Nj Invitational Recap

Your thoughts and opinions.

23 replies to this topic

#1 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 10:41 PM

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts and opinions on the war. What did you like, what didn't you like, would you attend another one? I'll post my own opinions in a bit. Must eat food first.
~Famine
of Mag-7
East Coast Nerf 2005: Step It Up.
East Coast Nerf 2006: That's more like it.
East Coast Nerf 2007: I'm not driving to Massachusetts again.
East Coast Nerf 2008: Day of Regret.
East Coast Nerf 2009: Quid pro quo, douchebags!

#2 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 11:17 PM

Alright, first I'm going to apologize, cause I had a lowsy attitude all day. As you guys know I'm getting over the flu, and the last few days have chronicalled themselves as fairly stressful. Either way though, Josh and I both had an excellent time.

Anyway, I really like your class idea. I don't care too much for east coast rules, but I'd love to try that in a different element, rather then having to stay on a playground.

The pergatory game was interesting, but it seemed more like a glorified deathmatch to me. No matter how you look at it, it's a fun change of pace from the average games.

I liked the feild, I do wish we had a tad bit more cover cause I'm a big fuck, but if I'm in better health it could be completely different. But don't take that to heart, I was sick and didn't feel like running. I actaully really liked the feild. I've never gone home with so many darts in my life. I think I was actually pretty close to what I came with. Pardon my darts too, they were made frivilously. Anyway, I had a damn good time regaurdless of me just being in a bad mood, so it must have been truely rockin'.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#3 Warlock

Warlock

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 05:34 AM

The day as a whole kicked ass. End of story.
~§~ Warlock ~§~ Of the Lawn Chair Mafia ~§~

"It's so hard to be a fighter when your hands are always tied"
~"Señor Limpio" by Corrosion Of Conformity

Metal Gear?!

#4 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:16 AM

Yea I enjoyed myself. I would totally go to another. I enjoyed the change of pace of the woods, but at the same time, a little MORE cover would have been cool. However I can't complain. I had a blast. I am a fan of east coast style play now, and I would like to see more of that implemented to regular deathmatches. The gunslinger was am awesome idea, I think I liked it better with teams. I would also maybe like to see a 3 or 4 team battle in the future. Overall it was one of the most fun wars I've been to in a while.
I hate you.

#5 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 05:43 PM

Well from my point of view the whole day was alot of fun. The team-"Purgatory" rounds worked better than the free for alls, the class based CTF barely worked at all; live and learn I guess. Lunch took a bit longer than planned, a good tip for all future planned events: order lunches a round ahead of time and send someone to pick them up.

I like that school alot and if not for "The Man" showing up I would have enjoyed a few more rounds out front. The second location near us has a bit more cover so maybe we'll try that next time if it's not being used for Baseball. I know the LGLF are planning a late May war so we'll have to see when the next timewe'll be able to host will be.

Personal highlights of the day:
- Joe scoring hits while performing aerobatic stunts. Damn him.
- Jake sneaking behind people and going Ninja on their ass.
- Hersh losing someone everytime they looked away.
- Me shooting Langley in the mouth. Shut that bitch up good motha fucka!!!

Edited by Famine, 19 April 2004 - 11:01 PM.

~Famine
of Mag-7

#6 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 07:10 PM

Yea, Jake is a mother fuckin ninja. That kids comes up right behind me, sticks the barrel of his BBB in my back and goes "Hey buddy" and takes my last life. Son of a bitch, he's good. Also, yea I am refining my skills as a watcher. I pay attention to what OTHER people are paying attention and I was able to get people on more than one occasion without them knowing, in particualr I believe its the only way I can ever hit Joe.

MY other higlights:
-Of course Joe's acrobatics, including a recovery from a near fatal upside down fall from a tree, you're a motherfuckin' cat man.
-The Man, holding us back since '93, and the extra harassment of the skate kid, poor bastard.
-Pregame breakfast and inspiration a la bagels and Equilibrium
-Hitting jake in the thigh/calf from only a few feet away in one of the jungle gym rounds.

By far the BEST moment of the day for me was Phil walking back to get a new pistol after his NF broke, then coming full charge back into battle and getting shot literally SECONDS after entering the melee. God i love that kid, Phil you are awesome, and you have a hell of a heart for the game.
I hate you.

#7 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 10:11 PM

Good War. Good Location. Last couple of rounds owned. I think we gave up on the Fortress game too easily, but we'll work that out. Overall I had a good time, and everyone was great, but I think alot of people weren't 100% in the game that day. No one in particular, just a generall lazy attitude. In any case I look foreward to nerfing again with the same group in the same setting--sans the po-po--when we're all a little more psyched.

-Phil "Dont fucking call me Langley in person" Gilhouse

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#8 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 11:54 PM

Overall it was a success. The war ran, in general, at a slower pace than I would have liked in certain instances, but that was to be expected. Everyone has to kind of get used to nerfing in open areas. Until that point I think they're going to be a bit more heistant than usual. I think we got some valuable play testing on our new war types, and some interesting reads on nerfers.

Anyway, I'd like to see some of the participants give us some feedback on what they feel are the negatives of the past war.

VACC

#9 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 12:35 AM

Negatives for me. Hour before actually nerfing. I understood the Equilibrium pump up, but god damn it took a long time. Po Po, I just never like a run in with the Lawdogs. And agreed that lunch took way longer then I would have liked. I think overall we just didn't nerf as much as we usually do at wars, but I think it a different setting, it would be better. I really liked the group of people we had. We were all very like minded, and there was no bad blood what so ever.

Josh had a good time, I hope he'll be able to come to another one, but I'm think I'm going to go solo to the next couple just because it's less stress. That and Joshes fiancee (my actual cousin) gives me a certian degree of shit everytime I take him.

The capture the flag round. Let me post my thoughts here, and bare with me. I explained this idea of Chris, and really hold that it's a good idea. I think we should try it, class based and all, and set our cars up as baracades almost like a speed ball feild. None of us have cars where it's going to hurt them to get hit. The idea of having to stay on the playground equipment is what really sunk that game. I wouldn't mind seeing the other feild, but you guys have inspired me to go look for a school to play at, kudos.

Yeah, so as long as we nerf more at the next war, I think everything will be excellent.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#10 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 03:55 PM

My highlights.

-Yes, my acrobatics. Not as an in-your-face, so much as a holy-fuck-I-actually-did-that-shit. I knew I could do the cartwheel one-handed. I knew I could shoot one handed. Never did I think I could EFFECTIVELY combine that shit. I thought it would be more akin to my outdated attempts at using the Vortex outdoors. As in useless and dumb.

-Andy, as my motherrfuckin' nemesis for this war. Every time I thought I was in the clear, he popped me from just inside my blind spot.

-Gunslinger Heaven, and the proliferance of Pistol-Only battles. I fuckin' love pistol only. It leaves me a much greater freedom of motion. I can run faster, dodge more aptly, and be more confident in close range (which is of insurmountable importance when there's no cover, like at Swimming River).

Them's my two cents for the moment.

DEATH

Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without.  --Hávamál 38

#11 Warlock

Warlock

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:39 PM

-Andy, as my motherrfuckin' nemesis for this war. Every time I thought I was in the clear, he popped me from just inside my blind spot.

Which Andy do you speak of?

Metal Gear?!

#12 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 05:26 PM

-Andy, as my motherrfuckin' nemesis for this war.  Every time I thought I was in the clear, he popped me from just inside my blind spot.

Which Andy do you speak of?

Why, you, of course. Every time I thought I was good to go BAM! Right at me.

DEATH

Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without.  --Hávamál 38

#13 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:42 PM

Not a bad field, it was open and different. I found that it was too open though. Just about any breeze ruined a firefight and most of the shots I saw connected from pretty close, taking an entire element out of the game which I enjoy, actual exchanges between groups.

Pistol wars will always be fun and I'm always up for one. Maybe in May (30th?) at Tindall we can have a badass war like this one, minus wind + cover.

To clear things up about how I felt about the field, I saw it as a novelty field, and to be honest I'm not really interested in Nerfing there any time again soon. There's some park around here (Exit 88 or something like that) and it's a State Park I've never been to. Warlock and I are gonna check it out and see if it'd be worth the time.

See you all in May.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#14 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 09:12 AM

Well, the field IS very open, but this is what we told you all from the start. There are problems inherant with this type of field, and yes that school is on the far end of the spectrum. However, haveing said that I have to say a few less "agreeable" things. There were several factors weakening the battles that were not to be blamed on our field selection. In fact, I would point the majority of the blame elsewhere.

First: Well at least for the horsemen, our darts only worked in Famine's primary, so I know I was reduced to handgun with pretty short range for the ENTIRE war.

Second: At the end of the day it did get windy. However, if you had shown up earlier Matt, maybe you would have avoided some of this.

Third: Most importantly I would say, you guys just aren't used to the open field. Nerfing in woods is akin to being in a nerf coma in many ways. It atrophies your skills. The more we nerfed in the woods the more our fundamentals suffered, I witnissed it in all the horsemen pretty much. What am I saying here? Well, in our park you guys still suck.

Now don't get angry with me here, I'm not saying you aren't talented nerfers with high quality weapons, because you are, we invited you all because we like you guys the best. You're just not used to the open field, and it's more than understandable. However, I think you all will get tons fucking better with each extra war on our terms, because you really are good nerfers. Now if you have no interest in getting better in the open field, that's fine, we'll fucking cope, hehe. BUT, if you want to wipe the floor with everybody else next time you go prancing in the woods, give us a chance.

Now having said that, we'd like to move to a location with a little more cover for our next major engagement (and we have this location in mind). However, we're looking at planning a war in the more imediate future with our own partially selfish motives in mind. Again, if anyone has no interest, as it seems Matt has suggested, that's fine, we'll be sad to lose you, but it's no fun if you don't enjoy yourself. Anyway, more on the upcoming war we're planning in the near future.

VACC

#15 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:55 PM

Alright Phil, don't bust my balls for saying this.

Phil and Fred want to take some time off from Nerf. They both have pretty full schedules and really just can't fit this shit in right now. So they are out for May.

Ok, so with that said, I still want to have may war. We have two options. First, I host it at Tindall, or Horsemen host it on their territory. I'm more for the second option on this one. I will say though, I can't make it before the 11th. It's completely out of the question. I have about 8 projects due before that and a few finals. Now I don't study much for shit, cause I usually learn it the first time, but the programs don't write themselves, and I have to configure a kernal or some shit like that for my operating systems class.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Fact of the matter is, the lglf as a whole will not be hosting May war. I'd like the horsemen to take it, since they seem to show interest, but I can also do it. I do want to host something this summer and run it more like I run things in Delaware. It's probably not how you guys are used to it, but it works and there is little chance for arguement. So if someone wants to bring back the May war topic thats fine by me.

Talio.

#16 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:07 PM

Showing up late was beyond my means of control, I'm lucky to have gotten there at all.

What's the other park like? My main problem with the school was that there was nothing new to it, every round was the same for the most part, minus a minor change in rules or game type. Maybe I suck at Nerfing like Vacc made it sound, but I enjoy a varied field with wooded areas, open areas, and close areas. Call me crazy, but a flat field and a playground just wasn't as fun as it sounded.

#17 Mantis

Mantis

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:09 PM

So is the May war gonna be an invitiational or open?
Personal LCM Summer Tune-Up Stats:
K:H=1.00
Shots Fired: 2.1 x 10^4
Fun had: 97%

#18 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:46 PM

Open, but where are we gonna Nerf? We could still Nerf at Tindall, minus the LGLF/Langley who I've heard have recently had a falling out (or something along those lines). Maybe Tindall, maybe that park off exit 88.

#19 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 06:21 PM

I believe the Horsemen are going to do May war, and I doubt Mantis and Howard will be invited. You'll have to talk to them though. I will most likely host in June, and I'll think about allowing Mantis and Howard. I beleive I've explained to them what is expected from me now, so everything should be kosher, but I would suggest you two having a way home if you plan on fucking around. If you can get your acts together and dress for the weather, I have no problem with it.

#20 Mantis

Mantis

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 07:06 PM

Meh, I'm done with you guys for a while. Thanks for the chit chat yesterday Chris, but dont bother.
Personal LCM Summer Tune-Up Stats:
K:H=1.00
Shots Fired: 2.1 x 10^4
Fun had: 97%

#21 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:18 PM

Anyway, I'm in for the early Horsemen May war. As is Warlock I believe.

#22 Warlock

Warlock

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:08 PM

Oh, I'm in. You people tend to forget that my amount of actual things that are on my agenda ...is extremely small. (Translation: I have no fucking life.)

Metal Gear?!

#23 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 11:11 PM

Yeah, sorry Andy but I haven't seen you on AIM so I wasn't able to invite you personally. Anyways, the 8th, near us, expect more details and a new thread about it next week. Until then any other feedback about the last war would be appreciated. So far we have:

- Have everyone arrive at a more specific time so we can begin Nerfing prompter.
-Try a location with a bit more cover.
- Phone in lunch and have it picked up.
- Maybe have everyone buy their preffered sports drink ahead of time.
- Be more open in who we allow to attend.
~Famine
of Mag-7

#24 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:58 PM

Ok, May 8th at the horsemen feild, and then something else they were talking about. I'm hosting in June here in Delaware. Don't know what kind of numbers I'll get, but I'll request everyone down here makes it. So I'll have at least 8 or 10. I'm going to call around and get some info.

Talio.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users