Photo

Nerf In The News

56 replies to this topic

#1 Y-Brik

Y-Brik

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:44 PM

This was on the 10:00 news the other night.
Linky
Kinda bugs me that the intelligent nerfers are lumped in with the retards. Also, slingshots? Those are SO 2008!

As I said I have not not alot of testes yet but I will be once I finish the mod.

Why I am boycotting Hasbro

#2 thedom21

thedom21

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:58 PM

It also bugs me tremendously that we are grouped with the retards that put thumb-tacks in darts and actually shoot each other. We wear eye protection and take safety precautions at wars. Such as banning unsafe blaster. I like the idea of barrel taps because getting shot close range can hurt sometimes. Like at the MN Halloween war Matt got shot close range by a big blast in the face. Why other people don't like barrel taps I don't know.
Funny Irc moments

22:32 hookerninja I would just switch to 2 full 69's
22:32 hookerninja that would diddle shit

11:44 Zorn Her butt is too tiny even for limp 6th grade penis?
11:44 Zorn ergo the dildo

#3 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:13 PM

"quick everybody, let's shelter our kids from anything that has even minimal potential to be dangerous!"

This kind of protectiveness is stupid. Injury from nerf modding will only occur with stupidity.
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#4 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:32 PM

You can put this kind of stuff HERE.

#5 lionhawk

lionhawk

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:06 PM

Wow, in that video Ice was doing a tutorial. Anyway, I think this is sort of stupid. Thumb tacked darts are made by complete retards. The so-called "reports of getting shot in the eye" is total garbage, at all of the nerfhaven wars, eye protection is a need for a certain age group.

#6 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:34 PM

Oh for fucks sakes. Thanks for the "got knocked out" quote Vas!
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#7 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:36 PM

Ok, so I read that article and really WTF wast the point to it?
All I got was that Hasbro says to not misuse their toys(such as modding...)

#8 louiec3

louiec3

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:42 PM

Edited by louiec3, 14 December 2010 - 07:50 PM.

#9 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:50 PM

I'd believe that some people would be dumb enough to nerf without eye protection considering there are those that are dumb enough to post comments that DO NOT help our stand that this is a safe hobby...

I was almost blinded in my left eye (my shooting eye) by a modified nitefinder from about 15 ft away. I have been wearing eye protection ever since.

This was the post they referenced, this clearly isn't the worst injury in the thread.

And who is the douche wearing tacti-cool crap hosting a war and talking the press?
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#10 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:57 PM

I personally found the article quite funny, the announcers and everyone involved except maybe that kid have no idea what nerf modding or wars are... reminds me of the times I have tried to explain nerf to non-nerfers.

#11 lionhawk

lionhawk

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:01 PM

I personally found the article quite funny, the announcers and everyone involved except maybe that kid have no idea what nerf modding or wars are... reminds me of the times I have tried to explain nerf to non-nerfers.

The mom of the kid seemed to know some.

#12 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:07 PM

Okay, I tried to post a comment on their website but of course it did not show up. Basically I said what needed to be said. If they want to acknowledge it they will. Frankly our stance here is that you take your own risks. Bad things might happen to you at a nerf war and you know that showing up. These people just wanted to fill a 2 minute slot and good for them. I'm pretty pissed at Vas though (guy with the knock out comment). There's no way that happened in real life. I've taken the exact same hit many times. Not to mention, I'm sure one of you know enough about physics to just kill that where it stands. Fact is, I've been doing this a long ass time. I've seen alot of nasty hits. None of them were bad. You're at far greater risk from the running you do (see my ankles and Vacc's knee) then the darts being fired at you. This news report means nothing. End of story.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#13 LiterSize

LiterSize

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

Alright, my turn. We were throwing the war, and all of a sudden some news crew was there. (as for the tacticool gear, it was a HALLOWEEN WAR and we were doing HvZ rounds). Someone's parent made a call, and they did their research which led them to our war. They tell us they're looking into dangerous modding and using metal ammo.

As for the hit to the temple, Talio, yeah you (who weren't there) can say that all you want, but I was the one who took the hit and there were the other folks at the war that day who freaked the crap out when I fell. Yeah, it was a freak shot and I'd been shot at plenty more before and after that last year without incident and yeah there was a whole bunch of stuff I said after that quote regarding responsibility and knowing what you're getting into, but naturally that didn't get used. It was no secret about that happening last year in our group and the news crew heard about it when they started asking if anyone had been injured. Everyone just kinda looked my way. Just like anything else the conditions were right at that time and that happened. Does it happen often? No. Did it happen? Yeah.

#14 jaybo1996

jaybo1996

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:22 PM

Am I the only one that noticed they used video of lots of kids, who were all way under modding age? They didn't interview any intelegent people, just the 8 year olds that sign up without reading the CoC.
01:15 N9> The problem with nerfers: We're around plastic. Plastic contains estrogenic compounds, so we're more feminine than the rest of the world.

WTF, are you in Tony Stark's basement!?'

#15 ChaosRaisin

ChaosRaisin

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:35 PM

Maybe next time they should interview individuals from both sides. Us, and the not-so-competent modder. The admins would give a great interview.
Zorn- "Or, if you play the socal/"real" way, you have some pokeballs, some energy cards, and two dudes in caps who yell at each other."

#16 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:50 PM

No we wouldn't because we wouldn't talk to someone with a fucking camera in our faces. Repeat after me kids "No comment".

#17 RedShot

RedShot

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:05 PM

So what, who cares about what the media says, Its not going to stop Hasbro from making their guns so nothing to worry about.
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together!
[RedShot]

#18 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:17 PM

Trust Ice to get us all in trouble...

I'm with Bob. I knew before even watching the clip that we, as a community, would be mis-represented. And we were.

Now get over it, and go Nerf.

#19 hockeyfights118

hockeyfights118

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:27 PM

I agree with you Brit, we need to get over this and continue modding. There are kids all over the place who think placing a tack on a dart is fun. Doing things like that as well as motor increases and co2 and paintball stuff is just stupid.Those people aren't really "modders" as the news called them, they are just idiots. At least we know, that we are the "real" modders.

By the way, anybody know who was interviewed? Just curious.

Edited by hockeyfights118, 24 November 2010 - 11:30 PM.

I love nerf.

QUOTE(Poseidon @ Oct 2 2009, 05:28 PM)

Stalk... do you mean "stock" or are we talking about corn now?

#20 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:52 PM

You're all missing the real story:

Just Some Bob posting something insightful and relevant.

Weird! But Bob's key mistake was the expectation the unwashed masses of the internet to know who Walter Cronkite is. Welcume to the futurure, its auwsome!

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 24 November 2010 - 11:52 PM.

#21 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:04 AM

As for the hit to the temple, Talio, yeah you (who weren't there) can say that all you want, but I was the one who took the hit and there were the other folks at the war that day who freaked the crap out when I fell. Yeah, it was a freak shot and I'd been shot at plenty more before and after that last year without incident and yeah there was a whole bunch of stuff I said after that quote regarding responsibility and knowing what you're getting into, but naturally that didn't get used. It was no secret about that happening last year in our group and the news crew heard about it when they started asking if anyone had been injured. Everyone just kinda looked my way. Just like anything else the conditions were right at that time and that happened. Does it happen often? No. Did it happen? Yeah.

You got knocked out from a nerf dart? What the hell is wrong with you? Not to mention you're a retard and I hate you. Don't respond it'll just make you even more lame.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#22 Gears

Gears

The boy who lived

• Members
  • 848 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:30 AM

Ysohypocrite, Brit? And wonderful! Now we look like Larpers. We so awesome. Fuck you midwest nerf. You are the suck.

<3333 ted

WoW is destroying my life.

-Groove out.

LAWN GNOME LIBERATION FRONT

#23 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:52 AM

I actually don't think the story (as a whole) was as bad as some (most/all) of you seem to see it.

They didn't just rely on youtube footage. Instead, they found a rather intelligent nerfer (of an age similar to the idiot with the black recon) who knows a fair bit about modding and responsibility, plus a good parent that supports her son's hobby. And he even used Felt+Washers (which aren't universally used, no matter what you think), which in my opinion look way better than having a hard plastic dome on the front of the dart (although people do get hung up on the whole somewhat-exposed metal thing)

They also went to an NIC war with a host that was smart enough to mention that needles, pins, and over-powered blasters/mods are banned from wars.

Talio's suggestion of "no comment" is a good one, especially if you are considering telling a newscaster about that one time when you were nearly blinded/almost bled to death/had a welt that lasted two weeks/etc.

Any more than that and you end up getting your words twisted and your hobby misrepresented (see video for an example).

Edited by jwasko, 25 November 2010 - 02:18 AM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#24 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:12 AM

Ysohypocrite, Brit? And wonderful! Now we look like Larpers. We so awesome. Fuck you midwest nerf. You are the suck.

<3333 ted

Yeah, I agree.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#25 lionhawk

lionhawk

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

The "blinded in the eye" thing is garbage. You could get hurt in the same way with a non-modded gun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users