Photo

Adjustable Oprv Revised

7 replies to this topic

#1 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

I very much appreciated the work done by TantumBull on homemade OPRV's, but I always felt like his version wouldn't be very sturdy if adjusted a lot or used at high pressures. Here's my take.

I cut a 2 1/4" Long piece of 1/2" OD 3/8" ID PEX Tubing.

Posted Image

I drilled a small hole in the middle of the PEX

Posted Image

I cut a 1/2" Long Piece of 3/8-16 Threaded Rod.

Posted Image

I smoothed out the ends of the threaded rod with a file and bench grinder. I then dremeled a notch into it to make a set screw.

Posted Image

I tapped one end of the PEX with a 3/8-16 Tapping Bit.

Posted Image

I drilled into the PEX about 1.5" with a 3/8" Flat Wood Boring Bit on the opposite end.

Posted Image

I tapped the drilled end with a 1/8-27 NPT Tapping Bit.

Posted Image

I cut two pieces of vinyl tubing. One piece of 1/4" ID 3/8" OD and one of 1/8" ID 1/4"O OD tubing. Both should be around 5/8" in length.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I sanded the outside of each of the pieces of vinyl tubing a bit. I made sure that one of the ends of the 3/8" OD tubing is very flat and even. I then carefully applied Plumbers Goop using toothpicks all around the 1/4" OD tubing and inserted it into a 1/8" NPT Brass Fitting that has a barb for 1/4" OD tubing. I pushed it in as far as it could go. I than pushed the 3/8" OD tubing over the 1/4" OD tubing. I applied goop all over the 3/8" OD tubing and the Brass Fitting then pushed/threaded it into the end of the PEX that was tapped with the 1/8-27 NPT bit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I cleaned off the excess Goop with a rag. I let that dry for 24 Hours. Once the Goop cured I inserted a 5/16" Ball Bearing, a small but strong spring, and the set screw.

Posted Image

The end product:

Posted Image

I set the pressure by adjusting the screw. I use my portable compressor set-up for this as well.

Posted Image

DEMONSTRATION VIDEO

Edited by venom213, 20 February 2011 - 02:43 PM.

#2 WicketTheModder619

WicketTheModder619

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:27 PM

First a homemade pump, now a homemade check valve....this has homemade airgun written all over it. Anyway, major props man, you ever been cranking some pretty cool stuff out lately. Keep up the great work!
23:06 Buffdaddy: As long as they aren't doing it all night, don't care.

#3 ahtanie

ahtanie

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:08 PM

Wow that's very impressive. I like it a lot!
Good work venom!

#4 kidame tomanaka

kidame tomanaka

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:41 PM

now we the people of the community have a home made pump, oprv valve, and the homemade air tank, we now have the parts for a fully home made air blaster.

Edited by kidame tomanaka, 20 February 2011 - 06:41 PM.

FLY #YOLOBOW FLY!
Wars Attended: NENO-CT 1-13 APOC -NJ13' 14' 15' 16' Frozen Foam-NY 15' Plains- PA. 15'

#5 ricochet

ricochet

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

I love this, great work. You posted this just in time, right before my first airgun build. Can you get the tapping bits and ball bearings at a hardware store, or do I need to order from mcmaster?

#6 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

I love this, great work. You posted this just in time, right before my first airgun build. Can you get the tapping bits and ball bearings at a hardware store, or do I need to order from mcmaster?

I got everything I used locally at Ace/The Home Depot. You might be able to get away without using tapping bits if you drill the PEX right. I got the taps because I knew I'd build many of these.

Edited by venom213, 20 February 2011 - 10:59 PM.

#7 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:57 AM

This is awesome, I love it. Sooo superior to my shitty pen threads, haha. One thing I've noticed with these is that they can be temperamental if hooked up to constant pressure (ie the main firing tank). I think this is why Hasbro puts them in the pump heads, as they won't siphon off the tank's air over a period of time. I've found them much more effective when installed in pump tubes/on pump heads. What's your experience with this issue?

#8 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:37 PM

Tantum: I haven't implemented one of these into a system yet. This weekend's mod party should yield some results. I'll keep this updated with future testing.

Edited by venom213, 23 February 2011 - 07:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users