Prepping for a Winter Break Project

7 replies to this topic

#1 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:55 PM

Most of us know the Walkie talkies on the Commlinks are crap. IMO, I'd like to keep them when I get around to overhauling my pair into primary-worthy blasters. Given a fairly large field of play, this feature could actually come in handy and make things interesting.

The best solution seems to be replacing the walkie talkies. While I'm sure dad and myself could figure out disassembling parts to make things fit, does anyone know of simple, really thin walkie-talkies that could fit? I'm guesstimating that 3/4" is the target, just looking at the shell.

Can be some knockoff kid's toy, as far as I'm concerned, as long as it works. We don't exactly need 26 mile ranges here.

#2 ArmyOfNone

ArmyOfNone

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:38 PM

This looks like something that could fit the bill size-wise:

http://store.discove...ch&esvtk_s=bgss

I own a similar pair, and they're fantastic for skiing in large groups while keeping in contact. A tad expensive, perhaps, but also very useful for anything after the war.

#3 cheyner

cheyner

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:19 PM

If you want something pretty steep, but awesome as hell, put cell phones in them.
Upgrade to the max.

Whatever you plan on, I hope you have these ready for the badlands in the spring.

Beaver's post claiming Kane's post claiming Demon Lord's post is correct is correct is correct.

Canadian Nerfers-R.I.P.

#4 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

I second the FRS radios. There are many models out now that are pretty inexpensive too.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#5 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:20 AM

If you can figure out a way to make them easily removable, that would not only make them more versatile on the field, but perhaps even justify the cost as you wouldn't be limited to using them only for Nerf.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#6 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:09 AM

Thanks, I'm going with the Discovery radios recommended above. Seemed the best option for what I want. And now that I have the right screwdriver bit for these suckers, I can open them up and do stuff. Thanks!

#7 phillypretzel

phillypretzel

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:08 PM

I also have a pair collecting dust that I would like to overhaul, looking forward to see what you do with them! I have thought about this also... have you considered bluetooth? When I nerf, my cell phone is already in my pocket... isn't yours? and everyone else you nerf with? A small handsfree kit would be supa pimp... no one is ever out of range, and you could play mp3's. Imagine opponents hearing "Ride of the valkyries" when you rushed.

edit: (in case you're 12 and have no idea what I'm talking about)

Edited by phillypretzel, 19 November 2010 - 06:20 PM.

#8 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:17 PM

I also have a pair collecting dust that I would like to overhaul, looking forward to see what you do with them! I have thought about this also... have you considered bluetooth? When I nerf, my cell phone is already in my pocket... isn't yours? and everyone else you nerf with? A small handsfree kit would be supa pimp... no one is ever out of range, and you could play mp3's. Imagine opponents hearing "Ride of the valkyries" when you rushed.

edit: (in case you're 12 and have no idea what I'm talking about)

That would actually be pretty Effeminate. Will keep that idea in mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users