Snap-on Camera Mount

Capture the action

14 replies to this topic

#1 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:18 PM

I've been frustrated with how little I've been filming at wars, this is to make it easier to film. Turning (I'm taking this round out to take pictures) to (I'll just turn this on).

It's a variation of the current SNAP handle.

I used

-A section of 1+1/2" PVC
-Some piece of wood
-What I believe is a 1/4-20 1+1/2" machine screw (fits in the bottom of the camera)
-2 nails (you should use screws)

Make these:

Posted Image

Drill holes, screw the two together, drill a bigger hole for the bigger machine screw, insert it:

Posted Image

Snap to your SNAP/Rainbow/Bow:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Attach camera:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And take pictures

Posted Image

Posted Image

To Do/I'd like suggestions

-Protecting the back and the front of the camera while being able to access the buttons

-Vertical mount (view down the barrel)
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#2 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:20 PM

FPS FTW!

I'm glad there is energy being put in to war photography, I love seeing war pics (even if I'm not in then: ima trollin your threadz) and anything that keeps more people in the game is great. Nice work, if you put it on your LS and set it for a one second delay you would get TONS of hit-pics :rolleyes:
The Difference:
-Guns shoot bullets that kill people
-Blasters shoot darts that tag people

I do not play with guns.

#3 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:39 AM

To Do/I'd like suggestions

-Protecting the back and the front of the camera while being able to access the buttons

-Vertical mount (view down the barrel)

Mounting the block of wood horizontally instead of vertically would be the easiest way to get a view down the barrel, if it all fits together that way. I don't have any good ideas for protection though. You could mount plexiglass to the side of the wood so it covered the camera. If it's thin and clear enough you could probably take pictures through it.

Looks pretty good already though.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#4 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:31 AM

Excellent work. Personally, I go with a pair of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...2#ht_2446wt_905

Work exactly like FA's, but around 1/3 of the price. Just add a micro SD card and run around like a loon.

#5 Eh Watt

Eh Watt

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:42 PM

Great job on this, 'Tron! Methinks this will get great use in the minnesotan wars in the future!
John Hancock

#6 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I've decided to ditch the down barrel view, I won't be able to aim with the camera there...

Yeah, a couple pieces of polycarb will do nicely to protect the lens/screen.

Brit, those are really cool. I might get a pair if I can find a job.
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#7 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:45 PM

I got a pair of those video camera sunglasses over the summer for about $25 shipped. They're pretty good, and there are a lot of them available on eBay for good prices. Something that would interest me would be to have everyone at the next MN war have a self mounted or gun mounted video camera recording at the same time. But we should probably worry more about simply getting people to show up at our wars first rather than documenting them......haha.

Edited by venom213, 23 November 2010 - 08:47 PM.

#8 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:22 PM

BODY BAG

Next time you guys war, try filming using both methods.

#9 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:46 PM

But we should probably worry more about simply getting people to show up at our wars first rather than documenting them......haha.

Maybe if you show how much fun you are having, it will intice those people that 'might/might not' into 'be there early'

#10 Fome

Fome

• Banned
  • 312 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:15 PM

This is pretty cool and all but honestly, gun cam footage is excruciating to watch, especially when the person recording is less than mindful about the fact that they have a camera strapped to their gun.

If you want this to be enjoyable to watch, I'd recommend pointing at things you actually want your viewers to see (ie. not long durations of the grass flying by underneath when you're running or of the trees wobbling overhead when you're having some inane discussion about rules or hits). Your teammates might have some problem with you sticking your barrel in their face everytime they say something though.

I think with some proper editing, a combination of camera types (head-mounted, "turning", gun-mounted) and some actual application of skill in photo shooting we could have some war footage that isn't just painless to watch, but downright amazing - and therefore very useful in recruiting new nerfers.

Awesome attachment, atomatron, but I truly don't think it's enough to stick a camera on your gun if you want good war footage.

#11 joeri

joeri

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:28 PM

Nice, good writeup to, clear and easy to follow. :D
Sg Nerf has made something like this to:
http://nerfsg.freefo...822.html#p21306
And I totally agree with Fome, Good footage of nerf wars is certainly a way to recruit new nerfers or raise interest in nerf. :D

#12 shardbearer

shardbearer

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:30 PM

Great writeup, I like the idea, but I have to agree with Fome that unedited footage is tortuous to watch (hem hem U3).

You could use this with the Gyrostabilization Module to get smoother footage.

#13 ugh112

ugh112

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:50 PM

Love the idea!

I really wanna try this, but were do you get the screws that fit your camera, like a hardware store? Camera store?
QUOTE(Floppyjack @ Dec 1 2010, 06:57 PM) View Post

Too small? Mine are always too big, only one is the perfect size. Sorry, no pics, I'm in bed with my iPod.

QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 15 2010, 12:59 PM) View Post

I'd like to bid $15 for your dick.

#14 shardbearer

shardbearer

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:29 PM

He said he thought it is a 1/4-20 machine screw, and wikipedia agrees. It says to use BSW threads, but UNC might work.

A shoulder camera would work pretty well, no need to pay attention to where you are pointing your gun/head, it would always point forwards. Just don't shrug.

Edited by shardbearer, 30 November 2010 - 07:37 PM.

#15 shardbearer

shardbearer

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:34 PM

Stupid flood control. Made me post twice.

Edited by shardbearer, 30 November 2010 - 07:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users