Photo

Hornet Tank Powered Longstrike

hornets and longstrikes and too much free time oh my!

22 replies to this topic

#1 nix0101

nix0101

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:34 AM

So I got a hornet cheap at a yard sale and a longstrike for free and I needed a new project, thus I humbly present my newest bastard of creativity.

Posted Image
The plunger tube gets cut here and apply your glue of choice to attach the hornet tank. In case you're wondering, the writing behind it is an awesome recipe for kangaroo.
Posted Image
What you don't see here is the tubing for the pump is routed inside the stock. Some of the ribbing inside has to be removed to make room and apparently the stock is glued together as well as screwed so just grip it and rip it.
Posted Image
The majority of the ribbing here is removed to make room for everything. All the stuff behind the trigger including the screw boss has to be gutted for the blast button to fit. Also the ribs that guided the plunger tube catch the tank when you pull the bolt back due to the tank pivoting slightly, so rip those suckers out too.
Posted Image
Here she is all put together for about the 47th time during the course of this build. As you can see it still uses clips and the barrel extension came out of the original barrel add on piece but since it's wider than the barrel it doesn't interfere with the darts while still looking nifty (I think so anyway).

It's all pretty self explanatory, most of the longstrike internals are tossed as is a lot of the ribbing where the original plunger tube used to slide. The pump is from the hornet and it's fully pumped in about 3 pumps, as such the ROF is pretty nice. Unfortunately accurate ranges aren't in yet as there's a mystery leak. However, I imagine standard hornet ranges. Comments? questions? concerns about what kind of a man has a floral patterned quilt? One who lives with his girlfriend, that's who.

Edited by nix0101, 02 March 2011 - 05:09 PM.

Yeah. A length of rope, a good sturdy hook and a stool. Seriously, give your parents their lives back. -talio-

#2 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:47 AM

That looks more like a hornet pump... I'm definitely interested in ranges, when you get them.

#3 nix0101

nix0101

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:52 AM

On second thought, it is a hornet pump, my bad. Also I'll be hunting down that leak tomorrow and ranges will follow shortly thereafter.

Edited by nix0101, 02 March 2011 - 12:53 AM.

Yeah. A length of rope, a good sturdy hook and a stool. Seriously, give your parents their lives back. -talio-

#4 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:31 AM

So... it still uses clips right? If it does then that's pretty cool. Put the in the front part of the shell instead of the weird placement you have with the pump now and you should be able to keep all the tubing internal and make priming a bit quicker. I recommend you replace the barrel of the longstrike bolt with brass or something too for better ranges. Add some descriptions to the pictures and turn this into a writeup too.

#5 ChaosPropel

ChaosPropel

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:14 AM

So... it still uses clips right? If it does then that's pretty cool.

I believe what's happening here is that it still uses stock clips, but when the bolt sled is pulled back, it takes the barrel back, which is connected to the hornet tank. This means that the tank is moving, and eventually (when the bolt's back in foward position) blasting air into the barrel.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

#6 knexpert66

knexpert66

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:20 AM

Nice! I wish I hadn't already sold my hornet tanks, this is something worth taking the time doing.
Please, call me Busted.

#7 blitz

blitz

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:58 AM

This idea is pretty sweet.
Blitz, member of the FNBS
"sexual innuendo no intendo"

#8 utahnerf

utahnerf

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:00 AM

My favorite thing about this gun is the ability to still use clips. The first thing that caught my eye was the positioning of the pump. I can't imagine that's comfortable. Also, instead of barbed connectors you should use the quick disconnect kind. Here is what they look like, you can buy them at Lowes/Home Depot. They are sooooo much better than barbs, no glue involved, no hassle, easily reusable, no leaks, AMAZING. (Also, a bit more expensive, but reusable.)

Edited by utahnerf, 02 March 2011 - 08:08 AM.

#9 nix0101

nix0101

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:29 AM

Wow I'm glad you guys like it. To answer, yes it still uses clips, the pump position is pretty comfy and I tried a lot of other positions but this place ended up being the best though it takes up one of the clip storage spots. I tried to keep all the tubing internal but the motion of the bolt sled was getting messed up with everything sliding and whatnot. The barbed connectors are working well so far and they only cost like 2 bucks for a pack of 9. And finally Ill be updating this post later today with ranges.

#10 ugh112

ugh112

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:07 AM

I love this it looks so cool! Writeup in the future?
QUOTE(Floppyjack @ Dec 1 2010, 06:57 PM) View Post

Too small? Mine are always too big, only one is the perfect size. Sorry, no pics, I'm in bed with my iPod.

QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 15 2010, 12:59 PM) View Post

I'd like to bid $15 for your dick.

#11 nix0101

nix0101

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:01 AM

So there's still a slight leak, but ranges are in the 50-70 foot range flat.

#12 blitz

blitz

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:18 PM

I love this it looks so cool! Writeup in the future?

It really isn't that hard, a writeup would be nice, but not necessary.
Blitz, member of the FNBS
"sexual innuendo no intendo"

#13 Solscud007

Solscud007

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:01 AM

My favorite thing about this gun is the ability to still use clips. The first thing that caught my eye was the positioning of the pump. I can't imagine that's comfortable. Also, instead of barbed connectors you should use the quick disconnect kind. Here is what they look like, you can buy them at Lowes/Home Depot. They are sooooo much better than barbs, no glue involved, no hassle, easily reusable, no leaks, AMAZING. (Also, a bit more expensive, but reusable.)

How do those worK? you just insert the tube from the tank to one side and the tub from the pump into the other side?

#14 nix0101

nix0101

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:19 AM

@Sol: Yes, plus a blast button positioned behind the trigger. Also I added a pic of where I cut the plunger and added the tank and a few more descriptions of what I did so anyone with a basic knowledge of how a hornet works and how to cram stuff in other stuff should be able to figure this out.

#15 Solscud007

Solscud007

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

How is the hornet tank released? I see the trigger pulls back and hits that orange button thing but how does that release the air from the tank?

#16 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

How is the hornet tank released? I see the trigger pulls back and hits that orange button thing but how does that release the air from the tank?

Have you ever heard of a back pressure gun?

Edit: Didn't mean this as sarcasm if anyone thought that.

Edited by Blue, 07 March 2011 - 03:40 PM.

#17 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:46 PM

http://www.spudfiles...ally-t8157.html
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#18 Dyxlesic

Dyxlesic

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:37 AM

Pretty cool idea. I was going to do this with my raider or recon. I noticed that the "blast button" you are using isn't actouly a blast button, it's the wierd check valve from the bottom of the titan, where you connect the hornet. I never woulda thought of using it as a blast button. Very clever. However, I would assume air release from it is slower, which would mean the openening of the qev valve in the hornet would be slower, which would lead to a slower air release, thus, slightly lower ranges, but I may be wrong.
Anything you can do I can do backwards

#19 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:14 AM

Pretty cool idea. I was going to do this with my raider or recon. I noticed that the "blast button" you are using isn't actouly a blast button, it's the wierd check valve from the bottom of the titan, where you connect the hornet. I never woulda thought of using it as a blast button. Very clever. However, I would assume air release from it is slower, which would mean the openening of the qev valve in the hornet would be slower, which would lead to a slower air release, thus, slightly lower ranges, but I may be wrong.

Functionally, the valves are actually the exact same.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#20 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:19 AM

It is a blast button, the second trigger on the titan can operate the hornet when they are attached.

#21 nix0101

nix0101

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:20 AM

Hornets are a back pressure system...the button lets out a bit of pressure behind the tank and it fires. I don't know all the technical mumbo jumbo but it just works. There are a few write ups here that explain it better. Also, @ Dyxlesi: the button seems to let out air plenty fast, I'm not sure how to compare it to the blast buttons that are attached to the main hornet internal chunk since I'm not sure how to remove them.

Edited by nix0101, 08 March 2011 - 08:28 AM.

#22 Dyxlesic

Dyxlesic

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

It is a blast button, the second trigger on the titan can operate the hornet when they are attached.

The second trigger pushes a 3rd blast button attached to the hornet. What he used was the valve from the bottom of the Titan, that is only open when the hornet is attached. I have one, but never realized it could double as a blast button. However, due to the layout, it appears the air release from that valve would be slightly slower than a blast button, which would mean the hornet tanks valve would be pulled slower, which would lead to a slower air release. However, this would make only a tiny difference on range with such a small airtank.

Edited by Dyxlesic, 08 March 2011 - 02:25 PM.

Anything you can do I can do backwards

#23 nix0101

nix0101

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:29 PM

I have another of those valves attached to 3 hornet tanks with cpvc barrels and attached to a titan pump ( kind of a backup shotty) and it fires just fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users