Buzz Lightyear Approves!

8 replies to this topic

#1 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

Apologies for blurry pics. Cell phone is the best I have at the moment.

I usually find these at Wal-mart or Meijer for $15 (way overpriced), but after seeing them on sale for $10 once, I figured why not give it a try.
Posted Image

I took out all the screws, including two that hold the front piece on. Also use a tiny flat screwdriver to remove the clear canopy on the back; there are tabs holding it in place.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here we have the inside, plunger, electronics, and all. Lets measure, and then remove.
Posted ImagePosted Image
There's about 3" of plunger draw on the thing. pulling the trigger moves the large white plastic rod, which in turn a) presses the sound effects button and :) pulls on the catch. Also note the somewhat unique catch:
Posted Image

Now with the plunger tube out, let's look. the cap on the back just takes a turn, and it comes off. Two little plastic guide tabs are what hold it in place.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Plunger head is normal, although the o-ring is a clearish rubber. No real difference. The thing is well-lubed, and actually has a 100% seal. Nice surprise.
Posted ImagePosted Image
I would replace a spring, but I don't have any that fit. You need about 3" long, with an OD less than 27/32", in case you want to try.

I simply cut the front off the tube, expanded the airhole, and dremeled a bit around the base of the ammo holder, as it was basically the same OD as 1/2" CPVC. Slapped a coupler in there, carved the insides a bit, and put back together. Well, almost. The first try failed, and I had to cut out more plastic.
Posted Image

The final product, with a 3" CPVC barrel:
Posted Image

Ranges: stock, the darts went 20 feet, if that. Modded, both stock and slug darts do 40', and my single bb stefans do 50' consistently. A bit overpriced, but a decent sidearm, with sounds to boot.

Final note: the handle is tiny. Not entirely unconfortable, but if you have big hands, this blaster is not for you.

#2 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:11 PM

I recently got one for a buck at goodwill and destroyed it. The cap on the back had a peg glued into the shell, and same deal with the front. After maiming all that, I found the O-ring had been mangled somehow so it wouldn't seal and the stock AR mech went pretty deep in the plunger tube creating massive dead space. The plunger tube was quite weak as well, it cracked when I tried to drill out the AR. Handle is like a maxshot only smaller. The switch looks useful now that the barricade is out, but other than that I see no appeal at all for this blaster. Great job successfully modding one of these horrible blasters, if you want a Toy Story gun with some real potential you should check out the Zurg Ball Blaster (No mods have been posted yet either.)

#3 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:23 PM

Indeed, this thing really isn't worth it. It's nice that you can get decent ranges, but it should be $5, not $15. Then again, I have a few other pretty worthless blasters I've bought recently to mod, so apparently I'm an easy target for these guys :) Still fun to try at least once, though.

That is one thing I forgot to mention, the AR does extend back into the plunger tube. I have no clue why they designed it that particular way, but it's a bit annoying.

#4 knexpert66

knexpert66

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

My cousin got got one of these at his birthday party. I was looking at it and wondering if it had any modding potential.
Please, call me Busted.

#5 Goldie

Goldie

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

27/32? Wow man thats some tiny stuff. Do you have a MS spring on hand? That might fit.

Theres a crap load of "Buzz lightyear" blasters out there one of witch works a lot like a sharpshooter 1.

Longshots are terribad and you should feel bad.
Crossbow shells suck and your mom sucks.

S.C.U.N.

#6 xet

xet

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:32 PM

Then again, I have a few other pretty worthless blasters I've bought recently to mod, so apparently I'm an easy target for these guys :) Still fun to try at least once, though.

You can't have answers to what you don't explore.
Also good job modding this piece of shit.

Edited by xet, 06 December 2010 - 10:34 PM.

Fome:
"What the fuck?
A "borrowed" picture and a theoretical picture drawn in paint? Yeah, great writeup"

#7 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:05 PM

I recently got one for a buck at goodwill and destroyed it. The cap on the back had a peg glued into the shell, and same deal with the front. After maiming all that, I found the O-ring had been mangled somehow so it wouldn't seal

Maybe yours was already modded.
The front and back are NOT glued at the factory. But it is an extremely tight tolerance press fit.

I'm pretty sure that mine were glued, I couldn't pry the back cap off using more force than it takes for popping off magstrike pump caps or similar glued things. The knife I was using sliced through the plastic though.

#8 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:05 PM

Indeed, this thing really isn't worth it.

BOLLOCKS: undiscovered country has no price! I saw these in the Target near me a few months ago and was also deterred by the price but I will absolutely be on the look-out for one in the $10 range.

Nice write-up, lots of detail for something that is not going to exactly blow the doors off the competition at a war. I'm glad people will take the time to modify and document the less obvious (or obviously obscure) blasters.

Just realized the front-top portion looks just about 2k or SSBP sized...
The Difference:
-Guns shoot bullets that kill people
-Blasters shoot darts that tag people

I do not play with guns.

#9 Chadpuff

Chadpuff

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:40 AM

I got one of these for my son and just last night for some reason it stopped firing. I have yet to take it apart but this is definitly going to help. Wish me luck.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." ...Han Solo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users