Photo

Need Some Clip Blaster 10 Advice

9 replies to this topic

#1 ArmyOfNone

ArmyOfNone

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:09 PM

Was browsing the Mod Directory the other day and realized there aren't any mods for the Buzz Bee Clip Blaster 10, so I figured I'd tinker a bit with mine and see if anything would come of it.

Pulled out the AR with pliers and Dremeled it down to a hole, then decided to do a CPVC barrel-replacement and just shaved the original "barrel" off where it meets the plunger and Dremeled out the plunger front until a ~2" piece of 0.5" CPVC could squeeze inside, back end level with the plunger head and front end level with the trailing edge of the magazine (which I Dremeled out to accommodate the slightly-longer streamlines). Sharpened the leading edge of the CPVC, just like the original barrel, and cut a notch at the top to help in dart separation.

Original Barrel:

Posted Image

CPVC Barrel:

Posted Image

After all this, I'm still getting flat ranges in the low 30's, almost the same as having ARs in and original barrel materials - it'll load standards and streamlines equally well, but just kinda pop them out the end, no real oomph. I know it should do better, 'cause I originally had a 6-inch barrel attached to test the material's suitability, and it practically put a streamline through the wall (which makes singling it very tempting, but I want to try and keep the magazine function, if at all feasible).

Any advice? If you need a picture of the whole gun, check out this thread: Clip Blaster Internals

#2 dodobeam

dodobeam

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:07 AM

First off this was not shooting through the wall unless it is made out of tissue paper. Secondly streamlines are a little to long for the clip that might be your problem.
Learn to read!

#3 debandgeek12

debandgeek12

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

First off this was not shooting through the wall unless it is made out of tissue paper. Secondly streamlines are a little to long for the clip that might be your problem.

I assume that by "practically put a streamline through a wall" he means that it made a very loud noise when it hit the wall. On the streamline note, yes.
It's time to pretend.

mysterio
the leaking was all in the bladder

Yay, the IRC.

#4 dodobeam

dodobeam

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

I assume that by "practically put a streamline through a wall" he means that it made a very loud noise when it hit the wall. On the streamline note, yes.

I know but when I singled mine it would not go through paper with stefans let alone streamlines.

Edited by dodobeam, 10 October 2010 - 12:27 PM.

Learn to read!

#5 ArmyOfNone

ArmyOfNone

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:17 PM

Secondly streamlines are a little to long for the clip that might be your problem.

I dremeled out the little spacer in the back of the magazine, it actually fits streamlines just fine now, no cutting required:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Focused on streamlines 'cause that's what local wars use as community ammo, seemed easiest to accommodate for.

I know but when I singled mine it would not go through paper with stefans let alone streamlines.

Oh, you singled yours? What ranges did you end up getting, with what sort of darts?

#6 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:19 PM

It doesn't look like the plunger tube is very big to begin with. I don't see how you could get much more than 60' out of it, but I may just be scaling the internals wrong.

Also, under the internal pics in the link you provided, BadWrench mentions that the peg that was in the original barrel might serve to align the dart correctly.

The only other thing I could think of would be the dart and barrel fit. As someone, who uses cpvc a lot, I find that it's particularly tight on stock darts. The friction between your barrel and the streamlines could be killing you ranges.
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#7 jerm78

jerm78

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:01 PM

Same problem I had with the Buzz Bee Hunter, all the modding I did and the ranges never really increased. Did you make sure you got a good seal around the cpvc? Other than that cool mod.

#8 Brutal 770

Brutal 770

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:40 PM

Well buzzbee guns are relatively weak so try using a thinner barrel like brass or petg. Also if you were to improve the seal of the gun and add an extra spring to it it will most likely help your ranges a bit.
It's an injection attack against this version of IPB. We'll be down intermittently while I upgrade the site.

If I put ads on NerfHaven you'll know it. They'll be for drugs... and hookers... and duct tape.

By Cxwq

#9 Phree Agent

Phree Agent

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:41 PM

I would bet that your barrel is just too tight and there is not enough air generated by that small of a plunger tube.

#10 ArmyOfNone

ArmyOfNone

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:57 AM

Wow, thanks everyone for all the great feedback!

Tried some various-sized stephans, and one with the diameter of a stock dart but half the length flew ~40 feet (certain distance unknown because it hit the wall, and it's too dark outside to do range tests). So I guess it was the barrel material creating friction after all. It also probably didn't help that the barrel was being held in with e-tape and not glued, but I had a feeling I might want to change barrels...and a better seal later on can only help ranges.

So it looks like some brass or petg of that same length would do the trick, just gotta get my hands on some - that, and maybe an extra spring, just to see how it performs. If the barrel change works out, I'll be sure to post it! Thanks again!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users