Ultimator With K14 Spring And Clear Plunger Tube

For the 20 of you that have an Ultimator

19 replies to this topic

#1 Lucian

Lucian

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:28 PM

Hello again Nerfhaven, today I’ll be showing you how to give your Ultimator a clear plunger tube, minimize the dead-space, and get it to work with a normal compression spring.

Please refer to the write up and the Mcmaster list at the bottom of the page for a materials list.

Step one.
Get your Ultimator
Posted Image
And open it up
Posted Image

Step 2.
Take the barrel and spring
Posted Image
And put them aside

Step 3.
Order a 1’ section of 2.5” ID 2.75” OD Polycarbonate tubing, a pack of K14 springs, and a 2” to 1/2” PVC reducing bushing from Mcmaster
Posted Image

Step 4.
Slap a large metal washer in front of the priming-mech to protect the plastic (Ignore the [k26] spring)
Posted Image

Then go ahead and slide on a cut down K14 spring and bolt the plunger head back on

Step 5. Machining the Plunger tube.
First, cut a slot on the top and bottom of the plunger tube, using the stock one as a guide. I did this using my Band-saw.
Posted Image
The slots were 1.25” wide, on both sides, and went down about 1.75”

Then you will need to line up the plunger tube for the 2 holes on each side that secure the plunger tube to the gun Posted Image
And drill them out with a 3/8” drill bit
Posted Image
I screwed this part up a bit and had to widen the holes.

#2 Lucian

Lucian

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:30 PM

Step 6.
Assemble the gun, tape the bushing, bolt it in, and slap a hopper on it
Posted Image

Alternatively, you can keep the stock spring, and just use the clear plunger tube for a striking visual effect
Posted Image

And for those of you that are curious, this is how the Ultimator catch system works Posted Image

Issues with this mod:
The Ultimator was able to send a Slug dart 115’ in about 8-10 pumps, however I came across the issue of the plunger rod gradually slipping forward. Maybe some fine tuning will correct it, but be aware of this issue if you decide to do the mod.

Mcmaster-Carr #s:
Plunger tube- 8585K341 1 Ft. Polycarbonate Round Tube, 2-3/4" Od, 2-1/2" Id, 1' Length, Clear

Plunger Tube Bushing- 4880K172 1 Each Std-wall (schedule 40) White Pvc Pipe Fitting, 2" X 1/2", Hex Bushing, Pipe End Male X Socket F

K14 Springs- 9637K14 1 Pack Continuous-length Compression Spring, Spring-tempered Stl, 11" L, 1.093" Od, .105" Wire

Feel free to post and questions, comments, and concerns. I hope this write up was worth your time to read.

#3 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:34 PM

That is some great work... Very clean. Now I need to add an ultimator to my buy list.

#4 jaybo1996

jaybo1996

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:38 PM

I must be wrong, but from the looks of the catch mechanism, is the plunger rod held back by just friction? that can't be right.
01:15 N9> The problem with nerfers: We're around plastic. Plastic contains estrogenic compounds, so we're more feminine than the rest of the world.

WTF, are you in Tony Stark's basement!?'

#5 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:27 PM

I must be wrong, but from the looks of the catch mechanism, is the plunger rod held back by just friction? that can't be right.

Haha, it is pretty crazy isn't it?

Snazzy mod Lucian! :D
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#6 MavericK96

MavericK96

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:01 PM

I've got an Ultimator, but no real desire to do this mod, although it is pretty sweet.

Maybe I'll sell it, though the shipping would be murder...

#7 Jtest

Jtest

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

Lucian, correct me if I am wrong, but that catch looks very similar to the mechinism used on smooth rod caulk guns.

#8 knexpert66

knexpert66

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:40 PM

The first time I saw this I thought it was kind of interesting how it uses a pull spring.
Please, call me Busted.

#9 Eh Watt

Eh Watt

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:44 PM

Oh, man. I really want one of these now...

Seriously, superb job on this. I saw this in the Mods/Paint directory, and I really wanted to see the write up, and now it's here! And I'm pleasantly surprised at how simple it is! I'd say the best part about this is the fact that it's so big. I have a very strong attraction to oversize blasters....

One question though, do you think the catch needs to be reinforced at all? I don't know much about friction catches, but that K14 is BEEFY!

Anyway, fantastic job, I hope you get great use out of this! :D
John Hancock

#10 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:57 PM

I love my Ultimator, It's the only nerf gun i've seen with a notable recoil. I almost got a shiner from the priming handle after shooting it the first time on christmas morning. Though, it is too inaccurate to use as a missle launcher, and i've been to scared to screw up an irreplacable relic by doing anything but barrel attachments. I think i would miss the "Hummmmmm" the stock tenson spring makes after discharging.

I'm quite surprised you only get 115' (though it's still plenty of range) out of this mod. The Ultimator has a shockingly huge air cylinder. I don't know how you might test it, but how does the strength of the [k26] springs matchup to the stock spring? How does it do with fewer pumps? I'm left wondering if it's still discharging air long after the dart has left the barrel.

I once had a problem with my priming bar slipping too. I opened it up, wiped any lubricant off of the rod, and fidgited with the spring on the trigger some. (it had slipped) It stopped after that.

I am a big fan of the clear tube. That looks absolutely awsome!
"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#11 Chadpuff

Chadpuff

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

Nicely done. Funny everyone should mention the caulking gun thing cause I'm in the middle of designing a gun that uses a caulking gun in the same way the ultimator works.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." ...Han Solo

#12 phillypretzel

phillypretzel

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

Very well done, now this a blaster with style. Out of curiosity, what is the approximate air volume of the plunger tube?

Edit: In the step one pic, "open it up" I can see approximately 8 different colors/textures of carpet in an area roughly 6' x 4'. I just wanted to point that out.

Edited by phillypretzel, 06 December 2010 - 10:52 PM.

#13 Lucian

Lucian

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

Nothing but friction, surprisingly.

Lucian, correct me if I am wrong, but that catch looks very similar to the mechanism used on smooth rod caulk guns.

Judging by Bob's post, and our discussions in #nerfchat.it seems to be the same system

One question though, do you think the catch needs to be reinforced at all? I don't know much about friction catches, but that K14 is BEEFY!

Not at all, it is made out of metal after all.

I'm quite surprised you only get 115' (though it's still plenty of range) out of this mod. The Ultimator has a shockingly huge air cylinder. I don't know how you might test it, but how does the strength of the [k26] springs matchup to the stock spring? How does it do with fewer pumps? I'm left wondering if it's still discharging air long after the dart has left the barrel.

I'll get back to you once I test it with a longer barrel.

Very well done, now this a blaster with style. Out of curiosity, what is the approximate air volume of the plunger tube?
Edit: In the step one pic, "open it up" I can see approximately 8 different colors/textures of carpet in an area roughly 6' x 4'. I just wanted to point that out.

With the plunger head 10 inches from the front, the volume is 49.08"^3

Contact me for design consultation relating to 3D Printing, CNC Machining, and Laser Cutting. I am always happy to collaborate on viable Open Source projects and/or business ventures. 

#14 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:58 PM

You took away the coolest aspect of the gun. It shoots rockets from over the shoulder.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#15 shardbearer

shardbearer

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:14 PM

I like really like this mod, nice job. A stronger catch spring could solve the plunger slipping forward, and a longer barrel would definitely improve ranges. With this much air volume I am thinking maybe 2'.

I have found this beast of a spring, a tad more powerful than the K14, and half the price for 36" long. It is untested.

Edited by shardbearer, 07 December 2010 - 07:19 PM.

#16 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:09 PM

You took away the coolest aspect of the gun. It shoots rockets from over the shoulder.

Posted Image

It can still shoot missiles I believe, he can take out the coupler and put that attachment in. Whether he has missiles is the question, they are pretty rare.

#17 phillypretzel

phillypretzel

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:04 PM

With the plunger head 10 inches from the front, the volume is 49.08"^3

Good lord. What length barrel are you using? Since you are moving a huge volume of air relatively slowly, I have a feeling that tuning the barrel length is the key to unlocking this monster's range potential. (not that it matters, as is this a novelty thing anyway) And just for the benefit of those that have never seen/fired one of these: how exactly does one prime an ultimator?

#18 MavericK96

MavericK96

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:51 PM

And just for the benefit of those that have never seen/fired one of these: how exactly does one prime an ultimator?

You "pump" the priming handle (i.e. lift it upward) about 20 times (however many times it takes for it to stop being prime-able). It's not an air pump, though, it just gradually draws back the plunger with each "pump".

#19 Lucian

Lucian

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:54 PM

I'll put a video up of shooting and priming this beast as soon as my neighbor stops playing Online Poker; so my internet doesn't die every time I try to upload it...

And yes, Blue and Ted, it still shoots the original rocket, which I still have.

And I will try a new longer barrel, once I take off the extension spring.

Edited by Lucian, 08 December 2010 - 06:24 AM.

Contact me for design consultation relating to 3D Printing, CNC Machining, and Laser Cutting. I am always happy to collaborate on viable Open Source projects and/or business ventures. 

#20 HasreadCoC

HasreadCoC

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

Would you ever consider selling these plunger tubes/springs pre-cut/couplered as a sort of conversion kit? If so how much? If I ever get my hands on an Ultimator I would sure be interested in buying.

I'm the only respectable person here. The rest of the NIC are pretty much just child molesters.

AKA: ObiWonTwo on Nerfrevolution, and most of the rest of the internet for that matter.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users