A lesson in finding out what is crap

7 replies to this topic

#1 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:40 PM

I found one of these at the TRU in Sarnia, Ontario. $13, worth looking at since I hadn't seen it stateside. Also because the original Prime Toys version is $25 online. Here is my examination and mod - although it's not good. NOT GOOD.
Posted Image

Take apart a few screws to remove the pieces, and this is what you get. It's powered by an internal bungee, not the tiny bungee strings coming off the arms (they don't flex). Sadly, by the feel of it, I'm going on a limb and saying it's a giant reverse plunger - you'll see why I say that in a bit.
Posted Image

Here's the front of the blaster, where the arrow goes. Since arrows only go 10 feet max, we'll just forget about those and get rid of this barrel. You can see one end of the internal bungee here.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Take 1/2 of a 1/2" PVC coupler, with the internal ridge, and saw in a circle around the middle (so it has a ring of sorts). Dremel the shell a bit, then hot glue stuff in place on the plunger tube.
Posted Image

Here we are with a 4" barrel. And bungees added to either side. Ranges? Grand total of...25-40 feet. Yes, for the same price, you can grab a Maverick, mod it, and have 6 shots at that distance, not one. It's pretty shitty. It retty much has to be a reverse plunger.
Posted Image

Well, I have a crappy blaster. May as well replace the internals...say, with a new handle, trigger, Airtech tank, and pump?....
Posted Image

But that'll have to wait for another day. Just remember not to buy this thing.

#2 WicketTheModder619

WicketTheModder619

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:46 PM

Wow. The gun might be crap, but your write-ups certainly aren't. You have been quite busy obviously, are you on a break or something?
23:06 Buffdaddy: As long as they aren't doing it all night, don't care.

#3 Irish8

Irish8

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:38 AM

I would imagine that its a re-shelled version of the just toys crossbow except with no trigger. If it is then it probably won't have a seal on the plunger tube, hence the crap ranges. If you could get a better seal on the plunger it might even be worth replacing the POS internal bungee with a stronger one or an extension spring. :blink:
I'm going to bludgeon the smaller parts with the larger parts till I have plastic shards which I will melt into foregrips for blasters that WORK! - SonReeceSonJensen

#4 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:58 AM

It sort of reminds me of the LOTR Crossbow, albeit without a trigger.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#5 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:50 AM

Wow. The gun might be crap, but your write-ups certainly aren't. You have been quite busy obviously, are you on a break or something?

I agree; props on putting in the work for these blasters and high quality writeups.
Teehee.

#6 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

No, I'm not on break, just having a decent amount of leisure time between studies.

Although the nerfing will have to scale back for the next week; two tests, and Honors College events to organize. But after that, back with lots more.

#7 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:35 AM

If it's reverse plunger can you make a barrel that feeds into the plunger tube? That might get it up to ... 60?
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#8 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:29 AM

I thought about it; I'm going to end up chopping further into the thing to see what I can do. The thing is glued together pretty well, so my cuts will have to be creative, but we'll see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users