Nerf Grenades

Any comments/ ideas?

66 replies to this topic

#51 blink 182

blink 182

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 08:55 PM

Thanks so much Timber, I’m probably going to go build one of those. (Unless I don’t eat the corn first?) I would want to try to replace the corn with Small weighted chunks of FBR. The corn sound like the best idea though.
New Price On Freedom, Buy Into It While Supplies Last...

#52 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 10:23 PM

Sorry, FBR?

The corn really did work well as a shrapnel material, surprisingly. As I said before, its biodegradable (sp?), doesn't hurt, its durable, and inside, as long as you're willing to hunt a little and use a broom, shouldn't be too hard to clean up (some warehouse environ would be ideal though). Rubber/Airsoft pellets would probably be the best though.

Good luck. I would provide images, but not only do I not have a site to link to, but that would take effort ^_^.
"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." - The Architect, The Matrix: Reloaded

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#53 seirus

seirus

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 10:29 PM

My original thought as to some grenade was to pump it. Upon contact, air would be released from pores througout the body. These pores could be loaded with foam and or airsoft bbs and go on their way. I suppose the difficulty would be making this compact, however.

Edited by seirus, 19 May 2004 - 10:30 PM.

Yeah, life sucks, but it does guarantee a trip around the sun every 365 days.

#54 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 02:14 AM

Instead of using the mess of explosive matter and air pressure and stuff, wouldn't it just be easier to rig a tennis ball with some sort of timer that flashes and beeps when it goes off? I know in some Larping, they have certain "area of effect" rules which pertain to certain spells and traps used when roleplaying. Using the tennis ball timer grenades, the people within a certain area of the grenade when it goes off can be considered hit.

Think of some of the advantages of doing this:

-Easily Reusable: Of the various ideas that I have seen posted on using grenades in a Nerf war over the years, most of them involve using either explosives or some sort of consumable material which is used up after a single use of the grenade. I understand the legitimacy of this in paintball grenades, but using consumable materials can get costly over time, especially if you are Nerfing. With the tennis ball timers, they can easily be reset and reused over and over again.

-Safe: Unless someone directly chucks the tennis ball at someone's face, the potential for injury is completely unlikely compared to using something that hurls bb's or corn at someone.

-Cleaner: Let's face it. Using something that hurls bb's or corn makes one hell of a mess to clean up afterwards, making it especially not a good idea for indoor wars. When Nerfing, sometimes it is a pain enough to clean up the darts laying around.
"Do you like gladiator movies, Johnny?"

#55 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 01:23 PM

Seriously, my "Cornades" as Blink and I have dubbed them (I have to give credit to Blink, that name is both fitting and hilarious, kudos again, lol) are not expensive to make. Corn itself is cheap -free if you live near a corn field, it doesn't 'hurl' itself at people with a 'potential for injury' (indeed, I'd say it has far less kinetic force than any Nerf dart, considering corn isn't exaclty "dense") and outside, there is no problem cleaning it up, because what isn't eaten by squirels will biodegrade. The film canisters are a little hard to get a hold of, but as I said before, cut PVC would probably do the job just as well (actually, I called a camera store once and asked if they had any canisters they wanted to get rid of, and they said they had dozens they could give me, I just never followed up, making the canisters free as well). The springs would probably be the most troublesome, because you have to cut and stretch them. Even a relatively unresourceful person would be able to put together several cornades for almost free. Finally, the entire contraption is reusable except for the corn, which, as I pointed out earlier, is easily capable of being extremely cheap or free.

As far is as safety is concerned, again, corn is not dangerous. I never said to use BB's either, that would be both stupid and ineffective. Airsoft/rubber pellets (like those found in those toy guns) would be just as harmless, and if a person hit had even slightly heavy clothing on, he might not know he was hit at all. Finally, I have found that at most large wars (and many smaller ones), some kind of safety goggles are required (I found some badass ones on a website I'm gonna pick up before SENO), so this eliminates the eye problem. Regardless, I don't think either the corn or pellets would be any more dangerous than microdarts, particularly the beefy Stefans out there. I would be more worried about those than corn...

Finally, practicality. Now, you're talking about using a ball as a grenade, a rubber ball (tennis, specifically) as a grenade? With an imagined blast radius? And flashing lights, a timer, and a buzzer? Not only would that be fragile, but who knows how many people would would dispute a hit. "Oh, it wasn't near me, it bounced before it went off way over there." "Bull**** man, it was right there ::point::" "How would you know, you threw it at me!" "No kidding, I would know cause I threw it!" "Well, either way, it was around the corner before it went off" "Yeah right, I saw the light right there!" "Um, reflecting of the walls maybe, it is dark ya know..." You get the picture. Not only all that, but putting the bloody thing together would be a hassle. First, you would have to cut it in half to fit in the timer, buzzer, and light. Then, you would have to find a reliable, secure way to keep the innards from breaking. Then, an easy and practical way to reset it. Than I guess you would drill holes in it so that the light would escape, except that would introduce the elements to the innards and cause a short circut if it impacted water, and then an electrical hazard. Then you'd have to wire the bloody thing. On and on. I won't even get into cost, both in supplies and hassle of finding all the components. Finally, stuffing all that into a tennis ball?

Sorry 'bout that if that was too harsh, just seemed kinda "out there"... BTW, what is "Larping"?

Now I'm off for The Lu, again, later all.

Edited by TimberwolfCY, 20 May 2004 - 01:32 PM.

"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." - The Architect, The Matrix: Reloaded

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#56 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 06:20 PM

Seriously, my "Cornades" as Blink and I have dubbed them (I have to give credit to Blink, that name is both fitting and hilarious, kudos again, lol) are not expensive to make. Corn itself is cheap -free if you live near a corn field, it doesn't 'hurl' itself at people with a 'potential for injury' (indeed, I'd say it has far less kinetic force than any Nerf dart, considering corn isn't exaclty "dense") and outside, there is no problem cleaning it up, because what isn't eaten by squirels will biodegrade. The film canisters are a little hard to get a hold of, but as I said before, cut PVC would probably do the job just as well (actually, I called a camera store once and asked if they had any canisters they wanted to get rid of, and they said they had dozens they could give me, I just never followed up, making the canisters free as well). The springs would probably be the most troublesome, because you have to cut and stretch them. Even a relatively unresourceful person would be able to put together several cornades for almost free. Finally, the entire contraption is reusable except for the corn, which, as I pointed out earlier, is easily capable of being extremely cheap or free.

As far is as safety is concerned, again, corn is not dangerous. I never said to use BB's either, that would be both stupid and ineffective. Airsoft/rubber pellets (like those found in those toy guns) would be just as harmless, and if a person hit had even slightly heavy clothing on, he might not know he was hit at all. Finally, I have found that at most large wars (and many smaller ones), some kind of safety goggles are required (I found some badass ones on a website I'm gonna pick up before SENO), so this eliminates the eye problem. Regardless, I don't think either the corn or pellets would be any more dangerous than microdarts, particularly the beefy Stefans out there. I would be more worried about those than corn...

Finally, practicality. Now, you're talking about using a ball as a grenade, a rubber ball (tennis, specifically) as a grenade? With an imagined blast radius? And flashing lights, a timer, and a buzzer? Not only would that be fragile, but who knows how many people would would dispute a hit. "Oh, it wasn't near me, it bounced before it went off way over there." "Bull**** man, it was right there ::point::" "How would you know, you threw it at me!" "No kidding, I would know cause I threw it!" "Well, either way, it was around the corner before it went off" "Yeah right, I saw the light right there!" "Um, reflecting of the walls maybe, it is dark ya know..." You get the picture. Not only all that, but putting the bloody thing together would be a hassle. First, you would have to cut it in half to fit in the timer, buzzer, and light. Then, you would have to find a reliable, secure way to keep the innards from breaking. Then, an easy and practical way to reset it. Than I guess you would drill holes in it so that the light would escape, except that would introduce the elements to the innards and cause a short circut if it impacted water, and then an electrical hazard. Then you'd have to wire the bloody thing. On and on. I won't even get into cost, both in supplies and hassle of finding all the components. Finally, stuffing all that into a tennis ball?

Sorry 'bout that if that was too harsh, just seemed kinda "out there"... BTW, what is "Larping"?

Now I'm off for The Lu, again, later all.

Well you are right about the low expense of using corn, however not everyone has this easily available.

I am sure that if a timer is used, they can be modified to be durable to keep the timers from breaking when being thrown.

As for the practicality in a war, people will need to agree on a set of ground rules before playing. And of course, you will need to use proper etiquette with each other in being hit, just like registering hits from normal darts.
"Do you like gladiator movies, Johnny?"

#57 blink 182

blink 182

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 07:00 PM

I like the idea with the tennis ball and everything but then there is no point for an nad. There is only a light and then you’re done? A nad has to be something that your physically “hit” with, and corn seems to fill that spot (F.B.R. is foam backer rod, the stuff that homemade darts are made of)
New Price On Freedom, Buy Into It While Supplies Last...

#58 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:31 PM

Ok, I'v been busy with an up coming overnight nerf war( ^_^ )fri/sat and my la cross team is going to the final game sunday, but i still like the film canaster thing.It can easly be fixed.here are some dis-advanteges that need fixing.

1. it does spray up water. I think this'll be an easy fix. I'm gonna play with this and I'll get back to ya

2. range. this is harder. I'm working on a plan, but like i said before, i'll play around with this awhile.

3. timing all this can be hard, because it's a short time limit. Only way to do this is through testing.

:P PS use the clear/white FUJI FILM canasters, as they are the only ones that hold pressure!!! :P

Hope to get back soon!!!
Oops! forgot: longs has them if youask and the people aren't as stupid as the home depot people

Edited by nerfspecialforces, 20 May 2004 - 09:34 PM.

QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#59 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 07:30 PM

Ok, I would like to clear up a few things. First off, Airsoft BBs have nothing to do with their name. They are not to soft and have noting to do with air, except that is what they fly through and that is what moves them from out of the barrel. Unless Green Gas, Top Gas, or CO2 is used. Second, the idea of using a pipe with pores that have projectiles in them (Seirus put that earlier in this thread) is, in fact, a decent form of a grenade. My version of this idea is to use a weak glue to hold biodegradeable Airsoft BBs (they do make them) in the pores. That way, when a nail, with lead attached to the point, but retaining the point, it would have enough power to penetrate a thin membrane (made of replaceable material), behind which is the pressurized air that would then be released by the puncture in the membrane. The nail could even be aided by a spring, or even a spring alone, no lead as a weight. Then it would resemble a rfeal grenade, the only difference is that this one would have no percussion cap/primer that the nail would strike. To fire it, the nail's head would be held up by a piece that is flung off by a trip cord. I guess though that this design is not that much a grenade, but more of a land mine. As you can tell, though, the "nail" would actually have to be a custom molded piece that has to heads, one for the spring and one for the firing pin. After typing this all up, however, I noticed that this design is a real piece of crap that I shouldn't have posted, but it may inspire new ideas to the minds of whoever reads this. And maybe I'll grow a new brain. The new one might be more descriptive in designs of an object that I see as useless on a Nerf battlefield.

One last thing, alkaselzer (sp) does not provide very much force when put in water and shaken up in a film case. I know this from first hand experience in the fifth grade. Even when the kid used three selzers and a full thing of water, and all other posibilities of combinations, he was not able to get a very large amount of force rapidly. The best working version took two minutes to blow. It really blew though. I'm sorry that I don't remember the amounts of the water/seltzers that he used. Just take this post as my two cents, and then sum.
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#60 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 04:00 PM

Maybe my computers screwed up, but did you say 2 minutes :o a tablet in a film canaster will pop in a matter of seconds.(sorry it's not exact, but i was at an overnighter nerf war :lol: and didn't have time to get the supplies)

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#61 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:59 PM

Hey. Sorry to be a bastard NSF, but could you please work on your grammar a little? There are too many pronoun references and I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what you mean. Thanks dude.

About "longs has them if youask and the people aren't as stupid as the home depot people", who is "longs"? Any place I could get a few cheap film canisters for the upcoming SENO war would be awesome. Thanks.

Edited by TimberwolfCY, 24 May 2004 - 10:00 PM.

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#62 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 10:12 AM

1."Longs" is a store.

2. I'll work on my grammar. It,along with spelling,are my worst subjects ^_^

3. I'm gonna have the results of the experiments in soon.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#63 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 12:09 PM

Ah, okay, thanks. I thought Longs was an abreviation. Where do you live at, I have never heard of it before. See ya.

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#64 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 10:19 PM

I have an idea for anyone who has too much time; this would be sort of like a land mine. Get some motion sensors (the cheap kind) And see if you can connect an electrical device that would turn on when the motion sensors are activated. It may or may not be possible to program a barrel to turn in the general direction of the activated sensor, but in any case, when one of the sensors are activated, the barrel would fire off a projective. (Think laptop gun on Perfect Dark). I don't know if this would be going too far for homemades...

-AirApache
Indiana '11

#65 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 11:28 PM

I live in southern california Just about to...twich... get the test...twich...
results...twich

Hay, if you ever get the "motion sensor" thing to work, let me now! :cry:
If that works, a timer can easly replace the sensor...I think...maybe :cry:

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#66 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 07:03 PM

Ah. Test results? I'm assuming a standardized test. Those things are so bloody annoying.

That land mine thing sounds a little much. Its an intriguing idea, and probably could work after enough tinkering, but frankly I don't have that kind of knowledge as far as electronics and wiring go, etc. Good luck to anyone who attempts it.

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#67 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:01 PM

:P SUCCESS!!! I got it! Finally, a nerf grenade! wow, long time to figure it out, but I did it!

1. Get a film canister(read other posts)and alcaseltzer tablets.

2. Fold a piece of duct tape so the a small section of the sticky part still shows and then cut the top, the non-sticky part, into a couple pieces keeping the bottom, the sticky part, in tacked.

3. Tape it on to the side of the canister to make a ring.

4. Then put about 1 - 1 1/2 of water in the canister when ready to fire.

5. Take 2 strip about the size of a square and stick them together, leaving a little bit of stick uncovered on two sides.

6. Cut up FBR into tiny pieces.

7. DO THIS QUCKLY Drop a 1/3 of the tablet into the water, cap the thing, shove the FBR into the ring, and stick the duct tape on.THROW IT :P

PS: as you'll figure out, it doesn't shoot everywhere. It also works as a land mine.

edit: anyone reading this? Then post something.

Edited by nerfspecialforces, 29 May 2004 - 10:01 PM.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users