10 replies to this topic

#1 ArmyOfNone

ArmyOfNone

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:54 PM

Spent some time at the local Goodwill recently, and was rewarded with this:

Posted Image

At first glance, it looks like someone murdered/gutted a Playdough person, molded their lower digestive tract into a weapon-shaped mass, and tried to power it with a nuclear reactor. At second, third, and sixteenth glance...yeah, it still looks like that.

Here's a size comparison with a NF:

Posted Image

Best part about it? The reactor is a speaker. The gun takes batteries. This Crayola-inspired mass of plastic entrails literally blows fart noises at you not only as you shoot it, but as you pump it, too. It's freakin' spectacular.

Behold, the one piece of info/video I could find about it:

http://www.zazz.com....ts.php?past=339

As the gun was DOA when I bought it, I operated immediately after arriving at home, in the hopes that it could be saved. Opening it up, I quickly found the reason it wasn't working in-store:

Posted Image

Diagnosis: That is one rather messed-up set of internals. Fiddled with it for about 15 minutes, and managed to get everything back into the correct spaces...

Posted Image

...and what emerges is one of the most confusing examples of weapons-priming technology that I've ever seen. As far as I can tell, instead of filling an air tank, pumping the orange intestinal handle ratchets the plunger rod back until it impacts the rear wall of the purple liver/spleen (~5 pumps), and pulling the trigger slips the teeth off the rod so it can travel back down the tube via spring power. Good luck doing a spring improvement mod here, all those thin interlocking plastic pieces would snap like twigs.

In comparison to a NF, the plunger tube is just slightly narrower, but quite a bit longer:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Really a shame about the fragile internals, the stock spring doesn't seem like much of anything really.

Unfortunately, I can't tell for sure how powerful the spring actually is, or even give any sort of stock ranges, 'cause the gun's still not working - all the internals are set up correctly, the rod ratchets back as it should, but when it releases, the plunger just...dies, dart still in the barrel. It's almost like the plunger head creates a too-perfect seal that stops it from traveling down the tube at any great speed - possibly due to the air restrictor, which is a massive beefy beast of a thing, by the way. Puts the other Nerf ones I've seen to shame:

Back:
Posted Image

Front:
Posted Image

Thinking of picking up some White Lithium grease or something and really lubing it up, see if that makes any difference in power. Failing that, a different spring might just be needed. Don't want to rip out the AR just yet, mostly 'cause I'm curious what the stock ranges would be with this size plunger tube, but if nothing else works, it'll have to go.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the Fart Dart. Thoughts? Impressions? Anyone have one of these before, and maybe suffered the same problem?

#2 phillypretzel

phillypretzel

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:41 AM

Interesting find! Were you able to get the fart noises working? Looks like a prime candidate for a custom plunger tube replacement (like this).

#3 ModSquad

ModSquad

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:45 AM

I personally think that this gun has potential. You could do replacement internals or use the NF plunger tube replacement PETG. I was also wondering, does it happen to have a speaker? I see the wires and followed them to the thing under that orange plate, it looks to be a speaker.
"Roger Ten Niner, we got a rainbow four klicks out. I'm casting the rod."
"Roger Squad Leader. Sending in back up."
"Roger Ten Niner. We have a confirmed bite. I repeat, a confirmed bite"
"Good job boys, lets real it in and go home"

#4 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

ModSquad, you're retarded. No offense, but he clearly said that it makes noises from the nuclear symbol in the original post.

As for internals, I think a replacement with homemade internals for a pump action fart gun is a good choice.

Edited by boisie, 22 November 2010 - 04:47 PM.

QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

#5 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:32 AM

Looking at the pics and the description of how it works, makes it seem like extending the plunger draw, like phillypretzel suggests, is impossible. I do see potential for a pump gun like and at2k or the like to be put in.

#6 phillypretzel

phillypretzel

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:19 AM

Looking at the pics and the description of how it works, makes it seem like extending the plunger draw, like phillypretzel suggests, is impossible. I do see potential for a pump gun like and at2k or the like to be put in.

Impossible?! Evidently you don't mod very well or very often.

@ArmyOfNone Have you gotten this thing to work yet? I couldn't tell exactly how the "air restrictor" works from the pics. Is it a valve that opens when a dart is pressed back into the barrel, like a nerf blaster? If so, it's possible that it came with nonstandard dart sizes (it is from Australia), and nerf micros aren't long enough to open the valve. Just a thought.

Also, googling "fart dart" results in some amusing definitions from Urban Dictionary, and well, this thing.

#7 natenerf25

natenerf25

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:47 PM

nice pictures very interesting gun
runs with unicorns

#8 Chaos-blades

Chaos-blades

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:44 PM

Nice, I see many sentences that are going to be added that hilarious quote to my signature, while playing with my butthole very soon.

Great find, hope you get it working.

Hey, pull my plunger...
- "I'll have a Farmer's Union Iced Coffee thanks"
- "sorry we don't have Farmer's Union, we've got Oak if you like"
- "Looks like it'll be nothing for me then"

#9 ArmyOfNone

ArmyOfNone

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:26 AM

@ArmyOfNone Have you gotten this thing to work yet? I couldn't tell exactly how the "air restrictor" works from the pics. Is it a valve that opens when a dart is pressed back into the barrel, like a nerf blaster? If so, it's possible that it came with nonstandard dart sizes (it is from Australia), and nerf micros aren't long enough to open the valve. Just a thought.

Also, googling "fart dart" results in some amusing definitions from Urban Dictionary, and well, this thing.

Was able to get the fart noises working perfectly, all it needed was a fresh pair of batteries. It's pretty loud in-person, could definitely see the following happening mid-war:

Enemy: hmmm...wonder where he is...
Me: (pump) *FART* (pump) *FRRRRT* (pump) *FRAAAP*
Enemy: <_<

As for the actual gun...well, I managed to get a can of White Lithium Grease from the local Home Depot earlier in the week, just haven't gotten around to actually spraying it in yet. The AR is hard to photograph, but it's not a valve or anything, definitely static, just very very restrictive. Micros fit perfectly inside (good catch though that it's from Australia and might have non-standard darts, hadn't crossed my mind). I'm moving the rod back and forth now, and am 99% certain that all it needs is a good lubing and it should fire off just fine. Will spray and test tomorrow. Haha and yes, this thing kept cropping up in my searches as well. To hell with stephans - slugs of solid methane would make excellent Nerf ammo, I daresay.

@ boisie/that one guy - replacing the internals with a standard pump-gun was something also under consideration, but the part where there's issues lie in the length of the pump draw. There's only about 4 inches or so of space for pumping on the shell, so I'd either have to dremel out a longer area, or do like 20 pumps to fully prime the thing for one shot. Could be something for the future, but for now I just wanna get the thing farting (I mean, working) like it's supposed to.

@Chaos-blades - Thanks! Will be sure to post status come tomorrow, when it'll hopefully be working.

#10 ArmyOfNone

ArmyOfNone

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:34 PM

Well ... don't.
Spraying anything at all into plastic toys is a bad idea, because the propellant itself is fairly likely to do damage. Lithium grease is probably safe, just spray it in something else and apply it from there with a swab or whatever.

Copy that - makes sense when you think about it. Thanks!

Chose white lithium grease after reading CaptainSlug's post on plastic-safe lubricants, seemed the best/easiest-available option - here's the can:

http://www.blasterco...ium_Grease.html

If I've made the wrong choice, better to know now than later, lol.

#11 BeastMode

BeastMode

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:17 PM

Wow. Just the name and picture were funny enough and then your description wow. But were the intervals really that out of whack? That air restrictor was huge. You should find a way so when you fire the gun a cloud of methane comes out of the barrel lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users