Photo

Long Range Primary?

Looking for a low cost blaster to mod into a long range primary.

28 replies to this topic

#1 MAV13

MAV13

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:09 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster here,

I recently got back into modding when I saw the Barricade in Walmart over the holidays; two Li-ion batteries later and I have an awesome short range primary. I've still got a kick-ass Tech Target, crayola barreled with a big 20lb draw spring in it that is dead accurate from 60'.

Now I'm in the mood to kick it up a notch so I'm looking for a cheap blaster that can be modded to shoot in the 100' realm. I've narrowed it down to 3 possibles that are inexpensive and still in production: the Nerf Big Bad Bow (don't actually know if this can top the 100 ft range), the Lanard Blast Bazooka, and the Buzzbee Missle Blast. If you guys could comment on these it would be greatly appreciated; alternatively you could suggest other low-cost, still available long range blasters.

Thanks!
MAV13 :D

#2 NimbleFellow

NimbleFellow

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

BBB's might not get 100', but by just slapping a coupler on mine i got 80'. I'd go with an LBB with a RSCB/Hopper though.

#3 Niteshot

Niteshot

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:29 PM

LBB or BBB With a wye both just own. If you're looking to use stock darts, single a BBB, use CPVC. The thing just destroy.
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 7 2010, 10:31 AM) View Post

For the love of fuck. The next person who announces that they are using something in their signature, ever, is banned. I fucking hate you.

#4 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:47 PM

A 4B or a snap would be the two cheapest and best performing choices.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#5 MAV13

MAV13

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

I'm not familar with those acronyms. :D

#6 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

I'm not familar with those acronyms. :D

4B is Buzz Bee Big Blast, and SNAP is (I don't think it stands for anything)
SNAP is the PVC homemade.
There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#7 MAV13

MAV13

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:57 PM

Oh ok, I looked up the SNAP and I would try one, but my fabrication skills aren't up to snuff. I do plan to make a Ja-bow as my first foray into homemade's though.

#8 MAV13

MAV13

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

Is the 4B the same as the newer Buzzbee Ultimate Missile Blast?

Scratch that, they look entirely different.

Edited by MAV13, 09 January 2011 - 09:05 PM.

#9 ricochet

ricochet

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

Oh ok, I looked up the SNAP and I would try one, but my fabrication skills aren't up to snuff. I do plan to make a Ja-bow as my first foray into homemade's though.

From my experience, homemades like the snap tend to get you the most bang for your buck. Regardless of your fabrication skills, I suggest you consider a snap. Plus, they are very easy to build.

#10 domo0

domo0

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

Are you mavrev13 by any chance?

Edited by domo0, 09 January 2011 - 09:16 PM.

If you do not locate the key in time you will... You mean this key right here... what tha.

#11 MAV13

MAV13

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

Not that I know of, no.

#12 domo0

domo0

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:26 PM

Not that I know of, no.

Okay well um sorry for interrupting you.
If you do not locate the key in time you will... You mean this key right here... what tha.

#13 utahnerf

utahnerf

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:36 PM

Big Blasts are insanely simple to modify, and have very good ranges. If you would like a homemade springer, a SNAP is a solid, simple, and powerful springer. They do very well when outfitted with a hopper or chopper. Also, if you are fine with ranges around 80', you could go with an Airtech 2000. They are relatively easy to modify, and give good results. I've used one as a primary for a couple wars. If you end up using a gun without a turret, a hopper clip is a good investment. It will provide you with a great fire rate opposed to a speedloader.

Also, if you decide to go the bow route, make one of Kane's bows, the Aabow. (Actually A Bow)

Edited by utahnerf, 09 January 2011 - 09:39 PM.

#14 MAV13

MAV13

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

I was actually thinking of making a Ja-bow, seen here. It's so incredibly simple that I have to try it. In addition, I will still get a Big Blast and make a RSCB clip for it. Can someone with clip fabbing experience tell me what diameter and types of pvc are used in this image Posted Image

The OP said nothing about what types and measurements went where and this looks much simpler than the old tutorial in Nerfhaven's mods section. I do know that the joints are 1/2" and there is both CPVC and PVC involved. I just need a description of which is where so I can put one together.

I think this should work out pretty well right?

Edited by MAV13, 09 January 2011 - 10:02 PM.

#15 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:06 AM

Oh ok, I looked up the SNAP and I would try one, but my fabrication skills aren't up to snuff.

They're really quite easy to make - don't be intimidated! If you decide to build one, I would recommend trying Rork's SNAPbow Mk V, which is the current state of the art in pull-back SNAPs.

The other suggestions in this thread are good, but building a homemade will teach you a lot about modding. Not to mention that SNAPs are extremely effective blasters, with ranges easily clearing 100ft.

Can someone with clip fabbing experience tell me what diameter and types of pvc are used in this image

That's what we call and RSCB clip. Almost all the fittings and pipes you see are 1/2" sch40 PVC (which allows darts to freely fall through). The elbow section is called an "elbow", and the T section is called a "tee" (duuuurrr). The barrel section (sticking forward) will be made of CPVC, or some other material in which darts have a tight fit. If you go the route of a Big Blast or a SNAP, it is a very good idea to use a clip system like this. Very high-volume blasters (such as bow designs mentioned here) will work well with an RSCB as well.

Lately, there has been a mass conversion of sorts to a more modern clip system: the hopper clip. These perform better than RSCB clips, and have a number of other advantages as well. They do, however, require a special PVC fitting (the wye) which is only easily attainable off the internet. I would say: stick with an RSCB for now, just as a starter clip system.

Ultimately, if you decide to build a SNAP, and then attach a hopper clip to it, you will have a very powerful homemade than can compete with nearly anything on the modern field.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 10 January 2011 - 08:19 AM.

#16 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:22 AM

In addition, I will still get a Big Blast and make a RSCB clip for it. Can someone with clip fabbing experience tell me what diameter and types of pvc are used in this image ...

There are several write-ups for RSCB clips, but there's really no point in making one. They're antiquated technology as far as nerf is concerned. If you're blaster has enough air volume to utilize one (and a 4B certainly does), than a hopper clip out performs an RSCB in terms of range and rate of fire. Also, they're even simpler to construct. Want more information? SEARCH!

#17 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:26 AM

In addition, I will still get a Big Blast and make a RSCB clip for it. Can someone with clip fabbing experience tell me what diameter and types of pvc are used in this image ...

There are several write-ups for RSCB clips, but there's really no point in making one. They're antiquated technology as far as nerf is concerned. If you're blaster has enough air volume to utilize one (and a 4B certainly does), than a hopper clip out performs an RSCB in terms of range and rate of fire. Also, they're even simpler to construct. Want more information? SEARCH!

Unless of course you are amongst the rare number of us that still use stock darts in wars. Then you can't use a hopper, and a RSCB works nicely.

#18 Inferno Falcon

Inferno Falcon

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:39 AM

I was actually thinking of making a Ja-bow, seen here. It's so incredibly simple that I have to try it. In addition, I will still get a Big Blast and make a RSCB clip for it. Can someone with clip fabbing experience tell me what diameter and types of pvc are used in this image Posted Image

The OP said nothing about what types and measurements went where and this looks much simpler than the old tutorial in Nerfhaven's mods section. I do know that the joints are 1/2" and there is both CPVC and PVC involved. I just need a description of which is where so I can put one together.

I think this should work out pretty well right?

If you're willing to spend the time/money an aabow would be a much better choice.

#19 NerfGeek416

NerfGeek416

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

Kane made a write-up for a tagger hopper clip.

Edited by NerfGeek416, 10 January 2011 - 10:42 AM.

#20 MAV13

MAV13

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

Thanks guys, I did some reading on hoppers and it sounds like they are roughly equivalent to RSCB's in terms of distance lost; the gravity loading would be useful though. I'm just going to buy a mess of PVC, CPVC and couplers and see what comes of it. The Big Blast is in the mail and the Ja-bow is waiting on some bungees. I don't really have the cash to make a legit homemade monster, but I may try some of the things you've suggested in the future.

Thanks,
MAV13

Edited by MAV13, 10 January 2011 - 02:21 PM.

#21 ChaosRaisin

ChaosRaisin

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

I'd also recommend a Buzz Bee Big Blast (4B or BBBB.) They're cheap, simple, extremely easy to modify, and produce great ranges.
Zorn- "Or, if you play the socal/"real" way, you have some pokeballs, some energy cards, and two dudes in caps who yell at each other."

#22 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:49 PM

Thanks guys, I did some reading on hoppers and it sounds like they are roughly equivalent to RSCB's in terms of distance lost

You've read poorly.

#23 utahnerf

utahnerf

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

I have found that hoppers are far superior, due to not having to tip them downward for the dart to settle, and them having far less deadspace. Therefore, hoppers have less of a range loss.

#24 flamincows

flamincows

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:29 AM

Hoppers however (in my experience) are lacking in accuracy, and tend to shoot upward for some reason. Not to mention they can be a bit unwieldy depending on the length of the clip and how tightly the PVC sits in your coupler. I've seen people shoot the clip right off their blaster more than a few times.
This is much easier to remedy with an RSCB as you can tape the damn thing to the blaster and it won't go anywhere.
I'd still rather stick to speed loaders. There's a lot to be said for knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that your blaster is definitely going to fire when you pull the trigger.

And Just so I'm staying on topic here: If you want a primary that is a springer, isn't a homemade, and fires 100'+, I'd suggest a pump action shotgun. They can hit 100' with a stock spring under ideal conditions, although it may be out of your price range ($30 give or take).
Sex Dwarves: Drug test? What kinds of drugs are we testing?

#25 Darksircam

Darksircam

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:49 AM

The SNAPs are nice because they are very inexpensive - $15 if you go to your local hardware store, less if you get precisely cut lengths of PVC and CPVC. And they have a trigger.
You could also just stick the Ja-bow system on the SNAP blaster body kind of like so: http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=19973

Granted, the SNAP system is a bit more complicated, but rork's writeup is long because it's detailed. You really don't have to get creative unless you can't find the supplies you're looking for at the hardware store. Just assemble each part separately. Super fun, simple to mass-produce, the only problems are glue dry time and figuring out how the system works in the first place.

I've found that slinging the RSCB underneath the blaster works way better than putting it on top. On top, darts occasionally get caught in the PVC tee because of gravity.
Travel Cost to TRU = $2. Eliminator pack = $15. Momentum testing = 2 lost darts. Outranging Recons with your mini pistol = priceless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users