Photo

Gyrostabilization Module

An utterly pointless, but still useful little project...

36 replies to this topic

#1 Unit ZER0

Unit ZER0

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:37 AM

A while back I got to thinking about how it would be so much easier to fire my blaster when running if I had a more stable platform from which to fire... The result can be seen below. The G.S.S. MkI (Gyro Stabilization System Mark One) It has a dual switch system, and is lined with foam to help keep the noise down. I have also included a schematic of the basic power-train, and systems. The Green represents the switch, the red and blue the wires. The entire assembly is powered by one nine-volt battery. The motors and flywheels, indicated in teal, are arranged back-to-back, and are wired so that when viewed along the long axis, both flywheels spin in the same direction. During tests, it did in fact impart a stabilizing effect to the blaster. Ideally, this device would be best suited for use when firing from either a vehicle, or when moving at extreme speed. the MKII will have more powerful motors, and larger, possibly spherical flywheels. The gyro effect is most noticeable with smaller blasters, less so with larger ones.

Photos Below:

Internals:
Posted Image

Top:
Posted Image

Right:
Posted Image

Left:
Posted Image

3Quarter:
Posted Image

Internals:

Front:
Posted Image

Side:
Posted Image

Top:
Posted Image

Full view, Note the foam used to help transfer the gyro effect, and keep the noise down:
Posted Image

I used the casing for one of the scopes you get with a longshot, but any scope will do, the advantage is that when you use a scope, you retain the clips, and the device can be attached to the tactical rails on any N-Strike blaster.

Edited by Unit ZER0, 29 November 2010 - 02:12 PM.

There is no such thing as overkill... There is only OPEN FIRE, and RELOAD.

#2 Specops

Specops

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:55 AM

Sorry if this is a stupid question but, what the heck does this do?
Call Me Nerf Spec Ops

#3 Y-Brik

Y-Brik

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:57 AM

Have you ever held a gyroscope? They have this funny property of not wanting to be moved, so they cut down on the movement the gun goes through, theoretically making it more stable and accurate. Megaprops for building this Mega, but I get the feeling this is a high-work low-payoff sorta build.
EDIT: @Nerfer91's sig- It's the SEARS Tower dammit, the SEARS tower!

Edited by Y-Brik, 30 November 2010 - 01:18 AM.

As I said I have not not alot of testes yet but I will be once I finish the mod.

Why I am boycotting Hasbro

#4 Nerfer 91

Nerfer 91

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:12 AM

Very nice

Does it still attach to the gun via tactical rail
"85% of teens would cry if they saw Justin Beiber standing on top of the Willis Tower, about to jump. If you're one of the 15%% who would sit there eating pop corn and laughing while screaming "Jump or ill come push you off faggot" Post this as your signature."

#5 Niteshot

Niteshot

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:08 AM

Very nice

Does it still attach to the gun via tactical rail

and the device can be attached to the tactical rails on any N-Strike blaster.

Hmm....
A little reading goes a long way.
As for the Gyrostabiliser, I love it! Looks like it was a pain to build.

Edited by Niteshot, 27 November 2010 - 10:09 AM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 7 2010, 10:31 AM) View Post

For the love of fuck. The next person who announces that they are using something in their signature, ever, is banned. I fucking hate you.

#6 Unit ZER0

Unit ZER0

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:15 AM

Have you ever held a gyroscope? They have this funny property of not wanting to be moved, so they cut down on the movement the gun goes through, theoretically making it more stable and accurate. Megaprops for building this Mega, but I get the feeling this is a high-work low-payoff sorta build.

Thanks for the props, and you're absolutely right, this is a high work-low payoff build. It's more of a proof-of-concept build, proving that a nerf blaster can in fact be stabilized by a gyro system. The next step is using faster motors, and heavier, possibly spherical flywheels to see if the effect can be magnified to a degree where the gun is locked in place, or at least much more stable than it is now.

Edited by Unit ZER0, 27 November 2010 - 10:18 AM.

#7 One long shot

One long shot

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:19 AM

It looks like replacing the battery is going to be a pain once it dies. Also, what n-strike attachment is that made out of?
Weirdness is a relative concept; If I'm weird to you, then what do I think is weird? If I'm it for you, what's it for me?

#8 Restricted

Restricted

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:31 AM

Also, what n-strike attachment is that made out of?

He stated already that it was made out of the scope you receive with the longshot. This is exactly what Niteshot was talking about: "A little reading goes along way"

#9 One long shot

One long shot

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:22 AM

Sorry...I guess a lot of us must have overlooked those last two lines below the bottom picture. oopsies.
Weirdness is a relative concept; If I'm weird to you, then what do I think is weird? If I'm it for you, what's it for me?

#10 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:35 PM

I don't know much about gyroscopes, so forgive me if I'm totally wrong, but wouldn't the effect change based on where the gyroscope was attached to the blaster? Like if you moved it to the end of the barrel instead of where the rail is does it become more stable? Or less stable?

This thing is pretty cool, I'd love to see somebody use it to make accurate shots from a bike or something.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#11 Abyss Mods

Abyss Mods

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:24 PM

If Mk.II is more successful, would you be contracting these? This is a very cool concept that I would love to see in action.

#12 Unit ZER0

Unit ZER0

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:10 PM

It looks like replacing the battery is going to be a pain once it dies. Also, what n-strike attachment is that made out of?

Actually, not really, the endcap on the long end is just pressed in, it comes right out, but stays locked in, because it has a grooved flange that fits inside the main body of the Gyro.

#13 One long shot

One long shot

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to seeing how your second version turns out.

#14 phillypretzel

phillypretzel

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:27 PM

Interesting concept, though I expect the result would be the opposite of what you were going for: the rotational mass would make the blaster slower to aim (since it will resist quick direction changes), for example when snap shooting multiple targets with a semi auto. And I sincerely doubt it adds any type of stability to a bouncing/bobbing/weaving person on the move. I can back up this statement by demonstrating that no actual firearms use such a device, and surely a more stable firing platform (if it worked) would be in use by the military.

#15 arfink

arfink

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:30 PM

Gyro stabilization is something more commonly used on tanks IIRC. Still, an interesting use of an otherwise uninteresting attachment. I have one question though- wouldn't the stabilizer be more effective if the two flywheels spin in opposite directions? If it was strong enough and they both spun the same way then if you turned on way it would pull your aim up, while if you turned the other way it would pull your aim slightly down. While if they spin opposite ways you'd maybe get less up/down disruption from the gyro's bias? I don't know, but regardless, this is fairly clever.

EDIT: Something else which comes to mind as a possible usefulness of this- a weak stabiliser would not so much pull your gun around as it would give you very positive feedback when you do move your gun. IE, you'd be able to instantly feel if you aim is wavering while moving, etc.

Edited by arfink, 27 November 2010 - 11:33 PM.

A2GS + 4 meg RAM + 128 meg CF + 9600 Baud Lantronix = WIN

#16 Unit ZER0

Unit ZER0

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:42 PM

Interesting concept, though I expect the result would be the opposite of what you were going for: the rotational mass would make the blaster slower to aim (since it will resist quick direction changes), for example when snap shooting multiple targets with a semi auto. And I sincerely doubt it adds any type of stability to a bouncing/bobbing/weaving person on the move. I can back up this statement by demonstrating that no actual firearms use such a device, and surely a more stable firing platform (if it worked) would be in use by the military.

That may be the case... But it still works. I have tested it extensively, and, so far as using it on a smaller blaster for snap shooting goes, you're right. But, it's not really intended for that. The gyro is intended for attachment to a long rifle type blaster, like my "Shattershot" or a similar layout of very powerful springs, very long barrel, and high accuracy. It would be used for shooting from a moving vehicle, or for scoped-in shots while walking towards or away from a target at long to very long range. If you take a look at the Shattershot, you will notice an additional tactical rail has been added to the lower surface of the forward body of the blaster, on the blue part. That is the ideal position for the gyro, or some place close to it. Certain models of Nerf blasters have a rail in this position already, or pretty close. That is where the gyro can do the most good. The intent is to make the blaster as stable for sharpshooting when moving, as when you are standing still.

Edited by Unit ZER0, 27 November 2010 - 11:43 PM.

#17 phillypretzel

phillypretzel

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:53 AM

What actually made me even read this post was the title. As someone that has been building/flying rc helicopters for years, I am aware that compact digital gyroscopes have become very inexpensive (even the 3 axis ones). What would be incredibly friggin cool would be to actually use them to stabilize the firing platform. The whole idea is that they are capable of making tiny adjustments to either x,y, or z axis hundreads of times a second, ie much much faster than a person is capable. Using this technology, it would theoretically be possible to construct a firing platform that could keep the barrel pointed on target irregardless of the direction or movements of the nerfer holding said platform (much like watching the turret of an M1A1 stay pointed at its target while the hull of the tank transverses uneven ground, changes heading, etc). I believe my idea is vastly superior, and would appreciate you getting to work on it right away :blink:

Edit: I'm sorry, did you just say

It would be used for shooting from a moving vehicle, or for scoped-in shots while walking towards or away from a target at long to very long range.

Where the fuck do you nerf? From moving vehicles and such I mean, and who does these vehicular wars with you? Do you host Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome scenario games? I want to play.

Edited by phillypretzel, 28 November 2010 - 01:17 AM.

#18 Unit ZER0

Unit ZER0

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:27 AM

What actually made me even read this post was the title. As someone that has been building/flying rc helicopters for years, I am aware that compact digital gyroscopes have become very inexpensive (even the 3 axis ones). What would be incredibly friggin cool would be to actually use them to stabilize the firing platform. The whole idea is that they are capable of making tiny adjustments to either x,y, or z axis hundreads of times a second, ie much much faster than a person is capable. Using this technology, it would theoretically be possible to construct a firing platform that could keep the barrel pointed on target irregardless of the direction or movements of the nerfer holding said platform (much like watching the turret of an M1A1 stay pointed at its target while the hull of the tank transverses uneven ground, changes heading, etc). I believe my idea is vastly superior, and would appreciate you getting to work on it right away :blink:

Edit: I'm sorry, did you just say

It would be used for shooting from a moving vehicle, or for scoped-in shots while walking towards or away from a target at long to very long range.

Where the fuck do you nerf? From moving vehicles and such I mean, and who does these vehicular wars with you? Do you host Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome scenario games? I want to play.

Well, the "From a Vehicle" part is a little over the top, but the idea is still sound... I think. (Perhaps from the back of an ATV or pickup truck Halo Style...) Regarding your "Total Stabilizer" idea, it could work... In fact, I had been toying with a 4-motor design, with either the motors arranged in an "X" configuration near the blaster's center of mass, with the barrel in the exact center, or a design with six motors arranged in a "cube" type configuration. The only major drawbacks I can think of at this point would be the ridiculous amount of power such a system would require, and how you would actually wear it... You would need to wear something like a steadicam rig, to achieve true stability. And that's without worrying about the occasional errant crosswind.

Edited by Unit ZER0, 28 November 2010 - 01:29 AM.

#19 phillypretzel

phillypretzel

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:46 AM

Well, the "From a Vehicle" part is a little over the top, but the idea is still sound... I think. (Perhaps from the back of an ATV or pickup truck Halo Style...) Regarding your "Total Stabilizer" idea, it could work... In fact, I had been toying with a 4-motor design, with either the motors arranged in an "X" configuration near the blaster's center of mass, with the barrel in the exact center, or a design with six motors arranged in a "cube" type configuration. The only major drawbacks I can think of at this point would be the ridiculous amount of power such a system would require, and how you would actually wear it... You would need to wear something like a steadicam rig, to achieve true stability. And that's without worrying about the occasional errant crosswind.

Not just motors, servos, and only two would be required for complete 3 axis control (3 If you wanted a true "Target and Forget" setup that could rotate the barrel 180 degrees from your own heading). Incidentally, micro servos are not only cheap, they consume very little power. It is possible (to someone with even just a basic knowledge of r/c stuff). Not likely, but possible.

#20 KatanasPWN

KatanasPWN

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:48 AM

As someone once said " something thats worth doing is worth over doing" So if you happen to find a big ass gyroscope......
Welcome to hell, I'll be your waiter this evening.

#21 Unit ZER0

Unit ZER0

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:14 AM

Not just motors, servos, and only two would be required for complete 3 axis control (3 If you wanted a true "Target and Forget" setup that could rotate the barrel 180 degrees from your own heading). Incidentally, micro servos are not only cheap, they consume very little power. It is possible (to someone with even just a basic knowledge of r/c stuff). Not likely, but possible.

I think we're getting well into "Armored Mobile Suit" territory here... Add a motion sensor, laser rangefinder, and auto-trigger, and you have the makings of a War Machine-esque secondary turret you could mount to your back...

EDIT: I just had a mental image of Dual-Wielding Barricades, and having one of those things strapped to my back... Variable threat response anyone?

Edited by Unit ZER0, 28 November 2010 - 02:18 AM.

#22 Chaos-blades

Chaos-blades

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:31 PM

So it's a suppository??

On topic: Definitely agree on the high-effort low-gain result but it's a good little idea.
- "I'll have a Farmer's Union Iced Coffee thanks"
- "sorry we don't have Farmer's Union, we've got Oak if you like"
- "Looks like it'll be nothing for me then"

#23 wardrive

wardrive

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:03 PM

This would be useful from a shoulder-mount, at least it looks like it might. Good work!
It's not called incompetence, We call it Leadership.

#24 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:11 PM

You think we could get a shot of the actual internals, and not just a diagram?

#25 Unit ZER0

Unit ZER0

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:14 PM

You think we could get a shot of the actual internals, and not just a diagram?

Done, see the first post. Keep in mind, I went for a few visual effects as well, so my internal wiring is a little more complicated than the diagram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users