handle and do some otehr minor modifications, im still stumped over which barell material i need.

Thanks..

#2 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 12:06 AM

if you want it to shot mega stefans or stock micros, go with pvc. i shoot cutt in half stock micros out of my pvc barreled x-bow and get 100+ feet with 100% accuracey ( or atleast i dont miss ). ive never actually used petg, but from what ive read its a very solid choice of barrel material to use for shooting micro stefans. you could also put the petg inside the pvc for support. i guess it really comes down to what your prefrence is.

#3 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:56 AM

Eh, that sounds sketchy...I wouldn't venture to say "it comes down to what your preference is" because the results on brassed weaponry, especially Xbow's, seems to be more than enough to substantiate a better performance for firing Stefans.

Like you said, this is your first Xbow you've laid your eyes on. Don't go mutilating it, stick with what works.

I've used PETG inside PVC at the last Armageddon. IS, let me put it this way: PETG inside PVC < Nested Brass. I was out-ranged with every shot, to put it simply. When I got back to VA after Armageddon, first thing I did was order some brass.

I'd stick with what works, personally. My first brassed weapon I ever owned was my Xbow, and let me tell you - it's t3h shit. I'd do Ray's mod on yours, and then do whatever you want from there.

Edited by GrOOvE, 03 May 2004 - 05:59 AM.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#4 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 10:42 AM

Mmmmm... brass.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#5 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 03:01 PM

If you are worried about the strength of the PETG, Nest it in some pvc and use a coupler to attach it to the plunger tube. Assuming it will fit. I haven't worked with PETG so I'm not familar with it's O.D.

Edit: fixed spelling.

Edited by J_cobbers, 03 May 2004 - 03:04 PM.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#6 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I think im gonna put the petg inside of the PVC so i can get the best of both worlds. As i said im gonna reinforce the handle and apply some bungee cords.

EDIT: I would go with brass but its unavaliable to me around here. So PETG is the next best thing.

Edited by ItalionStallion, 03 May 2004 - 05:16 PM.

#7 Wax

Wax

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 04:54 PM

Uhh, that won't get you the best of both worlds. Your range will suffer. The only thing better about PETG in some PVC would be, wait. Nope. Can't really think of anything. PETG by itself should be plenty strong, unless you go around banging your guns against trees and what-not. Stick with nested brass. You may even be able to fit a nested brass barrel inside of the PVC, but I forget with what sizes of brass that works with. Your range will be much better with nested brass.
Wax in the Nerf universe, wax4213 everywhere else.

#8 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:01 PM

Stick with nested brass. You may even be able to fit a nested brass barrel inside of the PVC

Posted Image

Mmmmm... brass.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#9 WEASEL

WEASEL

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:38 PM

Mmmmm... brass

I've never really liked brass for it's taste but it is good for barrels. If you were wondering, 19/32 fits inside my pvc....but that's my pvc.

Edited by WEASEL, 03 May 2004 - 05:40 PM.

#10 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:19 PM

he said he was going to use petg in PVC because brass/copper is not an option for him.

Edited by NinjZ, 03 May 2004 - 06:19 PM.

#11 Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 12:37 PM

I've never really liked brass for it's taste

I agree. Copper is much better.

And ItalionStallion? Good luck with the X-Bow.
Do not mess with CXWQ, for he has Admin powers and will bann your flaming little a**.

Techno-Dann of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team

#12 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:18 PM

It all depends what fits your darts, and to get rid of that awful rumor about copper, its amazing if it fits your darts, and I can vouch for that. My hardware store has started packign this really fat kind of fbr that doesnt fit well inside 9/16 brass, and I had some copper lying around, I tried it out, and it was a perfect seal, I could blow it down easily, and it worked. Well.

Whatever fits your darts man, go with what works.

THIRST
ko

#13 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for all the help dudes. I have decided to put PETG inside of PVC.

Ill post back later once its finished.

#14 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 08:58 PM

Sorry for the DP but ive got one last question.

How long should the barell be?

#15 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 10:31 PM

10-12 inches depending on your taste. I think, though, just go to a local Ace Hardware and get some 9/16 and 17/32 brass and do a full nestled brass/PVCcoupler mod. Obviously the people here support brass over PETG, but I think you wont suffer too much using PETG. However :lol: , if you want the best out of your xbow, you've just seen the input from this site (scroll around a bit).
-AirApache
Indiana '11

#16 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 10:47 PM

Eh, PETG length may be different; from what I've heard, it's tighter fitting that 9/16 brass. If that is the case, I'd suggest a lower number, maybe around 7 or 8. But I'm not sure about how tight fitting PETG really is. However, I'd suggest Rawray's mod in the mod section about questions.

~ompa

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users