Photo

How To Make Cpvc A Good Barreling Material

4 replies to this topic

#1 SlightlySane813

SlightlySane813

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:49 PM

Most people who have used cpvc as a barreling material have experienced many problems with it.

Like most people I only have acess to cpvc as a barreling material excluding shipping other materials which is a pain to do for me.

Two of the biggest problems are the inconsistency of diameter and the tight dart fit especialy with stock streamlines.

If you haven't experienced the inconsistency of the diameter you can see an example of this in uin13's video here (at 2:50)

The solution to this is to shave out the inside of the barrel using a drill bit.

I personally use a 1/2" 4.75" long masonry bit

Posted Image

the bit is accually made for drilling into brick and stone but the head of the bit is the actualy the true diameter.

Posted Image

By doing this it creates a looser fit for the darts

pics of before and after
Shaved out is on the right and original is on the left.

Posted Image

The advantages of this is consistent diameters, better dart fit, and better ranges.

I now do this with all my cpvc barrels and my reloading time is much faster now that i don't have to twist in my darts.

Also sorry for the bad quality pics.
Also known as the French Canadian eh!

#2 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:52 PM

This also makes the inside of the CPVC rough, harming your foam over time. There are better barrels for stock darts, like 17/32 brass tubing. I suggest using that instead. Much easier to push darts into, too, because it seems to have less friction with the foam.

Edit: 17/32 brass tubing will also always be the same size, no matter where or when you buy it.

Edited by Wes7143, 26 December 2010 - 03:53 PM.

QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#3 SlightlySane813

SlightlySane813

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:06 PM

This also makes the inside of the CPVC rough, harming your foam over time. There are better barrels for stock darts, like 17/32 brass tubing. I suggest using that instead. Much easier to push darts into, too, because it seems to have less friction with the foam.

Edit: 17/32 brass tubing will also always be the same size, no matter where or when you buy it.

Ya that is true but i have found that if you drill evenly at a slower speed then its a lot less rough on the inside
Also known as the French Canadian eh!

#4 thesoxfan1234

thesoxfan1234

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:31 PM

I do the same thing to my CPVC. I was going to post a writeup tomorrow but you beat me. I use a 1/2 spade bit to drill through it, it makes it much more smooth on the inside.
16:57 Snake51886: Demon Lord is the goddamn king of parkour!

-thesoxfan1234

#5 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:48 PM

No one should do this. CPVC is a fine barrel material on its own and this kid doesn't know what he's talking about.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users