Photo

Quick Question About Leds...

7 replies to this topic

#1 Chewbacca

Chewbacca

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:11 AM

Hey, long time since I've been active here. Must have been at least 2 years. Anyways, after a long break, I'm getting back into modding Nerf guns, and I have a quick question for those of you who are more experienced than I am in electronics. I want to mod and paint a Stampede, but in addition to that, I want to hook it up with some LEDs. I'm not very experienced in this, but I know I'm capable of setting up the LEDs on a separate battery. However, I'm wondering if it would be possible for me to have them get energy from the same batteries that power the motor? This would make changing batteries much easier for when they ran out, etc.

My only worries are that I'm unsure of if the LEDs can be powered by D batteries without blowing up or anything, and also how I'll wire that without screwing up the wiring for the motor.

Thoughts?

-Chewy.

#2 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:18 AM

You'd need to get an appropriate resistor to avoid frying your LED. Usually that info comes with the LED when you purchase it.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#3 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:48 AM

D batteries run at 1.5 volts just like AAs as I recall. Therefore, find LEDs that are rated above the voltage your stampede uses, and hook them up.
QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

#4 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:24 AM

Resistor Calculator.

This is what I use.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#5 Zack the Mack

Zack the Mack

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:48 AM

The key here is to wire the resistor-LED circuit in parallel with the motor at the switch, or the LED will only illuminate when the blaster is being fired.
Ask me questions about electronics, Arduino, and 3D printing

#6 ghost recon

ghost recon

• Banned
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:04 AM

Hey, long time since I've been active here. Must have been at least 2 years. Anyways, after a long break, I'm getting back into modding Nerf guns, and I have a quick question for those of you who are more experienced than I am in electronics. I want to mod and paint a Stampede, but in addition to that, I want to hook it up with some LEDs. I'm not very experienced in this, but I know I'm capable of setting up the LEDs on a separate battery. However, I'm wondering if it would be possible for me to have them get energy from the same batteries that power the motor? This would make changing batteries much easier for when they ran out, etc.

My only worries are that I'm unsure of if the LEDs can be powered by D batteries without blowing up or anything, and also how I'll wire that without screwing up the wiring for the motor.

Thoughts?

-Chewy.

just one problem with your idea the motor would be much slower but you can replace the motor with a better one or find a really strong battery
--------------------

"This thread must be either pregnant or just not that time of the month cause I don't see a period anywhere."

#7 Chewbacca

Chewbacca

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:30 PM

Thanks for all the helpful replies, guys. I figured I'd have to run it parallel with the motor. I'm in the process of getting my hands on a stampede, and I can't wait to to get this project going!

Chewy.

#8 Zack the Mack

Zack the Mack

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for all the helpful replies, guys. I figured I'd have to run it parallel with the motor. I'm in the process of getting my hands on a stampede, and I can't wait to to get this project going!

Chewy.

I'm waiting on it. I'm hashing out a mysterious project with electronics that are sensitive to fluctuations in voltage and current, and I'm still not 100% sure on the Stampede's characteristics.
Ask me questions about electronics, Arduino, and 3D printing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users