Battlem.a.x. Sceptor V1.0

RSCB'd

14 replies to this topic

#1 Drax

Drax

• Banned
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:10 PM

So I've seen a few writeups on the Sceptor, but all of them removed the possibility of shooting balls, so I RSCB'd mine.

So you've visited Tuesday Morning looking for this gun. They run a SKU search and find that there is only one in stock within a 50 mile radius. You rush there and pick up this beast of a blaster. When you get home, you marvel at it's 60 foot ranges, and semi-automatic feature. But you think to yourself "This would be even more awesome if I could use my stefans (or stock darts if you're like me) in this!" Well here's how you do just that.

(these first few steps are optional, as they're about how to plug the pump)
Take your Sceptor (this is the finished product)
Posted Image
And open it up.
Posted Image
Sorry I don't have a picture for this, but remove everything that's clear.

See these screws? Remove them and the two on the front. (Shitty pic, I know. Stupid macro wasn't working right)
Posted Image
Sorry I don't have a picture for this either, but take your pump head, and fill it with hot glue (same as plugging any other pump).

And put everything back together.

Now on to making it shoot darts!
Take your ball barrel
Posted Image
Pry this orange piece off, then use hot glue/epoxy/whatever you use to attach stuff to other stuff, and attach your 1/2" PVC coupler onto the end of the barrel.
Posted Image
Take your 1/2" CPVC Street elbow and Tee and attach them to the PVC coupler like so.
Posted Image
Take a 1/2" PVC endcap, sand it down, and stuff it in the ball barrel. This serves to kill the deadspace that the ball's inline clip would produce.
Posted Image
Dremel out the stock sights, and hack the rear sights off as well.
Posted Image
Cut this little slot out of the plastic by the tank. This lets the copper fit through. This might be better off done if you take the shell off, depending on your skills with a dremel.
Posted Image
Fashion yourself an endcap out of a length of PVC and a PVC endcap. It should look like this.
Posted Image

Put your clip and barrel on, and you're done!
Posted Image

Questions/Comments/Flames?

Explosives aren't really my style. I prefer thermite.

Also known as One Winged Angel

#2 Hipponater

Hipponater

• Members
  • 297 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:40 PM

Interesting. How many pumps does it take, and how many shots can you get off with, and with what ranges?

Cool blaster, I might have to look into one, even though I hate to pump.

#3 Drax

Drax

• Banned
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:01 AM

If you hate to pump, this gun is not your friend. You pressurize it 60 to 80 pumps, then add 10 or so pumps every 3 or 4 shots. If you don't top off, you'll drain the tank in 8-10 shots, but hey, it's 8-10 shots of semi-auto goodness. The RSCB is a 2' piece of copper, so it should hold a ton of ammo (16 in my case), but by the last shot it has a ton of deadspace. Interestingly enough, it'll fire all but the last shot in the clip pretty consistently despite the ever increasing amount of deadspace. The first shot will go around 100 or 110, and the last is around 90 or so (since I keep filling the tank every few shots). The barrel I used was 12" of CPVC.

With that said, there's some amazing potential for a tank expansion. The fake hopper is actually the air reservoir for the gun. All you need is a length of the right hose (I believe it's 1/2" ID) and you can scale the tank to any size you want. It wouldn't be too difficult to add a portable compressor either.

#4 Niteshot

Niteshot

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:14 AM

With that said, there's some amazing potential for a tank expansion. The fake hopper is actually the air reservoir for the gun. All you need is a length of the right hose (I believe it's 1/2" ID) and you can scale the tank to any size you want. It wouldn't be too difficult to add a portable compressor either.

I think I smell an overhaul coming up. On a related note, what darts do you use? I don't think I read that.
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 7 2010, 10:31 AM) View Post

For the love of fuck. The next person who announces that they are using something in their signature, ever, is banned. I fucking hate you.

#5 Boot

Boot

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:56 PM

You pressurize it 60 to 80 pumps, then add 10 or so pumps every 3 or 4 shots.

A tank expansion would be good, but I think a replacement would be better. Although I have never seen one of these in person I have been working on a semi-automatic setup for the new "Mirage" (as those of you following my posts would know). I started out using a solid tank as it was cheaper, but soon found that a bladder is the way to go for Semi or fully automatic blasters.

I think replacing this with a MS, or even an RF20 bladder (if you want more shots) would make it a much more viable blaster. Judging from the tank size, fully priming a stock RF20 bladder with around 30 pumps would probably allow for at least 15 equally powered shots.

Also, with my experimentation with bladders I have found that they actually hold significantly more air than I had imagined. This is because the original fully automatic oscillating valves used in MS's and RF20's are incredibly inefficient. I found that an MS bladder could actually fill a Big Salvo tank (which hold massive amounts of volume, I would guess about double that of a 2k tank) upwards of 8 or 9 times when fully primed.

Good luck with this build. This blaster seems to have quite a bit of potential.

Edited by Boot, 27 November 2010 - 06:57 PM.

If you try to shoot over 45 feet with a magstrike accurately you fail

I beg to differ

#6 shardbearer

shardbearer

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • State:California
  • u/ahalekelly on Reddit

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:13 PM

I have no idea why people use salvaged bladders. You can make your own using latex rubber tubing, it is really not hard. Do ten minutes of reading here and then buy some here.

#7 Drax

Drax

• Banned
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:56 PM

I have no idea why people use salvaged bladders. You can make your own using latex rubber tubing, it is really not hard. Do ten minutes of reading here and then buy some here.

That is freaking genius. It'd be nice to know what the operating pressure of a Sceptor is so I can better match the tubing to it. but that seems like it should work like a charm.

EDIT: So I just use a standard barbed fitting on one end? What do I use to cap the other end?

Edited by Drax, 01 December 2010 - 08:00 PM.

#8 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Oregon
  • u/Parabolictoys on Reddit

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

That is freaking genius. It'd be nice to know what the operating pressure of a Sceptor is so I can better match the tubing to it. but that seems like it should work like a charm.

EDIT: So I just use a standard barbed fitting on one end? What do I use to cap the other end?

Use a barbed plug.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#9 shardbearer

shardbearer

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • u/ahalekelly on Reddit

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

Use a bolt, and you need hose clamps over the barbed fitting and the bolt. Also, the max psi showed on Mcmaster is the pressure that it starts expanding, not when it bursts.

Edited by shardbearer, 01 December 2010 - 08:37 PM.

#10 Drax

Drax

• Banned
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:06 PM

Use a bolt, and you need hose clamps over the barbed fitting and the bolt. Also, the max psi showed on Mcmaster is the pressure that it starts expanding, not when it bursts.

Yeah, I remember reading that on the website you linked me to, but since it's effectively a constant pressure bladder, then all of my shots would be at that pressure. What I'm wondering is if that's too high or too low for the Sceptor to use. Course, then again, it runs off of a hard tank, so it probably works on a wide range of pressures.

#11 shardbearer

shardbearer

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • u/ahalekelly on Reddit

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:53 PM

Mcmaster does sell a wide pressure range of tubing, so I would get a pressure gauge, measure the max pressure that the Spectre normally uses, and then get tubing just above that.

EDIT: See post below

Edited by shardbearer, 02 December 2010 - 07:11 PM.

#12 Drax

Drax

• Banned
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:06 PM

Mcmaster does sell a wide pressure range of tubing, so I would get a pressure gauge, measure the max pressure that the Spectre normally uses, and then get tubing just above that.

Unfortunately I plugged the pump on mine, so I don't know if that'd work since I can take it up to higher than stock pressures. How would I go about attaching the gauge anyways?

Edited by Drax, 02 December 2010 - 07:07 PM.

#13 shardbearer

shardbearer

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • u/ahalekelly on Reddit

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

This originally was a edit in the post above, but I decided it worked better like this.

The OPRV kicks in at 20 PSI on these things. Mcmaster's bladders expands to 3x the ID, so I would say this or this or even this and use 1 1/2 pvc as the case.

For attaching the guage, just put a tee in next to the tank and attach the gauge with an adapter. I just use an old tire pressure gauge and I have a schraeder valve on each of my airguns.

What a deal! $4+shipping for a nice gauge with a schraeder valve and an adjustable OPRV!

Edited by shardbearer, 02 December 2010 - 07:25 PM.

#14 Drax

Drax

• Banned
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:28 PM

The OPRV kicks in at 20 PSI on these things. Mcmaster's bladders expands to 3x the ID, so I would say this or this or even this and use 1 1/2 pvc as the case.

Well, with the pump plugged I've taken it to over double the number of pumps for the stock OPRV to pop, so if the OPRV was 20, then I see no issue with using a 30 or 35 PSI bladder. On the one super soaker website you linked me to they advised using 3" PVC rather than 1 1/2".

EDIT: I re-read the site, and the tubing expands 3x in length, but 8.5x in diameter. Using the 1/2" ID tubing (5234K86), that means an expanded ID of 4.25", and an expanded OD of 4.625, way bigger than the ID of 3" PVC.

Edited by Drax, 02 December 2010 - 07:39 PM.

#15 shardbearer

shardbearer

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • u/ahalekelly on Reddit

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

Sorry, it expands to 8.5*ID+Wall thickness*2 in diameter and 3x it's length, not including the things under the clamps. So I will have to redo my math. 3" is generally considered too big for a nerf gun, especially if it is not the main body, it just gets too bulky.
This seems about right for what you said, the expanded OD would be ~1.8". The super soaker site also said to "lube" the bladder with talcum powder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users