Photo

Swarmfire Ar Removal

12 replies to this topic

#1 Solscud007

Solscud007

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:06 PM

So I cracked open the swarmfire. Very easy. Just remove the yellow accent shells and then open the gray body.

The motor/piston system is encased in a off-white casing that is held with snaps and a couple screws. Dont forget to remove the turret. It is only held in with one screw.

Pop out the plunger tube. Careful cause there is a small spring. The turret has posts just like a Vulcan chain. just cut them out from the back.

Posted Image

Here is the plunger tube. I covered up that small hole with electrical tape.
Posted Image

The AR is an orange piece of plastic. In the plunger tube, there is also a white cross with a circle. It is what the spring pushes against to push the orange AR forward. I cut that out too. The end of the plunger tube is glued in. I used a knife to carefully separate the tube body from the end cap and break the glue seal. i only inserted the tip of the knife maybe 1-2mm in. Go all the way around the cicumference of tube cap. It should be ebough and use pliers to pull the cap off. Let the AR and spring fall out.

I put everything back together. I didnt even bother gluing the plunger tube cap on, it just nests into the tube.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here is what the plunger and spring look like.
Posted Image

I have easily doubled the range. I estimate about 40-50 feet.

Edit: Update with more pics and video.

Here is a video of the swarmfire compared to my element and pistol splat. No where close haha. The Swarmfire has a NF spring inside it.

spring dimensions
Length at rest: 74.35mm
Length at full compression: 11.4mm
Diammeter: 22mm

Picture comparing NF spring (the longer one) to the Swarmfire spring (shorter one)
Posted Image

Here are some more detailed pictures of the entire Swarmfire.

exterior
Posted Image

Yellow accent half shell removed
Posted Image

Gray shell removed.
Posted Image

Gearbox opened. the white disc can be simply pulled off to get access to plunger rod and spring.
Posted Image

The plunger tube head has a foam seal that is pushed up against the turret. This little slot is where the spring goes.
Posted Image

When putting the plunger tube back in do not put the spring in that slot. Put the tube back in first. Then from the outside insert the spring into this hole. It makes it much easier.
Posted Image

Here is a little exploratory images that may give you an idea for possible mods. The turret is two parts. the "barrels" and the cogged ring that rotates the barrels. They are not glued together!!! Not even held together with screws. The barrels are screwed into a post in the gear box. That is what holds the cogged ring up against the gearbox. I used a stepped drill bit to clean the cogged ring's holes. However there is no longer any ledge to act as a dart stop. So putting in stock nerf darts has the possibility of going in too deep and possibly hitting the gear box as it rotates.
Posted Image

In this picture you can see the white post poking out past the cogged ring. I am able to nest 9/16 inch petg into the cogged ring. However it is a loose fit. I suspect a 1mm clearance around the PETG. However it shows that this gun is ready for some simple upgrades.
Posted Image

Oh but only if you could rear load this fully automatic turreted nest of bees? Oh but you can. It is as if Nerf knows what we will do with this. With a minor snip here and there you could open up the shell even more for better access and ergonomics to rear load the turret. And from BOTH sides if you wanted to.

Posted Image

Edited by Solscud007, 20 March 2011 - 08:17 AM.

#2 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:40 AM

Those innards look very interesting, I hope you took some more pictures to put up soon.

The wheel rotates and pulls the plunger back, and then once it's far enough it shoots forward along that channel right? A little like a steam engine train wheel?

Edit: Oh, I guess it's just a gear. What does the wheel do actually?

Edited by VelveetaAvenger, 20 March 2011 - 08:40 AM.

"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#3 Solscud007

Solscud007

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:22 AM

updated with more pictures and a video. Also insight into rear loading and re-barreling the swarmfire.

#4 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:56 AM

Looks interesting. Quite a disappointing plunger though. How does the rotation mech work? Pics please.
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#5 Solscud007

Solscud007

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:47 AM

Looks interesting. Quite a disappointing plunger though. How does the rotation mech work? Pics please.

There is an arm that is linked to the white lobe disc. It has an orange angled tip. It moves back and forth with the plunger. It moves forward and pushes against the angled fins of the cogged ring.

Oh yeah I tried some scrap PETG that i got from split, a while back, and it is a PERFECT snug nesting fit into the cogged wheel holes.

Edited by Solscud007, 20 March 2011 - 11:48 AM.

#6 KitAdrian

KitAdrian

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:13 PM

If I was at all interested in this blaster, I'd leave the accent shells off and put some sort of transparent liner in the windows of the gray shell, and paint the visible internals (gearbox cover, battery pack, etc).

#7 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:43 PM

Approximately how much larger are the "rings" on the PT, compared to the OD of the plunger tube itself? Do you think there's any way of replacing the stock PT with a larger one?

Youtube

LS and Retaliator boltsleds are currently available at https://www.facebook.com/RoboM8/

#8 Solscud007

Solscud007

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:47 PM

possible but I dont think it will make that much of a difference. You are talking about a few mm of difference in diameter.

#9 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:14 PM

Oh, that's a shame. How does the plunger head/tube diameter compare to, say, a NF?

Youtube

LS and Retaliator boltsleds are currently available at https://www.facebook.com/RoboM8/

#10 Nerf Gra

Nerf Gra

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:32 PM

This may convince me to buy one of these. Thanks for the report on the new blaster, can't wait for an update.
QUOTE(VelveetaAvenger @ Dec 6 2010, 12:14 AM) View Post

Maybe there's no Mcmaster, but you could make the first coconut airtank.

#11 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:02 PM

How much did the stock gun cost?

I like the detatcheable stock, although with a gun that size, I'd keep it on.

#12 shardbearer

shardbearer

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:02 PM

Whoa. PETG barrels and you can use the existing ones as a barrel spacer. Thats pretty cool. Have you considered removing the orange AR at the front of the PT?

#13 Solscud007

Solscud007

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:52 AM

Whoa. PETG barrels and you can use the existing ones as a barrel spacer. Thats pretty cool. Have you considered removing the orange AR at the front of the PT?

Yes I removed the orange AR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users