Photo

Hamp Help...

14 replies to this topic

#1 nerfhc

nerfhc

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

I really like the HAMP, but I've been having some issues with it...

Half the time the thing won't even shot because the bullets get jammed. It seems only certain bullets will work in it.Taggers and stremlines will not shot, only the micro darts (have yet to try stefans).

So, I've come to the conclusion that I've done something wrong. Maybe I'm pulling the plunger head out to far? Or maybe the barrel is bent or something?

Somethings about my HAMP:
when fully extended, the plunger head is longer than the length of the barrel.
is used a 2in (or whatever size the plunger is) threaded reducer (all they had), attached to a threaded 1/2 inch coupler thing.

Any help would be greatly appriciated :)

#2 nix0101

nix0101

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:28 PM

First, a pic (or 3) would help a whole lot in figuring out the issue and second, have you searched the site for other peoples' HAMP designs? I'd try to emulate a successful style and maybe try to put your own personal spin on it, at least for your first one. After that, go nuts.
Yeah. A length of rope, a good sturdy hook and a stool. Seriously, give your parents their lives back. -talio-

#3 Demon Lord

Demon Lord

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:03 PM

Make sure you have an airgun fit for your darts. HAMPS don't like tight barrels
QUOTE(VACC @ Mar 7 2011, 09:03 AM) View Post

Don't worry so much about what other people will allow. Throw your own wars and kick your friends' asses until they all want one.

#4 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:31 PM

Make sure you have an airgun fit for your darts. HAMPS don't like tight barrels

CPVC works well with slugs, not sure if that counts as 'tight' fit.
The Difference:
-Guns shoot bullets that kill people
-Blasters shoot darts that tag people

I do not play with guns.

#5 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:39 PM

Super loose barrel material is the key to making a yarn seal HAMP to fire reliably, and barrel length is the key to greater power. If you have a plunger tube that's longer than the barrel, it's both inefficient and ergonomically awkward.

Also, pulling the plunger head out of the plunger tube and putting it back in will gradually destroy the seal. You need mechanical stops to prevent this from happening.

Also you need to put up pictures if you want any real help here.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#6 HappyBurnination

HappyBurnination

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:20 PM

Streamlines generally will not work well in a barrel loose enough for micros/taggers.
"Insert barely clever dual nerf/sexual comment here."
WHITE WHALE, HOLY GRAIL
Split your lungs with blood and thunder.

#7 nix0101

nix0101

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:50 AM

This is the HAMP I made. @Happy burnination, it fires streamlines just fine using cpvc. Also, my plunger head eliminates the need for yarn, at least until you start making HAMPs with 1.5" dia. plungers ( but i got something for that too ).
Yeah. A length of rope, a good sturdy hook and a stool. Seriously, give your parents their lives back. -talio-

#8 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

This is the HAMP I made. @Happy burnination, it fires streamlines just fine using cpvc. Also, my plunger head eliminates the need for yarn, at least until you start making HAMPs with 1.5" dia. plungers ( but i got something for that too ).

What you made is not really a HAMP. It's a manual plunger, but it's got the same airflow as a SNAP. So it's really a LAMP (Low Airflow Manual Plunger). More importantly, you used a tight, lubricated seal. So, your blaster follows the rules of springers, not HAMPs, which is why it uses CPVC well. Although lubricated rubber seals can be used to make manual plungers of any size, finding the right components to fit can be tricky, and it will require an unreasonable amount of lube. Also, springer-fit HAMPs are harder to aim than loose barreled HAMPs, because the manual resistance varies as the pressure builds and is released.

Most CPVC is WAY too tight to fire slugs/stefans/streamlines out of a traditional HAMP, unless the foam is exceptionally thin. Apparently, in some regions the local foam and cpvc supply make for a loose fit, but generally it won't work with a yarn seal.

Edited by KaneTheMediocre, 21 October 2010 - 05:45 PM.

RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#9 nerfhc

nerfhc

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

thanks for all the help. I'm going to make a new barrel and see if that helps, I'll try to get some pics upload soon.

edit:
Didn't work.......

I'm getting my pvc from Home Depot, could that mean anything?

Edited by nerfhc, 21 October 2010 - 06:24 PM.

#10 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

There are like 45 wars going on the weekend of Halloween. If you are in MN I will gladly sell you a 12" HAMP with 12" hopper clip made to Rainbow Clan specs for $20. I'll throw in 100 slugs in for free.

Dissect it, call me when you do and I'll give you tips.

ORRRRR...read this.
http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=20030

Or PM me. I'm not a total expert, but I have made several and I'm pretty good at explaining things.
The Difference:
-Guns shoot bullets that kill people
-Blasters shoot darts that tag people

I do not play with guns.

#11 HappyBurnination

HappyBurnination

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:24 AM

thanks for all the help. I'm going to make a new barrel and see if that helps, I'll try to get some pics upload soon.

edit:
Didn't work.......

It'd be helpful if you told us what you did differently.
"Insert barely clever dual nerf/sexual comment here."
WHITE WHALE, HOLY GRAIL
Split your lungs with blood and thunder.

#12 nerfhc

nerfhc

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:31 AM

I tried attaching a longer barrel.

#13 nix0101

nix0101

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

What you made is not really a HAMP. It's a manual plunger, but it's got the same airflow as a SNAP. So it's really a LAMP (Low Airflow Manual Plunger). More importantly, you used a tight, lubricated seal. So, your blaster follows the rules of springers, not HAMPs, which is why it uses CPVC well. Although lubricated rubber seals can be used to make manual plungers of any size, finding the right components to fit can be tricky, and it will require an unreasonable amount of lube. Also, springer-fit HAMPs are harder to aim than loose barreled HAMPs, because the manual resistance varies as the pressure builds and is released.

Most CPVC is WAY too tight to fire slugs/stefans/streamlines out of a traditional HAMP, unless the foam is exceptionally thin. Apparently, in some regions the local foam and cpvc supply make for a loose fit, but generally it won't work with a yarn seal.

So, what would be the ideal size then? Also, my (apparently) LAMP has no problems with aiming and iv'e found that 2-3 squirts of WD-40 down the tube works fine and I know it has petroleum distillates in it but i haven't seen any rubber deterioration like with PJ.

#14 qwertyupp

qwertyupp

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:58 AM

So, what would be the ideal size then? Also, my (apparently) LAMP has no problems with aiming and iv'e found that 2-3 squirts of WD-40 down the tube works fine and I know it has petroleum distillates in it but i haven't seen any rubber deterioration like with PJ.

WD-40 should not be used for any kind of nerf-related lubrication, because its not a lubricant. Its just there to clean off rust and stuff.

Edited by qwertyupp, 22 October 2010 - 10:59 AM.

#15 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:35 PM

Nerfhc: PVC is very inconsistent on the ID. So sometimes it will work great, sometimes it will completely fail. I recommend 1/2" EMT (steel tubes), as they are more slippery, more consistent, and a hair looser than PVC. Home depot definitely sells it (it's usually in the electrical section), and it's about as cheap as PVC. A hacksaw can cut it just fine, but do be careful to clean out all of the metal chips after you do so--I recommend blowing a wet piece of toilet paper through the barrel a few times. EMT isn't perfect, but it has about 10 times less of the "dart-fart" misfires that plague long barrel tagger blasters.

edit: Also, sheath your barrels people. Nothing sharper than 1/2" PVC should be the tip of your barrel.

There is no ideal size. Larger plungers with long, loose barrels are quieter, and in my experience, much easier to aim. Smaller plungers with shorter, tighter barrels are much more compact, and since they build pressure before firing, can achieve the same range as their larger cousins with a shorter barrel. Personally, I hate dealing with lube, and have no need to make my blasters smaller, so the yarn seal works for me. But, I think Wes was the one that observed that a LAMP would make a great integration for a long ranged, accurate blaster. So, the short story is, it depends on what you want from your blaster. I just don't like people telling everyone that CPVC works great for a HAMP barrel, when the yarn seal (which is the most unique feature of the classic HAMP design) is not usually compatible with tight barrels.

Edited by KaneTheMediocre, 25 October 2010 - 11:16 PM.

RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users