Photo

Mcmaster Carr 1/2" Cpvc Seaching

23 replies to this topic

#1 keeks

keeks

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

I've been looking for a good online source for 1/2" cpvc. I looked on Mcmaster and didn't see any 1/2" cpvc.
do they even sell cpvc in 1/2" or am i just blind.
thanks guys,
Keeks

#2 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:26 PM

I've been looking for a good online source for 1/2" cpvc. Keeks

Any reason you need it to be online?
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#3 Brutal 770

Brutal 770

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

Basically every hardware store has 1/2 cpvc, why would you need it online? Also it is cheaper in store.
It's an injection attack against this version of IPB. We'll be down intermittently while I upgrade the site.

If I put ads on NerfHaven you'll know it. They'll be for drugs... and hookers... and duct tape.

By Cxwq

#4 nicholasy11

nicholasy11

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

Ace hardware has what you need if you have one nearby.
In a snowman's world,
eyes are burned to power trains,
noses grow in the ground,
and flesh rains from the sky.

#5 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:04 PM

Or home improvement superstores: Home Depot / Lowes / etc.

CPVC is pretty common. Unless you live miles from a city, you can probably find it for far less than shipping will set you back.
Fugly is a feature.

#6 keeks

keeks

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:04 PM

I've been looking for a good online source for 1/2" cpvc. Keeks

Any reason you need it to be online?

for some reason all my local hardware stores don't carry cpvc so i've had to resort to online sources

#7 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:29 PM

There is no clear CPVC on mcmaster, someone misnamed it that and it stuck. The material you are looking for is Polyester I think, it fits decent in CPVC couplers and is very similar to CPVC in dimensions.

#8 Darksircam

Darksircam

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:39 PM

Shipping's gonna be expensive though.
ACE and OSH near where I live have CPVC, it's just not found in the racks in-store. If the display rack has CPVC cross-sections, they probably have it.
Home Depot and Lowes may or may not have CPVC, depends on your store. I've never been able to find it at Home Depot, though asking around for copper-sized PVC may work as well.

Flexpvc has everything. It's still more expensive than buying it in-store though.
Travel Cost to TRU = $2. Eliminator pack = $15. Momentum testing = 2 lost darts. Outranging Recons with your mini pistol = priceless.

#9 ricochet

ricochet

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

Speaking from experience, buying piping online is not ideal. I bought 5ft lengths of nylon tubing and the shipping cost was $17.50(mcmaster). It is much cheaper to get it from a store, I prefer lowes, due to their large selection of lengths and diameters.

#10 Kyrativ

Kyrativ

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

Try pm-ing someone else in your state or nearby states and see if they could send you a bundle of 2.5' lengths.
The only nerfer who could kick your ass with a dart tag gun but not with a xbow

NERFSTRONG #44

#11 keeks

keeks

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:29 PM

Shipping's gonna be expensive though.
ACE and OSH near where I live have CPVC, it's just not found in the racks in-store. If the display rack has CPVC cross-sections, they probably have it.
Home Depot and Lowes may or may not have CPVC, depends on your store. I've never been able to find it at Home Depot, though asking around for copper-sized PVC may work as well.

Flexpvc has everything. It's still more expensive than buying it in-store though.

for my local OSH i've gone way to many times asking for CPVC and have probably pissed of the staff. i haven't tried Lowes yet but just letting you guys know for some reason on the west coast i just can't find a store nearby that sells it. thats why i started asking. thanks anyway guys for another suggestions please send me a PM
thanks guys, Keeks

#12 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:32 PM

You could also see if they can special order it for you. Some chains will ship free to the store and you're responsible for picking it up from there.

That said, shipping 2.5' lenghts will still be an expensive PitA, but I would imagine shipping 1' lengths to be quite easy. Maybe you could ask a NIC member to buy some for you?
Fugly is a feature.

#13 Nerf Gra

Nerf Gra

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:58 PM

IF you have an ACE near by lots of times they do free shipping to local stores you just have to go pick it up. Thats how I get my brass.
QUOTE(VelveetaAvenger @ Dec 6 2010, 12:14 AM) View Post

Maybe there's no Mcmaster, but you could make the first coconut airtank.

#14 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:46 PM

Yeah, if you are going to ship it anyway, there are many better barrel materials. Where on the west coast are you?
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#15 knexpert66

knexpert66

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

Ace hardware has what you need if you have one nearby.

If not there, check at Home Depot.
Please, call me Busted.

#16 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:46 PM

To answer your question more directly, mcmaster does not carry what we use for cpvc barrels. Their "cpvc pipe" (as you should search for it) is schedule 80 PVC pipe; they say it's made out of cpvc material, but I can't confirm nor deny that. 1/2" of that will fit in pvc couplers and have an ID of .526" (or so). It may work if you use larger darts, but it's certainly not the best option. It's expensive, requires high shipping costs, may not fit your darts and if it does, the next order of it may not.

The 3/8" size they list (6803K51) will fit in cpvc couplers, but will not fit your darts (.4" ID).

I recommend, as others have mentioned, other items. Brass is expensive, but is standardized in size - won't fluctuate much in the diameter, has low friction (best in most cases, as long as it's tight at the back of the barrel), can telescope and is relatively easy to come across.
Petg is very inexpensive (generally the least expensive option, actually), but it only comes in one size for the most part. I don't know of anyone selling medium wall petg, but the thick-wall is sold by myself and some others I think. It has a bit higher friction coefficient, but fits several foams quite well.
Cpvc is a decent choice as well, for pretty much the same reasons as petg, but fits a different range of foam (the smaller types). Obviously you have some issue finding some; if you haven't tried lowes, I suspect you'll find it there pretty easily.
Teehee.

#17 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:21 PM

You also may be asking the wrong question. When we discuss "CPVC" on this forum, what we are referring to is "Copper-tubing Size" PVC pipe.
Copper tubing pipe sizes are close to fractional inch diameters, where as Nominal Pipe Sizes are not.
"Copper-tubing Size" PVC pipe will appear more beige in color than NPS sizes of PVC.

The "CPVC" listed on Mcmaster-Carr is Co-Polymer PVC pipe which is a dense Gray PVC that has a higher average maximum pressure and temperature rating.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#18 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:52 PM

"Just try Ace, Lowes, Home Depot...." may or may not be helpfull. While searching for different brands of cpvc I was surprised to find that about half of the Lowes and Home Depot stores in my area carried cpvc, availability varied between individual stores (2 lowes carried cpvc (each a different brand) and 3 lowes stores didn't carry any), and some just ignorantly pointed me to their pex tubing with a confused look on their faces. Had i been unlucky enough to start my search with a store that lacked cpvc I probably would of given up on all local stores and resorted to the internet too.

I would suggest before looking on line, or even other modders, you make some phone calls to as many local hardware stores as are in your area. Once you've found one that carries cpvc, bring some of your fbr with to test in the store. Sizes vary slightly between production dates and brands.

Good luck

Edited by shmmee, 01 February 2011 - 09:56 PM.

"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#19 GeshmanWG

GeshmanWG

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:41 AM

Try using PEX tubing. It is pretty much the same ID and OD as CPVC. I think the ID may be a little tighter than CPVC but you can just drill it out. The major downside is that it is kinda bendy but it works well for short barrels or if you reinforce it with a wider tubing like PVC on the outside.
Also it's like 1/2 the price of CPVC (not that CPVC is expensive)

Edited by GeshmanWG, 02 February 2011 - 01:41 AM.

#20 Darksircam

Darksircam

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:48 AM

Unless you really really need CPVC for a certain purpose, you could also just go with a telescoping brass/PETG barrel. Wrapping the outside in a little duct tape and then Scotch tape gets it to CPVC-level OD. Works well for pretty much all blasters.

PEX is not good unless you have a strong spring, its average ID is slightly less than CPVC (.475 inches compared to CPVC's .48), making it a tight-ish dart fit depending on your darts.

Edited by Darksircam, 02 February 2011 - 02:49 AM.

Travel Cost to TRU = $2. Eliminator pack = $15. Momentum testing = 2 lost darts. Outranging Recons with your mini pistol = priceless.

#21 keeks

keeks

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

Try using PEX tubing. It is pretty much the same ID and OD as CPVC. I think the ID may be a little tighter than CPVC but you can just drill it out. The major downside is that it is kinda bendy but it works well for short barrels or if you reinforce it with a wider tubing like PVC on the outside.
Also it's like 1/2 the price of CPVC (not that CPVC is expensive)

well since my Long shot bolt sled broke i was going to single it so PEX wont work.
im guna try my local Lowes and Home depot this weekend
if i can find some il tell ya
thanks,
keeks

#22 keeks

keeks

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:21 AM

ok thanks guys i finally fond a constant source for cpvc. thanks youguys so much
i have one more question. sorry but i need a good source of PETG. i heard that it is some times at pet stores, but i need to be sure. sorry guys but thanks,
keeks

Edited by keeks, 06 February 2011 - 12:31 AM.

#23 Darksircam

Darksircam

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:21 AM

Order from Split. The PETG at Petco is generally either too tight or too loose on the darts, and you might not be able to get a reliable supply if it even works.
Just buy it from Split. Shipping shouldn't be that expensive if you get a good amount.

#24 keeks

keeks

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:41 AM

Order from Split. The PETG at Petco is generally either too tight or too loose on the darts, and you might not be able to get a reliable supply if it even works.
Just buy it from Split. Shipping shouldn't be that expensive if you get a good amount.

i dont have a paypal or ebay
also i need to know if Mcmaster has good fbr

Edited by keeks, 06 February 2011 - 06:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users