6 replies to this topic

#1 The lord of fish

The lord of fish

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:58 PM

Materials needed:
A precise caliper
A high torque airsoft motor ( I salvaged mine off my broken CA M4, but you can buy good motors for cheap on airsoft websites like Evike)
A way to power the motor
soldering iron/wand
a vice
file.

Opening up the gun and head to the motor, unscrew it from its brace and de-solder the connection points. then using a small flat head screw driver, pry the stock gear off the motor shaft. Save this. If your airsoft motor's shaft does not fit the gear, thats fine, attach the airsoft motor to power and put it in a vice, apply gentle pressure to the motor shaft with a file. cut the airsoft motor's shaft to the same length as the stock motor. Check periodically to ensure that you don't file too much. My airsoft motor had a shaft 8/64ths wide, I filed it down to about 6.5/64ths and used the vice to force the shaft into the gear. From there on its simple, solder the guns wires to the motor and slap it in, the stock rubber that holds the stock motor in place makes the airsoft motor have a very tight friction fit, however A brace should be made. You should now be able to increase the load of the voltage and spring, but not too much or else you will melt/crack the plastic gears.

I understand this isn't really much of a writeup, but I have a few pictures to show. This is such a simple modification that I doubt it really needs pictures.
Posted Image
Stampede with new motor

The stock motor is strong, but not strong enough for my needs, I went to radio shack and bought a motor with close dimensions but with more RPM. The radio shack motor did have more rpm, but did not have sufficient torque to even pull the stock spring back. Do not buy the radio shack one for this.
Posted Image

Internals with the new motor.
Posted Image

Metal gears would be ideal, but that would turn this 45$ plastic toy into a something much more expensive since custom machined gears are expensive. I slapped a cut down [k26] into my stampede (this mod was done 2months ago) and am getting decent ranges, hard to measure since its streamlines. The black primer sucks I know, when it gets paint it will be pretty. I know this isn't much of a writeup, but you should be able to follow along.
Do you think she'll sleep with a panic switch?

#2 Niteshot

Niteshot

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:17 PM

Pretty damn good job. I was thinking of doing this to mine.
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 7 2010, 10:31 AM) View Post

For the love of fuck. The next person who announces that they are using something in their signature, ever, is banned. I fucking hate you.

#3 The lord of fish

The lord of fish

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:48 PM

A new motor will not increase ranges for anyone thinking it will, it just allows a stronger spring to be pulled back.

#4 q4nailgun

q4nailgun

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:45 AM

Very cool! Do you think there are slightly smaller motors that would actually fit inside the stampede? I checked out evike, but they aren't giving any size dimensions to go by.
"Live for what you believe in, Fight for what you believe in, Die for what you beileve in."

#5 phillypretzel

phillypretzel

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:04 AM

A new motor will not increase ranges for anyone thinking it will, it just allows a stronger spring to be pulled back.

And a stronger spring does not increase ranges? Then what's the point?

I really like that you did this- the stampede has more in common with AEG airsoft guns than it does traditional nerf blasters. Some really useful info to have would be the diameter of the stock motor's shaft. You mention using a "precise caliper" in the beginning, were you able to measure it? I would imagine it's metric.

#6 LT DAN ICE CREAM

LT DAN ICE CREAM

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:32 AM

It isn't difficult to convert a metric measurement over to SAE, especially if you're using something like this handy dandy device here! I own one, and it is great.

#7 The lord of fish

The lord of fish

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:42 AM

The motor allows a stronger spring to be pulled back, the spring increases ranges, but the motor itself doesn't.

The stock shaft was 6.5/64th inches or 2.579 millimeters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users