Photo

Fire Extinquisher Homemade

10 replies to this topic

#1 UpGraD3

UpGraD3

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 07:25 PM

I was browsing ebay to look into making a nerf gun. So I looked at water guns (super soakers) and I found this. Is there any way you could make an automatic nerf gun with this. I'm guesing that it doesn't let all the air out at once and its a pretty big airtank.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to post the link. Here it is http://cgi.ebay.com/...3189806861&rd=1

Edited by UpGraD3, 26 April 2004 - 07:41 PM.

"Is luck a loser's excuse for a winners position?"

#2 SkiMan

SkiMan

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 11:47 PM

Mmmm, I could go on for a few paragraphs about why you don't want to try and incorporate that into a homemade, but I'll be brief.

No, that's probably not a good thing to try and use for Nerf.

#3 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 12:03 AM

I agree with skiman, I don't think that would be a very good idea. But if you want the fire extingusiher effect, I would recommend the Buster 3000...
Posted Image
Slide a micro onto the tube, hold down the trigger and watch her take off a whole ten feet!

#4 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 12:59 AM

The tank itself is something you could easily reproduce with PVC, though it couldn't hold the same PSI. But metal is too heavy to be portable, and all that item is composed of is a metal air tank that you pressurize by hand and a large trigger that would be difficult to integrate into a nerf gun. Technically it would work, but for $25+ huge shipping you could probably create a more effective Nerf tank and buy a valve for it. Hell, put a big barrel on it and it would probably get 100+ feet. But for something that big it wouldn't be worth it.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#5 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 06:51 AM

My sweet fuckshafts people, look at yourselves.

Has it ever occured to you that he's selling a fully operational fire extinguisher, complete with foam?

Just because he says it can spray water, doesn't mean it will. I mean, the original nozzel is on there and everything. Plus how would you fill it? Or is that a minor technicality to you?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems like a nice internet fraud...

A bloody fire extinguisher over eBay, what's next?
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#6 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 01:35 PM

this fire extinguisher seems very similar to the ones we have in the photo lab at my school. if htey are anything like those, they have a screw on cap at the top that comes off. you then fill it with water ( we use a special chemical ) and screw the cap back on. then you attach a bike pump to the little air nozle and pump her up. if you were to fill it with just air it wouldnt be all that heavy at all. i could see someone wearing it on there back as an air tank, and intagrating it to a power clip or wildfire or something. you could even set it up so it refills the air tank to some homemade canon, but i dont think it has that much air pressure.

#7 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 04:44 PM

...Yes, a homemade would definitely be better, in every way.

...Well, unless you're lazily dozing on a pile of money. In which case, you should send all that money to me, after which I show you how to become a successful, motivated person (or die of starvation!).
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#8 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 06:59 PM

Fire extinguishers actually are very light when not full. I have an empty one myself, it weights near nothing. However, I don't know how to refill it so it's useless. The fact that the guage goes over 400 PSI is tempting though...

Whoever made that auction likely meant to say that he did this to it to make it into a water gun, not for the ones he's selling obviously. I personally wouldn't make that because the instructions were made several years ago and there's better stuff around now, also old fire extinguishers are really hard to find!

It would be better to make something similar out of PVC, if you need higher pressures get some schedule 80 or something. I also find it kinda amusing that you were "browsing ebay to look into making a nerf gun," IMO it would be easier to look at homemade instructions to do that.

#9 UpGraD3

UpGraD3

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 05:24 PM

I wasn't going to buy it, just thought about the valve. If it released water late then it might release air slow too. Wasn't going to buy it though.
"Is luck a loser's excuse for a winners position?"

#10 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 10:00 PM

I think what's sad, is that 2 people have already made bids on it.

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#11 Tinkerer

Tinkerer

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 09:07 PM

I found in my kitchen a little 1-liter fire extinguisher, and I thought about puting like a 10' piece of PVC on it and seeing how far it shot. It had a little nozzle, that would fit in the PVC (I think), but I'd have to let the barrel warm up for a while after each shot. (you know the Co2 in fire extinguishers comes out cold right?)
Actuall directions on some products:

On Pudding
"Product will be hot after heating"

On a Sweedish Chainsaw
"Do not try to stop with hands or genitals"
(Was alot of this happening somewhere? MY GOD!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users