Night Vision For N-strike

New Jakks Pacific Scope

47 replies to this topic

#1 Solscud007

Solscud007

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:29 PM

I know some of you are not into N-strike. But set that aside.

I saw this recently in TRU so I bought it. It is the Jakks Pacific Night Vision Scope.

Jakks Pacific started with the Eyeclops goggles.

Posted Image

Then they came out with the Call of Duty MW2 goggles.

Posted Image

Jakks Pacific recycled the design and made a pair of binoculars. Well now they have made a scope. It has a mount but there is no information about what it is supposed to mount to. It loosely fits on a Nerf N-Strike rail. I used some gaffer tape to make a more snug fit. The Scope can also fit mil-spec picatinny rails but there is nothing to keep it on the rail.

I could modify it with Nerf accessory mounts but will do that later.

Here is the scope on my Raider. It works well in the dark. Could be useful for those who lay HvZ in the dark.

Posted Image

Here is a picture of the LCD screen, someone requested.

Posted Image

I have a set of MBUS (Magpul Back Up sights) and it lines up with the scope.
Posted Image

Here you can see it thru the scope. It works but I prefer to not use the sights. Its nerf afterall.
Posted Image

Update: the NV scope works with magnification!!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Its kind of hard to see, but the cross hairs from my airsoft 4x power Trijicon Acog are centered and focused in the NV scope. My camera had a hard time getting the focus and framing of the NV Scope screen.
Posted Image

Edited by Solscud007, 05 February 2011 - 05:29 PM.

#2 sci-olyrocks

sci-olyrocks

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:36 PM

Is it worth the $55 price tag? (Found here @ toysrus.com.
You can talk to me about anything you want as long as it involves emma stone

#3 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:30 AM

Is it worth the $55 price tag? (Found here @ toysrus.com.

I've never used one personally, but every review I've read says Eyeclops stuff is as good as anything until you get up to the 400-500 dollar price range.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#4 Solscud007

Solscud007

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:34 AM

Well considering that they do let you see in total darkness then yes it is worth it. However the field of view is extremely narrow.

As Velveeta Avenger mentions, unless you are paying more than $500 up to $2000 then $50 is just fine.

Plus its nerf. the distance to see in the dark is good enough.

Also if you add a bright IR light like my surefires (which cost a whole lot more btu i have them) then the $50 NVG works really well.

The one thing I love about this scope is that the scope has two IR led light levels. They label it as close up and far away. There are a total of 8 IR leds around the objective lens. What that means is there are 4 low output IR LEDs that are not visible bythe naked eye. The higher power 4 IR LEDs do have a small amount of visible light in the spectrum that canbe seen in the dark. However it is a dim red glow and only a person with night adapted vision could see the faint red glow and only if they look directly straight onto the scope's front.

#5 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:00 AM

I really like this. Up to the point where it is now on my US shopping list...

What kinda batteries are we looking at here?

#6 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:19 AM

Brit, the CoD MW2 ones use a ton of AA batteries... You can test them out before you buy them when you get here, since I have them... Personally, I love them.

#7 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:21 AM

Brit, the CoD MW2 ones use a ton of AA batteries... You can test them out before you buy them when you get here, since I have them... Personally, I love them.

Cool. Either way, we're making a trip to TRU before the wars....

#8 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

Cool. Either way, we're making a trip to TRU before the wars....

Lol, sounds good. there's one like 20 minutes from where I live.

#9 Solscud007

Solscud007

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

Britnerf, the goggles use 5xAA batteries. But the scope only uses 4xAAA.

#10 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:15 AM

Good to know. What's the lifespan like?

#11 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:23 AM

Good to know. What's the lifespan like?

If it's anything like the goggles, it's great. I haven't had to switch batteries yet, and it's been around a year... Of course, I don't use them everyday. But, you won't be using a scope everyday either.

#12 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

This is literally the most retarded thing I have ever seen on these forums. That prize is now yours sir.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#13 iknowmy3tables

iknowmy3tables

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:22 PM

This is literally the most retarded thing I have ever seen on these forums. That prize is now yours sir.

oh my Talio thinks this is retarded and he's a senior member of the forum, I'd better not take any interest in it then

just ask yourself, did you contribute anything to this thread. Perhaps other people don't agree with you and would just like to enjoy discussing the product at hand. If you simply wanted to state you opinion you should use the word "I". For example "I think this is bad" that is formally stating an opinion "This is bad" is just an insult. Please it's common courtesy

anyways I think this is pretty interesting, due to the limited field of view and effectiveness in these cheap night vision devices it's probably more practical to have a handheld monocular device and if you plan on using it for nerf activities it might as well be on your blaster, and the blaster can also serve as a platform for mounting more IR lights

Edited by iknowmy3tables, 29 January 2011 - 05:41 PM.

#14 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

I'm glad you think it's retarded Talio. Really, that's brought this discussion to a new level.

In any case, I think this is pretty interesting. Don't know if I'd ever pick one up myself, but if I did, I'd be happy to use it for shits and giggles. What kind of range does it allow you to see efectively in the dark?

Edited by CROW, 29 January 2011 - 05:51 PM.

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#15 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:10 PM

ooh, I just have to get one of these for the nerf night op missions I'm constantly doing. It would be sooooo tacticool.

On a serious note, I could buy any nerf blaster currently on the market, a roll of duct tape, and a flashlight for $55 or less. Let's not forget that we spend our time modifying childrens' toys to play tag with. I can see how this is interesting, just not how it would be very useful at all.
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#16 Guest_TheSilverhead_*

Guest_TheSilverhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:19 PM

Not bad for 50$, but, eh, is a flashlight really THAT bad? I mean, I have a few connections, and I've gotten a free IR home security cam that's awsome in the dark. Too bad I don't have a small screen! (PS. will trade some techyfor this scope or the goggles.)

#17 Solscud007

Solscud007

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:27 PM

For those who dont want this, its fine. There are some of us who do.

Adding a flashlight to a nerf gun is a no brainer. However it depends on what the light is for.

Tactical lights are rarely used for navigating in the dark. They are utilized in force as a multplier and increase your tactical advantage by overwhelming your opponent with startling searing blinding light.

However using a flashlight has its draw backs. Night Vision obviously is used for one specific purpose. to remain hidden in the shadows. No amount of flashlights can give you that advantage.

If you are not interested in playing a lights out game, then this is not for you.

it just adds another interesting degree of play to a toy and game designed for children.

Edited by Solscud007, 29 January 2011 - 08:28 PM.

#18 iDrag0m1r

iDrag0m1r

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

Can we see what it looks like down the scope? It would be extremely funny to use, and for that sole purpose I might try to get one on ebay, unless the sight sucks.
I AM JUNIOR!

#19 Solscud007

Solscud007

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

Can we see what it looks like down the scope? It would be extremely funny to use, and for that sole purpose I might try to get one on ebay, unless the sight sucks.

Sure thing. Just added screen shots of the LCD screen of the NV scope.

#20 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

This looks like it will be great for bunker wars. I'd love to read a review of how it fares in an actual Nerf battle. As previously said, limiting field of view is an interesting trade-off.
Fugly is a feature.

#21 Kyrativ

Kyrativ

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:15 AM

night vision scope-$55
magpul buis-$85
raider-$30

looking like a milsim douche at HvZ games-priceless.

Seriously whats the point of scopes and iron sights and all that? Its nerf, not a bunch of tacticool magpul operators operating, its a bunch of childish grown ups shooting foam at each other.
The only nerfer who could kick your ass with a dart tag gun but not with a xbow

NERFSTRONG #44

#22 Solscud007

Solscud007

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:47 AM

night vision scope-$55
magpul buis-$85
raider-$30

Seriously whats the point of scopes and iron sights and all that? Its nerf, not a bunch of tacticool magpul operators operating, its a bunch of childish grown ups shooting foam at each other.

To each their own. I have a set of mbus so i felt like putting them on. Keep your opinions to yourself. I'm merely showing options and how the night vision could be used for nerf.

#23 Kyrativ

Kyrativ

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:55 AM

night vision scope-$55
magpul buis-$85
raider-$30

To each their own. I have a set of mbus so i felt like putting them on. Keep your opinions to yourself. I'm merely showing options and how the night vision could be used for nerf.

Im not saying that its not useful I'm saying that your kinda stretching the use of irons and scopes and all that; its not totally necessary for the nerf atmosphere, applications, and limits.

Thats said to each his own, i'll stick with hip firing haha.
The only nerfer who could kick your ass with a dart tag gun but not with a xbow

NERFSTRONG #44

#24 Avatar of WoeBrian

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:36 AM

"Im not saying that its not useful I'm saying that your kinda stretching the use of irons and scopes and all that; its not totally necessary for the nerf atmosphere, applications, and limits."

"It works but I prefer to not use the sights. Its nerf afterall." -above his 5th picture

Thanks for sharing this Solscud, I had just brainstormed some very N-strike heavy scenarios for my friends and I where we mainly play in pitch dark and then suddenly this came up on the forums haha. One of my friends and I are going to split the cost for one perhaps to test it out in the coming months (I'm at college right now).

Edited by Avatar of Woe(Brian), 30 January 2011 - 01:38 AM.

#25 Demon Lord

Demon Lord

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:45 AM

I can see in darkened areas for HvZ in campus settings or indoor wars with the lights out that something like this could be handy. Scenario specific of course, and defiantly not something I'd set out to buy if I had other things to buy, but a neat little find. Retarded? No. Niche. Quite.
QUOTE(VACC @ Mar 7 2011, 09:03 AM) View Post

Don't worry so much about what other people will allow. Throw your own wars and kick your friends' asses until they all want one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users