Building A Custom Pc

26 replies to this topic

#26 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:10 AM

Well, if the main point of the computer is going to be for gaming, I definately suggest going with any 64 bit Athlon . But really, it all depends on what your price range is. And for the video card, you should stick with the Radeon 9800 because those are probably the best on the market. And definatley, a clear case with neon lights inside, and a chameleon fan.

Actually, I wouldn't really suggest a 64 bit chip, at all, seeing as how very little software exists that would really take advantage of it. Hell, there's still no commercial 64 bit version of Windows, is there?

DEATH

Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without.  --Hávamál 38

#27 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:21 AM

Actually, I wouldn't really suggest a 64 bit chip, at all, seeing as how very little software exists that would really take advantage of it. Hell, there's still no commercial 64 bit version of Windows, is there?

That's how I figured back when I built my pc. I got a 1.4 ghz athlon with a Geforce 2 video card. I thought, that since nothing took advantage of the faster stuff, I didn't need them.

Now we have so many applications and games that need at least a Geforce FX, so I had to upgrade no later than a year after my build.

My recommendation to Superintendent: If you have the cash, buy the best out there. You won't have to upgrade for a long time.

~Vintage

By the way, I am pretty sure that Windows Longhorn will take advantage of the 64 bit technology.

Edit: I actually think the Athlon XP 2600+ is a fine choice. I prefer Athlon's to P4's for their overclocking and price. You just need a good cooling system.

Edited by Vintage, 27 April 2004 - 10:28 AM.

You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users