Photo

Longstrike Marker Barrel Replacement

Longstrike Mod

23 replies to this topic

Poll: My mod

Did you find this writeup useful?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SK8R

SK8R

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:33 PM

Ok, this is my first write-up so don't start being haters. I know all of you probably have done this before, but I decided post it for the heck of it.

Materials: -Crayola/Rose art marker
-A saw or exact-o knife
-E-tape
-Hot glue
-A reverse plunger tube

Step 1: Get you marker out and mark down the spot you want to cut.
Posted Image

Step 2: Cut the front part of the plunger tube off and also remove it from the bolt sled. (There should be an indent were the AR was.)
Posted Image

Step 3: Cut you marker down to the size that you need.
Posted Image

Step 4: Hot glue or e-tape (or both) the marker to the plunger tube.
Posted Image

Step 5: Attach it to the bolt sled.
Posted Image

Step 6: Put it back together and you're done.
Posted Image

And yes I know it's messy, I did this at one in the morning so give me a break.

Ranges: Ok, i got the ranges. Surprisingly, the farthest I got was 90ft. The average was around 76ft

Edited by SK8R, 12 March 2011 - 01:17 PM.

KIRBY DANCE! <(0_0<) <( 0_0 )> (>0_0)> <( 0_0 )> <(0_0<) <( 0_0 )> (>0_0)> <( 0_0 )> <(0_0<) <( ^_^ )>

#2 jaybo1996

jaybo1996

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

Actually, to my knowledge, no one has done this before, congrats, I don't really believe it will get 70-80, but getting around 60 from a longstrike is impressive. If we could find a way to get the marker on more securley then this would be a very good mod. good job, and keep up the good work.
01:15 N9> The problem with nerfers: We're around plastic. Plastic contains estrogenic compounds, so we're more feminine than the rest of the world.

WTF, are you in Tony Stark's basement!?'

#3 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

So basically you made a quickie version of http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=19258

#4 the mod man

the mod man

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:10 PM

Nice mod. Do you have a problem with darts shredding, or is it fine?
Draconis:"Youtube is a cesspool of coagulated troll urine, created by the inane electronic babble of people with no better use of time than to comment on videos silly people post."

#5 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:20 PM

This is a neat, cheap mod. I might have to try this out on the stock longstrike I have laying around.

#6 Y-Brik

Y-Brik

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:26 AM

Unique mod, I suggest solvent welding the narrower 'tip' portion of the marker into the breech if you try again.
Writeup...needs a bit of love, you completely skipped the 'mounting the breech to the boltsled' question.
Friendly advice-Don't make excuses in writeups, your work will either speak for itself or you'll deserve it. Oh, and nobody uses polls.
So good, but with room for improvement.

As I said I have not not alot of testes yet but I will be once I finish the mod.

Why I am boycotting Hasbro

#7 lionhawk

lionhawk

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

This is a pretty nice mod. However, streamlines, yeahh, sometimes it might hit 55 and sometimes it might hit 80.(little bit exaggerated.)

#8 SK8R

SK8R

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:14 PM

Nice mod. Do you have a problem with darts shredding, or is it fine?

Ya it's pretty good once you shave down a bit.
KIRBY DANCE! <(0_0<) <( 0_0 )> (>0_0)> <( 0_0 )> <(0_0<) <( 0_0 )> (>0_0)> <( 0_0 )> <(0_0<) <( ^_^ )>

#9 SK8R

SK8R

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:18 PM

*Ranges have been posted*

#10 Y-Brik

Y-Brik

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:11 PM

Bullshit. Don't post angled ranges, they mean nothing. There's no way a stock-springed ReClone, rebarreled or not, would hit that range flat.

As I said I have not not alot of testes yet but I will be once I finish the mod.

Why I am boycotting Hasbro

#11 utahnerf

utahnerf

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:33 PM

You may want to use a stronger adhesive, for longevity. Such as epoxy, super glue, etc. Otherwise, amazing (and almost unreal) ranges! Also, are you Slushi?

Edited by utahnerf, 12 March 2011 - 04:35 PM.

#12 lionhawk

lionhawk

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

Post a video on photobucket or something showing those ranges, I'm not confident you're not angling.

#13 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

How much recutting/remaking of the marker piece did you have to do? How is the stock dart fit?
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#14 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:55 PM

I'm pretty sure if you ripped out the fucking internals of this thing but left the breech, put in a BBBB tank, and angled your shots with wind carrying the dart plus dart skip this thing wouldn't break 60 feet.

Crayolas really don't have the correct dart fit for any gun. All you did is e-tape and hot glue this thing on and i can almost guarentee it's not airtight.

I guess it's a decent concept but learn how to measure ranges first.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#15 SK8R

SK8R

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:41 PM

I couldn't believe the range either and just keep in mind that it was only one dart out of like 12. It could have caught on the breeze or I just had a good streamline, but all I know that one shot got 90ft so just chill out ok. It was probably a fluke. If it makes you feel better just forget about the 90ft, I don't give a damn. 75-80ft is good enough for me, but if you want to go and cry about the 90ft, be my guest. :)

#16 SK8R

SK8R

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:46 PM

How much recutting/remaking of the marker piece did you have to do? How is the stock dart fit?

Not that much really, today i did some cleaning up and reinforcement, the darts fit tighter in the marker than it did in the stock tube. I've found that rose art markers are more airtight than crayola with a good seal.

#17 lionhawk

lionhawk

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:46 PM

I couldn't believe the range either and just keep in mind that it was only one dart out of like 12. It could have caught on the breeze or I just had a good streamline, but all I know that one shot got 90ft so just chill out ok. It was probably a fluke. If it makes you feel better just forget about the 90ft, I don't give a damn. 75-80ft is good enough for me, but if you want to go and cry about the 90ft, be my guest. :)

We're not "complaining" about 90 ft. We are saying its really unrealistic if a brass barrel gets 50 ft.

#18 sublimedom777

sublimedom777

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:29 PM

What is this, 2003?

Seriosuly though, I guess this is pretty nice for its sheer simplicity as stated above.

And shut up about "untrustworthy" ranges people, ranges are for losers who like to wag their dicks at each other. All you need to know about a blaster is if it shoots. Beyond that it comes down to the user to make it hit someone.

Edited by sublimedom777, 13 March 2011 - 08:33 PM.

Last of the Sex Dwarves, Head of Waifu Relations, Fetishizer of Blasters, The Far Warring, Mini-Van Driver, Possessor of Mattels, and Warden of the Manongahela

We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#19 bennorco

bennorco

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:39 PM

ranges are for losers who like to wag their dicks at each other. All you need to know about a blaster is if it shoots.

I disagree. Someone could post a retarded mod that seemed decent, but in reality made the blaster shoot half the stock range. I find it very helpful if people post accurate ranges on their posts so I don't go wasting my time doing a failure of a mod.

Edited by bennorco, 13 March 2011 - 08:41 PM.

Buy this stuff^

#20 SK8R

SK8R

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:19 PM

We're not "complaining" about 90 ft. We are saying its really unrealistic if a brass barrel gets 50 ft.

Well ya most of you weren't. I'm mainly talking about Y-Brick calling bs on it. Ok, I admit I did snap in that post and I'm sorry people who weren't bitching about it and who thought I was talking about them. But still for all you people who don't believe it, I didn't say you had to do this mod or believe in it. Like I said, I just posted it for the heck of it and I'm in Ohio on vacation right now so if you have any questions I may or may not get to it. I'll probably be in the arcade most of the time to try and win me a raider. :)

(You can maybe get some answers from bennorco, we hang out alot and he's seen the mod.)

Edited by SK8R, 13 March 2011 - 09:24 PM.

#21 bennorco

bennorco

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:34 PM

(You can maybe get some answers from bennorco, we hang out alot and he's seen the mod.)

Sure, and I've also done a mode very similar to this.

Edited by bennorco, 13 March 2011 - 09:34 PM.

Buy this stuff^

#22 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:15 AM

If there's enough pictures there's honestly no need to get all whiny about ranges. You spend enough time with these toys and you'll be able to guess ranges accurately enough for the purposes of nerf. This has enough pictures.

If a 20% error margin in the posted ranges is enough to dissuade you from the mod than you probably shouldn't be nerfing anyways.

Edited by TantumBull, 14 March 2011 - 12:15 AM.

#23 bennorco

bennorco

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:02 AM

If a 20% error margin in the posted ranges is enough to dissuade you from the mod than you probably shouldn't be nerfing anyways.

I prefer accurate ranges while looking at a mod (not getting into the whole attacking SK8R about his 90 ft. range) and I don't think that means I shouldn't be nerfing.
Buy this stuff^

#24 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:10 PM

Nerfing is very much in the 'horseshoes and hand grenades' range when it comes to replicability. Streamlines for range testing are especially egregious - a streamline will inherently add at least 10% variability to ranges. Also, beware an interesting variant of the 'Texas marksman' fallacy here: just because the Streamline ended up 80' from where you're standing doesn't mean it ended up where you aimed it.

That said, to address the OP, this is a great way to introduce beginners to modding an LK - the parts are readily available, the steps are simple, and the results are rewarding. Pay no attention to the "I did it first" post - that's endemic to this user base. Mod for yourself, enjoy the results, and, most importantly, have fun. Especially in the face of those who try to tear you down.
Fugly is a feature.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users