Photo

Help A Noob Choose Springs For A Homemade Gun

3 replies to this topic

#1 LilNickyG

LilNickyG

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:49 PM

Hi, Im making a L.I.D. as my first homemade nerf gun. I bought all the materials at home depot and got started. I went to the section where they keep the springs and they had a whole lot of extension springs and a very small selection of compression springs. I finally settled on a pack that had 2 7/8'' x 4" and 2 11/16 X 1-1/4. It is this product on the home depot website
http://www.homedepot...catalogId=10053
The 2 larger springs seem to be fine but i dont want to open them and find they will not work if i could just return them. Could i take the two larger springs, slide one over the dowel, then a washer and then the other spring and still get decent ranges as opposed to 1 large spring? If this will not work can someone tell me what i should use if this wont work well.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by LilNickyG, 25 October 2010 - 09:49 PM.

#2 Darksircam

Darksircam

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:37 AM

One guideline I use is to try to compress the spring fully. If you can do it by hand without the plunger rod, it's weak.
As I see it, the washer idea is not your best choice. It has to go around the dowel perfectly, or it might drop lower and catch on the clothespin trigger. It also has to be unglued from the dowel to allow the plunger rod to compress fully.
Just marking some possible problems.

What would you call "decent" ranges? Using one spring to make a pistol-sized one you could get about 45-50 feet. 1" plunger tubes don't allow for much better performance than stock, unless you make them long.

Edited by Darksircam, 26 October 2010 - 01:43 AM.

Travel Cost to TRU = $2. Eliminator pack = $15. Momentum testing = 2 lost darts. Outranging Recons with your mini pistol = priceless.

#3 LilNickyG

LilNickyG

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:25 PM

Ok. Thanks for the advice. Those are the springs and they seem to work nicely the way i tried it out. I just have to finish up the gun and find out how well it actually worked. Thanks again for the advice.

#4 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:06 PM

I have one of the larger springs in my BBB. I have to use a piece of 1/2" PVC, shaved to fit over the plunger rod, as a spacer, but the kick from it is Effeminate. Was my first real foray into spring replacement, actually, so I haven't bothered to do much more to that BBB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users