Photo

Help With Stampede?

Lost a peice...I actually think it's been eaten...

15 replies to this topic

#1 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:44 PM

Posted Image

The circled piece will probably turn up when the dog pushes out it's morning glory, and will most likely be chewed up and inoperable, so I am looking for a replacement or ideas on what to do here. Any and all input is welcome. Hasbro replacement part support probably doesn't want to hear that I have taken their blaster apart, so that's out of the question.

Edited by themessiahpsg1, 30 September 2010 - 11:46 PM.

OIC of 34th Light Combat Battalion, Talk to me about enlistment.

#2 ZimZam93

ZimZam93

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:17 PM

Im not very creative so here are my two suggestions, buy a new gun or try and manufacture an identical peice out of plastic, sorry for the vaugness ive never worked with plastic before, but i do know many of the members have, so they might have more helpful insight. good luck!
Become Legendary

Everyone knew it would suck...we just didn't know it would suck this much

#3 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:35 PM

...And all they really need to do is post. :D

#4 kidame tomanaka

kidame tomanaka

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

make a request for someone to machine it for you.

FLY #YOLOBOW FLY!
Wars Attended: NENO-CT 1-13 APOC -NJ13' 14' 15' 16' Frozen Foam-NY 15' Plains- PA. 15'

#5 CRS260

CRS260

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:39 PM

It probably wouldn't be very hard to create a replacement part yourself; that part looks pretty simple based on the picture. The hardest thing is getting dimensions for the part since you probably didn't measure it before it got lost. Your best bet is to find someone else who owns a Stampede (either here or locally) to provide you with the part dimensions. If that doesn't work out, get the dimensions of what the part was originally attached to (and how it fits in with everything else) and work off that.

You should check if that part is even necessary to operate the gun. It's possible that the part is a redundant safety mechanism that you won't need like the magazine-lock or the boltsled-lock on the Longshot.

#6 NerfHunter03

NerfHunter03

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:44 PM

[...stuff...]

You should check if that part is even necessary to operate the gun. It's possible that the part is a redundant safety mechanism that you won't need like the magazine-lock or the boltsled-lock on the Longshot.

I can say for sure it IS necessary, as it is the piece that the spring pushes against in order to drive the plunger rod down the tube.
BritNerfMogul:
We should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them...

#7 CRS260

CRS260

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:52 PM

I can say for sure it IS necessary, as it is the piece that the spring pushes against in order to drive the plunger rod down the tube.

Is that all it does? It should be very easy to replace then. It looks like that part has its own recess in the shell that it fits into. If you can cut a piece of wood or plastic to fit that recess you probably won't even have to bother with making screw holes and tapping to attach to the plunger tube. Then just put a hole through the wood or plastic that is just small enough to prevent the spring from sliding through (but allows the plunger rod to slide through of course).

It's essentially just a chunk of plastic with a specific sized hole going through it.

#8 Nerfan

Nerfan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:07 AM

If you can cut a piece of wood or plastic to fit that recess you probably won't even have to bother with making screw holes and tapping to attach to the plunger tube.

Actually, from what I can tell, it needs to be attached to the plunger tube in order to be able to push the spring forward. The plunger tube pulls that forward, which also pulls the spring forward, and when it's at the front, the catch releases the plunger rod. Without that piece being screwed in place, the spring won't be compressed, and the plunger rod won't have any power.

#9 CRS260

CRS260

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

If the plunger tube is moving (instead of the plunger rod) making this part is going to be more difficult. As a moving part, it probably has more definite size constraints.

I would probably build a new part out of wood since I don't have plastic material thick enough to compress the spring safely. It would be a thick donut shape with two nubs coming off the sides for the screw. Alternatively, you can try to find a steel washer that is the right size. Put two holes right through the washer on either side and just screw through those.

#10 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:21 AM

I wish it were that simple and that I had the tools and time to fully experiment with this.

Just screwing a washer onto it might work, but I'd have to cut it to not exceed the diameter of the chamber in any direction...I wish I had more than a dremel to work with. I believe, the piece was 1/4" thick, including the rubber stop on the catch side. I'll see what I can come up with.

Oh, and by the way, I'll be piping 19.2 volts through it's 6 volt motor when this is finished. Wish me luck.

#11 Salindin Naz

Salindin Naz

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:07 PM

The easiest (and more than likely least dependable) way of addressing your most paramount conundrum would be to take two small strips of some kind of material (metal or polycarb) and drill a screw hole into the ends of each, and put them in at an angle so as to catch the spring as it compresses, but also allow the plunger rod to pass through. I, however, would in no way recommend doing this.
Alternatively, you could always do something like this combined with what CRS260 suggested and find a steel washer of adequate dimensions, using the two strips from my previous suggestion, but I would also not recommend doing this, as it would still be a very iffy way of fixing your problem.
The only way you could properly address your missing piece would be to either get a stock replacement, or make one for your self from a sheet of 1/4" polycarbonate. What I would recommend doing (as you most likely do not have the proper equipment to correctly machine a new part) is using a hole cutter of an appropriate diameter to encompass the screw hols and guide rail at the bottom of the peace. Then using your rotary tool attempt to machine the round peace into a somewhat comparable replacement, that would have your two screw posts, as well as the bottom guide rail. Then you would have to find the correct placement of the plunger rod guide in the center of your piece and cut that in. Finally, you may want to place a pad of some kind at the back of your new piece to simulate the white rubber washer at the back of the stock piece, as this is more than likely a cushion for the rapidly moving plunger tube, an o-ring may even work.
And ramping up the voltage that much would probably be an utter disaster without a very good solution to your problem.
Or you could just go and buy a new blaster and sell that one off for parts.

Salindin

#12 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:25 PM

That's the post damn post I've ever read...

...but money doesn't grow on trees. Yeah, it's only fifty, but I can't spare that.

Who could machine me one of these and how much?

#13 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:22 AM

Well, after watching his shit closely over the past few days, the missing piece has turned up MIRACULOUSLY intact.

Thank you, everybody, for your input.

#14 KitAdrian

KitAdrian

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:50 AM

hahaha, oh man, I hope you wash it thoroughly before putting it back in your blaster.

Of course, now you have a name for the thing:

The Poopshoot

#15 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

Buy another gun, open it up, take the part you need out, stuff $3 into the gun, reassemble it, return it to the store, tell them it doesn't work and they'll ship it back to Hasbro. At which point they'll most likely throw it away, but at least you payed for your part. Haha.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#16 Coop

Coop

#sogoodmuchtacticswowinit2winit360noscopehax0rleetbeastmodeactiv

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:03 PM

Buy another gun, open it up, take the part you need out, stuff $3 into the gun, reassemble it, return it to the store, tell them it doesn't work and they'll ship it back to Hasbro. At which point they'll most likely throw it away, but at least you payed for your part. Haha.

Ideas that suggest stealing should not be posted on the internetz. Kids will read your idea and actually do it. Even though most people know this is incredibly easy, you should not put it in the kids' minds that are not aware of this system. It doesn't matter that YOU pay for the part, Hasbro will have to pay for the entire blaster just because you were too much of a cheap-ass to replace your part in a fair manner.

On the other hand, the guy who posted before me used the word 'fuck' a lot so he probably knows what he's talking about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users