Making A Super Soaker Shoot Darts?

???

15 replies to this topic

#1 CheeseNerfer

CheeseNerfer

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:27 PM

I'm sure this topic has been gone over before but I was wondering if there are any ways of making a fairly new super soaker shoot nerf darts(particularly micros) and if it is reasonable and worth it.

Thanks B)

P.S. Don't get pissed if this has been gone over before because I searched the forums for "Super Soakers" and got nothing useful.

Edited by CheeseNerfer, 27 April 2004 - 09:28 PM.

"Ahh The Power Of Cheese"

#2 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:42 PM

if you go to google and type super soaker mod, some sites should pop up. you can mod super soakers to shoot shoot darts. youll have to use brass/copper barrels for the micros.

this site has one http://www.yakman.i8...uper soaker.htm

#3 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:45 PM

It might be worth it, depending on your gun. One way I can imagine, would be to drill out the front nozzle (just the restrictor in the front), and then epoxy a short barrel (PVC) over the nozzle. The longer the barrel, the more you will have to do to stablize it. I know i have seen at least one thread (maybe website) about this.

I will get back to you on it.

~Vintage

Edit: Yes, Ninjz, that is the site I was thinking about. Thank you.

Edited by Vintage, 27 April 2004 - 09:46 PM.

You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#4 CheeseNerfer

CheeseNerfer

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:17 PM

I know it's kind of old but I've finally got around to posting about the affects. I used a Max D of some sort and at 30 pumps can easily get 100 ft out of the thing. At 40 pumps about 150 and at close range the thing will give a small welt and hurt for about a minute. I had two of the same gun and ended up taking the pump barrel out of one to use as the actual barrel on the other and it works great, it can fit megas and mini whistling darts will go all the way down the barrel. I definately recomend trying this if you are the loser type and don't have a crossbow. My only concern is that in wars you definately need a small side arm of some sort because it takes about 1 1/2 minutes to load and pump the thing (night finder works well). Pics coming very soon.

#5 Nazgul Lord

Nazgul Lord

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:52 PM

When you measured the range was it a straight shot or angled. I know that if you hold Max-D's straight the shot will still be angled because of the nozzle. If not good job. I would just leave my super soakers for water. :blush:

Edited by Nazgul_Lord, 01 June 2004 - 09:53 PM.

Nazgul Lord of the CFM

#6 CheeseNerfer

CheeseNerfer

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:05 AM

I completely removed the nozzle. The barrel fit right onto the end of the valve. I tested the range on a straight shot. Thanks. :blush:

#7 Vassili

Vassili

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 06:16 PM

If it takes 1-1/2 minutes to pump, you should definitely hack off your check valve and reduce the size of your airtank. With the check valve removed, you'll be able to achieve higher pressure in your airtank, so you should actually get increased range even with a much smaller airtank. On a super soaker, the check valve isn't on the end of the pump, it's next to the pump shaft, you should be able to figure out where it is.
Foam Fortress Co-Webmaster

#8 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Location:West Michigan, in a basement, chained to a wall, with nothing but a puter and a NiteFinder to keep me busy.

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:16 PM

That is why I just replaced the pump completely. I put a RF20 pump on instead of trying to repair the old pump. When the overpressure valve finally goes (after about 130 pumps) the trigger can't even be pulled. The spring on the end of the pull shaft for the valve compresses all the way, which at that time the trigger can't be pulled further.

I used a Max D of some sort and at 30 pumps can easily get 100 ft out of the thing. At 40 pumps about 150 and at close range the thing will give a small welt and hurt for about a minute.

Weird. My Super Soaker XP55 at 30 pumps goes 40 ft. and at 40 pumps gets 45 ft. At 80 pumps it finally achives over 100 ft., but at 40 ft. when pumped to that extreme it will quite literally fracture a rib (on a deer*). At close range for 50 pumps it will do the same. Close range for 80 and the dart blows up on impact with a solid object. Lead fragments have actually ricocheted off a concrete wall and hit me at 15 feet. I think my darts are too heavy, but if I go any lighter than they spin out when pumped over 15 times, and then the dart will only go about 30 ft. The darts that were used weighed a 1/2 ounce when completed.

*This was at my friend's neighbors house. He thought that, after hearing The Evil (I named my Super Soaker), that it could go through the skin a few hour old deer carcass. After the firing we heard a crack on impact, so the neighbor decided to cut it open to find out the damage. He was surprised when he saw that a rib was broken.
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#9 CheeseNerfer

CheeseNerfer

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:28 PM

Hum, maybe I should decrease my air tank size, but on the other hand I don't want to seriously injure someone; large welts and moaning for a little while are good enough for me. Thanks anyway and pics coming up soon seriously.

#10 seirus

seirus

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:31 PM

Mine sucks, but that's primarily because it has such a massive airtank that it's difficult to prime. I used this really tiny one with a broken pump (replaced by a pump from a new smxx 1500) and that mother is launching out darts.
Yeah, life sucks, but it does guarantee a trip around the sun every 365 days.

#11 Nazgul Lord

Nazgul Lord

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:46 PM

How would you make the airtank smaller? :o
Nazgul Lord of the CFM

#12 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:28 PM

Open the stupid gun up. Duh!!! Stupid noobish questions!!!I'm kidding ^_^ . Ok, do what I just said. Mine had two orbs to store pressure. I cloged one up with duct tape and hot glue. Now the problem in I can't seem to find the frick'in overpressure-realese valve :huh: My nite finder shoots farther. ;)
QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#13 CheeseNerfer

CheeseNerfer

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 07:52 PM

You could open it up, I don't know what yours looks like but mine has one tank and put a piece of pvc piping in so it fits the holes on both ends then make it airtight. You might want something more plyable though. Mine works great the way it is though.

Finally heres the pic if you want to see it.

Don't worry on my computer it took about 10 seconds to load.
Incase you couldn't tell that's the removable pump, mega whistling dart, mini whistling dart(fits all the way down the barrel), rubber cap(fits all the way down the barrel), and a marble(dented my wall! and went faster than I could see!)

Edited by CheeseNerfer, 03 June 2004 - 08:55 PM.

#14 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Location:West Michigan, in a basement, chained to a wall, with nothing but a puter and a NiteFinder to keep me busy.

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:59 PM

Well there is also one more way to make the air"tank" smaller. On one with a single tank (no orbs), one could replace the original tank with PVC, getting successively smaller until the desired size, which could then be used as a stock. That way requires no opening of the case. I think that CheeseNerfer covered that though.

Another way, which does invlolve opening the case, is just to bypass the tank itself, connecting two feet of tubing from the pump directly to the valve. The barrel would then have to be (guessing) about 20 inches or less. To figure this correctly, find the volume of the tubing used*and figure that same volume of PVC**. But then the Super Soaker would resemble an oversized SM(any model).

*To find the volume, use pi X r X l, where pi=pi(3.141592653589793223845etc.), r=radius, and l=length of the cylinder(tubing or barrel).

**In case you are wondering why I didn't say more was because you have to remember, the air output rate is the same as a SM. You wouldn't use two feet of barrel on your SM1500 just because you increased the size of the airtank by a foot, would you?

#15 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 07:57 AM

Actually, I believe the airtank should be smaller than the barrel. The tank gets pressurized with much more air than it normally holds under equal pressure. If the tank is the same size as the barrel, it will be holding much more air molecules than the barrel will need.

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#16 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 08:08 AM

Hmm. Never thought of that. We need someone to experiment on this. Any volunteers?

Actually, the output is different, I meant valve open speed. SMs use a pull valve, so do Super Soakers. That's where I got the ** reason on my last post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users