Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

Posted Image

Start with your stock NF.

Posted Image

Open it up.

Posted Image

Take out these pieces, you won't need them

Posted Image

These are the only two pieces you will be needing for the mod.

Posted Image

Cut a CPVC coupler about in half. Sand it down until the dividing wall is flush with the base, make sure it is as flat as possible. Cut out the tab parts in the bigger circle and sand down the connections so the whole ring is smooth on the inside. Take the circle part with the peg and make sure it is big enough to fit the end of the CPVC coupler through when you place the bigger circle part over the coupler. This piece is what lines up the assembly with the plunger tube and gives more support for the super glue.

Posted Image

Put it all together and glue it with super glue or whatever you want to use. Put in a long CPVC barrel and try your best to make the coupler be as straight as possible, it won't be hard if you sanded it flat well.

Posted Image

Super glue a ring of foam around the edges for padding, or you can just stick foam on the plunger head. Then, glue the assembly in the plunger tube.

Posted Image

Go around all the seams of the whole thing with whatever you want to seal all leaks. I used hotglue.

Posted Image

Bam, you're done. I added a O-ring I got in a pack at a dollar store to bump up the stock one and lubed it with silicone grease. Seals good, not fantastic though. Ranges I'm guessing 40 feet flat minimum.

Additional mods done to the minimized one that are not in the write-up:
  • Minimization, obviously.
  • [k26] spring replacement, first gen's can handle it due to having beefier internals.
  • Danco #14 O-Ring added to the stock O-ring.
You can hit 70's when you up the spring and seal.

Benefits of this mod:
  • No need to cut the shell to make room for a coupler!
  • Practically 0 deadspace.
All credit goes to Tantumbull for this mod. The mod was quick and easy, taking about 20 minutes.

Edited by Blue, 05 January 2011 - 11:12 PM.

#2 ChaosRaisin

ChaosRaisin

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

Nice. Quick, clean, and easy. I've done this a few times through intuition, seeing as it's pretty simple. I wish there were more 1st gen NF's around, i love those things.

Edited by ChaosRaisin, 05 January 2011 - 10:32 PM.

Zorn- "Or, if you play the socal/"real" way, you have some pokeballs, some energy cards, and two dudes in caps who yell at each other."

#3 Green Wing

Green Wing

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:33 PM

Nice writeup. This is also how I have been Cpvc couplering my NFs.

#4 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

Wow, really? How have I not seen this way before? I was cpvc couplering nfs with a full CPVC coupler like in my extended draw nf write-up before jakejagan had the idea to use CPVC end caps with holes drilled into them, but they didn't hold well since they weren't flat so I tried cutting the couplers in half.

#5 WicketTheModder619

WicketTheModder619

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

Clean and to the point, good job Blue. I have a 1st Gen that I couplered the same way. I even minimized it in the same fashion.
23:06 Buffdaddy: As long as they aren't doing it all night, don't care.

#6 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:48 PM

Ah,Tantumbull is the one who did this mod originally. I got distracted by the black tactical stuff he did later on in the write-up the first time I read it I guess. Sorry about this, hopefully at least some people who didn't know about this great mod know now. This is pretty much the best way to do a NF if you are using CPVC and keeping the stock plunger tube. Tantumbull's Original Mod

#7 ugh112

ugh112

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:52 PM

Its been done multiple times. Heres one me and a friend did. We didn't 1/2 Coupler it, but it was suggested in the comments. That is how we now do it.

http://canadiannerfe...p?showtopic=421

Otherwise its great, I like it! I really need to get some first gens they look great!

Good Job.

Zango/Ugh

EDIT: imaseoulman ALSO did it. http://nerfhaven.com...topic=14242&hl=

EDIT 2: This guy too: http://nerfhaven.com...topic=13270&hl=

Edited by ugh112, 05 January 2011 - 10:56 PM.

QUOTE(Floppyjack @ Dec 1 2010, 06:57 PM) View Post

Too small? Mine are always too big, only one is the perfect size. Sorry, no pics, I'm in bed with my iPod.

QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 15 2010, 12:59 PM) View Post

I'd like to bid $15 for your dick.

#8 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:10 PM

Its been done multiple times. Heres one me and a friend did. We didn't 1/2 Coupler it, but it was suggested in the comments. That is how we now do it.

http://canadiannerfe...p?showtopic=421

Otherwise its great, I like it! I really need to get some first gens they look great!

Good Job.

Zango/Ugh

EDIT: imaseoulman ALSO did it. http://nerfhaven.com...topic=14242&hl=

EDIT 2: This guy too: http://nerfhaven.com...topic=13270&hl=

Imaseoulman didn't post a write-up, just pics so that's probably why it was not in the directory. The one Jwasko did was very similar to tantumbull's but it looks like he doesn't have the end part of the coupler, the part that stops the barrel... his seems overly complicated. Your mod is a good example, you didn't know this way until after you did it a different way and people told you about it. Anyways, I guess I proved you can do this mod with the fatter Genova couplers... but that's about it. Also, another thing to note is that the stock catch spring does not need replacing, it handles a [k26] fine.

#9 ugh112

ugh112

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:19 AM

Also, another thing to note is that the stock catch spring does not need replacing, it handles a [k26] fine.

Bull Shit. Maybe the first gen NightFinders but definitely not the newer models.
QUOTE(Floppyjack @ Dec 1 2010, 06:57 PM) View Post

Too small? Mine are always too big, only one is the perfect size. Sorry, no pics, I'm in bed with my iPod.

QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 15 2010, 12:59 PM) View Post

I'd like to bid $15 for your dick.

#10 jakejagan

jakejagan

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:20 AM

Wow, really? How have I not seen this way before? I was cpvc couplering nfs with a full CPVC coupler like in my extended draw nf write-up before jakejagan had the idea to use CPVC end caps with holes drilled into them, but they didn't hold well since they weren't flat so I tried cutting the couplers in half.

I got the idea from Popatachi, who posted in the Mod/PJ thread a while back, so credit goes to him for POSTING it, although it wasn't on a nite-finder, but a splat. You do however have to sand a little bit of the bottom lip of the end so that the gun can close, but then again you can just sand the endcap slightly to fit

Another good thing is to do this:

Posted Image

Tantum did cut a washer to fit, but the washer piece that is on the bottom (where the battery covers screws on) fits perfectly in that space. It gives those areas reinforcement so they wont crack which has happened--to me atleast--before. This was before jb-weld was added bw . The 1st gen also has the fin on the top to stop the Plunger tube from moving around as well.

I add to Blue's comment that no catch reinforcement is needed. I have a everbuilt with a good amount of pre-compression (and before a [k26]) and I was able to throw the blaster on the ground while primed and nothing would go off.
00:38 jakejagan I hear you guys still bring up the "gangsta shot"
00:38 Bags it is legend now

17:45 *** MrPzowned was kicked by Zorn (MrPzowned)
17:45 Zorn moral of the story: don't pick on idle mods yo

#11 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:30 AM

Also, another thing to note is that the stock catch spring does not need replacing, it handles a [k26] fine.

Bull Shit. Maybe the first gen NightFinders but definitely not the newer models.

I'm not sure if you missed the whole write-up or what, but I'm obviously working with a first gen. here.

#12 utahnerf

utahnerf

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

I've sawed couplers in half before, but I've never nested them. To me, this write up is perfect, best nitefinder write up by far

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users