NOT Integration

8 replies to this topic

#1 jedidove

jedidove

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:27 AM

Hey guys,

The Backstory for those with time, interest, concern, etc.

It's been awhile since I last did anything nerf related, and that was a first time mod fest with my friend. I did the works on a NF back then: tape under O-ring, remove restrictors, seal release valves, awesome new spring from ACE hardware, chopped off light and whatnot, and added a cpvc barrel (I think that sums it up). The usual. It was hard to pull back, and could leave a welt up close. Great stuff. Then one day I pull back the loading pull and SNAP the plunger flies forward and the loading pull pulls completely out. This spring was just that wicked. I figure I have to go back in there, cut out the glue, rescrew/glue the pull to the plunger, and seal it all back up. If anyone has any comments on that feel free to share, but I think that's basically the only thing to do without buying a new one.

I'm the president of a physics club at my uni and the other day, coincidentally me and my advisor independently mentioned the idea of a rest-of-the-semester-long game of assassins to the vice pres. He loved the idea, so we are going to put it in action. I've never played, but my strategy is to get the smallest most concealable gun possible, and stay as close as possible for shots (which seems to be the smartest idea in this sort of game). I'd just place a dart by hand if I'm given the choice. So, I picked up a Secret Strike AS-1 last night and took off the case. I actually think its fine stock. it has enough range to do what it has to do, and any further shots would probably be a waste/risk and identity give-away-er. Plus, being a nerf noob, the chances of me missing a longer range shot are higher, and if I do, bye-bye chance of winning. Any comments on using the SSPB/AS-1 in assassins are welcome.

By the end of the game, I might need some range since people will know who's left and will be staying far away. So I figured I'd fix and keep my old NF in my bag.

Anyhow...this got me thinking about getting another sspb and......

The Punchline, if tldr skip to here

I've done my searching and I find a lot of NF+SSPB integrations, two guns in one. But what about a combination of the firing systems? My idea is to take a SSPB, chop off everything except for the pump and air system, put the pump in the handle of the NF, and glue a hose from the air system to the chamber of the NF. Then, ideally I'd like to figure out the timing required and link the triggers so that the NF trigger fires the spring and the air system.

If you only pull the spring, the air system won't do anything, and the gun is just a NF (good for typically quick NF needs). If you only pump the air, but don't pull the spring, only the air would fire so it would be like a modded SSPB in a NF casing (not terribly useful, but maybe something interesting). BUT if you have the time to, you can pump up the air, AND pull the spring and when you shoot BOTH will go. If my stats are right modded NF's get upwards of 60-80ft, modded SSPB's get upwards of 40-70ft, so if it's timed well and with a little bit of miracle maybe this system could get 70-100ft.

The other option is to keep the triggering systems separate (drill a hole somewhere for SSPB trigger) so that you can control the timing of the air/spring triggering manually. Since it may well be a very delicate timing.

Has this or similar things been done? Do you think it's possible? Do you think it would get good range? I'd love to hear anyones thoughts on the idea.

Edited by jedidove, 19 October 2010 - 09:38 AM.

#2 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:06 AM

So... you want to combine the power of a SSPB and a NF for one long range shot? To be realistic, that's not going to happen. You should just get an at2k and single it if you are looking a for a long range shot, you can even put the tank and pump in your nitefinder shell with some work.

#3 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 823 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:32 AM

If you really want to try it as a sideproject, then go for it. I personally doubt being able to make it work properly, though.

However, if i was going to try it, I'd be using a Hornet tank and blast button, not an SSPB. Make it so that you could press the button with the trigger if placed properly. Possibly have the hornet tank where the light is, and have it feed into the barrel right after the plunger tube, but before where the dart sits?

There are issues even with that setup, but it'd be worth a shot.

#4 lionhawk

lionhawk

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:35 PM

That is an interesting idea. But like buffdaddy said, it might not work properly. Say the spring floods the air faster than the tank. It would probably result in just a regular nf range with an annoying sound after it. If you get it to work properly, props to you.

#5 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts
  • State:Delaware

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

Rather than buy a SSPB, why not just buy another NF and make a nitefinder rifle, or even try something like this?

You idea isn't bad, it just requires a timing that would be difficult to achieve for an unknown increase in performance.
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#6 Whisper101

Whisper101

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

I like this idea, and I don't beleive that it's been done before. For $15 you can go out and buy both guns. It's not a huge loss if you screw 'em both up. You could most likely still use the NF and even if it did not work you could report your findings to the community.

#7 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:08 PM

I can't remember for sure, but I think there was a hornet mod that tried doing this idea with the hornet tanks going to one barrel. If I remember correctly, the range was pretty much the same as a normal hornet tank, around 100 ft.

#8 pjotrkuh

pjotrkuh

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:57 PM

Just some bob made an exellent remark,
the only downside I see is getting a decent seal between pump and hornet chamber.........
When the shit hits the fan, you'd better wear a rain coat.....

#9 jedidove

jedidove

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys. It wouldn't be expensive to try so I may just give it a go. I just barreled my as-1 and I'm very happy with the results, without any tank plugging. So the little guy does have some kick. When I get to it will come down to free time and or necessity. Right now I'll be focused on the assassin game which it seems like my current line up can handle beautifully, not to mention a maxed out course load.

I might try to test it out with the sspb hanging outside the nf, that way I can easily try different timings, but I'm worried about the complications of the hose length from sspb to nf chamber. I'm a little surprised that I didn't get a "it's been done" reply. So maybe that's a sign that it won't work. But for the cost it'll be worth the a shot. The convenience of a springer when necessary and the added power from a pump when pumping is possible is what I think the ideal gun would be.

@buffdaddy: do you really think the hornet internals will fit with the nf internals too? I was having doubts about the sspb, but I don't have much experience with this stuff.

@lionhawk: another related issue I'm worried about is the possibility of the spring pushing air into the hose instead of only the barrel. Although that effect may be negligible.

@blue: even having something the size of a nf that had the option of strictly pumping for 100+ feet or springing for typical nf 70+ would probably be a damn useful pistol.

@just some bob: That sounds very slick. Though I think the portability of a chopped down nf would be out of the question. Still an interesting idea in and of itself. Also, am I breaking a rule by posting questions about mod ideas here? If so I'm really sorry. I didn't realize it was for strictly results (is it?).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users