Photo

Big Bad Bow, Rapid Fire20, Rapid Fire20

35 replies to this topic

#1 catmods

catmods

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:12 PM

First off, I would like to apologize for my rough start here on the 'Haven. Please note, that originally, I made this during the contest, but lacked the necessary equipment to do a write up (camera). Please note that this is my first write up, but with our great community, that wont matter. Let's begin.

Posted Image

This is my primary. You will need the following if you wish to complete it.
Tools
Screw drivers
Drill
Fishing wire (at least 10 pound test) Various drill bits.
Pipe cutters

parts
x1 Big Bad Bow (we will refer to it as the 3b for the remainder of the write up.)
x2 Rapid Fire 20 (they will be called A and B.)
x3 screws, about 1 inch long. You need Matching nuts.
x1 3 inch log screw, with a matching nut.
(All NEED to be machine screws, wood screws wont work)
x1 ½ coupler
PLENTY of your favorite barrel material.
Extra spring (for 3b)

Posted Image

First off, open up the guns. Start with the 3b. I have found it useful to tape the outer catch in place on the 3b. This prevents them from annoying you to death closing up the gun. Remove the 3b air restrictor.

Posted Image

Use a dremel (or in my case, gardening shears) to cut off the original 3b barrel. Also, cut out the center of the white thing. Shove some cpvc in there, and fill with hot glue until the white thing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Take apart the rf20. The first one will be called A. Do whatever mods to A you want. Use the directory. Drill 2 small holes in the shell of A. (the same side that holds the internals) run some fishing wire through the holes (it must be end with the ends outside of the shell.) tie a knot. One end must be long, the other short. Drill a hole in the orange rate of fire selector. Tie the long end of the wire into it. Cut the excess wire. If done correctly, it will allow you to change the rate of fire on A. B, however, won’t have this feature. Place one part of the 3b shell on the other half of A’s shell. Drill two holes. Put the small screws through, and tighten the nut really tight.
Put A together, and close it up. You are now 1/3 done. Good job.
Open B up. Remove the internals and mod as you please. Drill a hole through the shell into the 3b shell. As before, make sure your drill bit is smaller than your screw head. When I drilled I removed the internals.

Posted Image

Drill a hole through B to A. (Be REALLY careful not to hit the internals.) Put B together and close it up. 2/3 done. Here is the hard part. Put the 3b internals in, and close it up. It should look like the first picture.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A's barrels are not straight. It's harder to dodge a wall than a laser.

Every great nerf gun has its own name. The Doomsayer is one of them. I call this Giygas, based on the final boss of earthbound

Questions, Comments or Flames?

Edited by catmods, 21 January 2010 - 08:43 PM.

"Don't worry I'll just close it. Your gun sucks." - Talio

#2 Zachfrog

Zachfrog

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:16 PM

Holy clusterfuck! Nice. What kind of ranges do you get?
QUOTE(Lion @ Jun 11 2010, 03:19 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 11 2010, 04:44 PM) View Post

They didn't have monitors in 1920.

They did, They just called them Windows back then though.

#3 catmods

catmods

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

Holy clusterfuck! Nice. What kind of ranges do you get?

The bbb gets between 70-80, A gets 30-50, B gets 30-40. I am planning to replace the pump and tanks. 60 pumps is to much.

#4 alberty

alberty

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

Would you be able to add on a breech to the BBB or clip-swapping to the 2 RF20's?

I'm not implying that this isn't powerful enough already, but I feel those would give you extra reloading speed in usage--of course it's your mod, and you do it how you see fit. As it is, I guess the combination of long-range and rapid-fire could be good enough.

And what are those cut up arrows in the BBB's arrow holders for?

Edited by alberty, 20 January 2010 - 07:42 PM.

#5 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

Looks um... Whats the word I'm looking for? Ah yes... HEAVY. Can you fire both rf20's with one hand? comfortably?
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#6 CA13

CA13

Nude Nerfer

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:52 PM

This is great. I don't understand the jumble at the top, but the dual RF20's are pretty awesome. You should swap that coupler for an RSCB on the badass bow.

You maybe could modify this more, over-banding one RF20 so you can have a medium range volley, while keeping the other RF20 as your holdout.

The wind speed calculator and stuff: probably useless. Not to be mean, but no matter how hard you try at calibrating that sight for the curve in you barrels, the barrel would shift into another position. I do enjoy the creativity.

Your paint job is actually the coolest I've seen for a first gun. Running plastic over with smudges of black sharpie is actually worse than making a macaroni picture on construction paper. Now that I think of it, macaroni glued to a blaster would be way cooler than some faux camouflage /shade of gray.
Doing this as I speak. I have no idea when I got it...my DAD got it some 15 years ago, but that doesn't matter. Anyways, it keeps jerking around all over the place. I try to hold it with a rag...It doesn't look like...much.

#7 catmods

catmods

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:53 PM

Looks um... Whats the word I'm looking for? Ah yes... HEAVY. Can you fire both rf20's with one hand? comfortably?

Surprisingly, it is not as heavy as it looks. No, both can not be fired one handed. ( 20 full-auto shots are already overkill against what most of the haven uses.) Yes, it is quite comfortable.

Would you be able to add on a breech to the BBB or clip-swapping to the 2 RF20's?

I'm not implying that this isn't powerful enough already, but I feel those would give you extra reloading speed in usage--of course it's your mod, and you do it how you see fit. As it is, I guess the combination of long-range and rapid-fire could be good enough.

Unfortunately, brass is scarce here, so I lack the materials to breech the bow. Clip modifying the rf20s could be done, but I don't want to carry around extra drums. Giygas is big, and carrying around spare drums on belt loops slow you down. Giygas is a rushing foam gun, (after taking a pot shot with the bbb) it is devastating to kill squads of enemies with both rf20s blaring. Sure, i would get shot, but after taking out 3 guys, my team would have an advantage.

#8 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

It might just be me, but that coupler on the BBB on the first picture looks really crooked.

industrial designer

#9 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:59 PM

Sorry. On my computer, my post did not come up.

Edited by Spud Spudoni, 20 January 2010 - 08:01 PM.

industrial designer

#10 catmods

catmods

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:08 PM

This is great. I don't understand the jumble at the top, but the dual RF20's are pretty awesome. You should swap that coupler for an RSCB on the badass bow.

You maybe could modify this more, over-banding one RF20 so you can have a medium range volley, while keeping the other RF20 as your holdout.

The wind speed calculator and stuff: probably useless. Not to be mean, but no matter how hard you try at calibrating that sight for the curve in you barrels, the barrel would shift into another position. I do enjoy the creativity.

Your paint job is actually the coolest I've seen for a first gun. Running plastic over with smudges of black sharpie is actually worse than making a macaroni picture on construction paper. Now that I think of it, macaroni glued to a blaster would be way cooler than some faux camouflage /shade of gray.

1.The "jumble at the top" is actually a 1/2cpvc endcap, with speed loaders loaded. the big one is a 6 dart 6 inch speedloader, bringing the guns total ammo storage to 59. Next time I go to lowes, Im building an rscb.

2.Good idea, but rf20s lack the accuracy to do that. I dont want to pick up 20 darts that missed the enemy.

3.Yes, but I still want to be a better marksman. I am training so I can ( Eventually) go to the air force, and they test you with pistols. Every bit of practice helps.

4. It is 100% spray paint. I cut a design out on a piece of paper, than sprayed over it. The design on inclines ( like the scope) gets killed, but on flat surfaces, (like the rf20), it looks nice.

#11 catmods

catmods

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

It might just be me, but that coupler on the BBB on the first picture looks really crooked.

It was the camera. I find that it is really accurate.

#12 Pearson2

Pearson2

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

Dear god, what has science done?
Crooked: Did you see that guy who singled a doomsayer?

Pearson: Why would you single a doomsayer? Thats like taking a Ferarri and putting family seating in it.

#13 catmods

catmods

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

And what are those cut up arrows in the BBB's arrow holders for?

If you look closely, you will also see a screw up there, along with velcro. This was there so that I could mount my video camera up there. ( The camera only takes video.) Upon watching, however, I realized that the gun position for a camera is too shaky ( taking a step would result in an earthquake effect). So, to record wars, I modified my old dirt bike helmet. But, now I have an accurate, comfortable and intimidating hand position by holding the bow and velcro.

#14 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:49 PM

That it the most awesome clusterfuck ever. How do you aim the bow? If you have it angled like that, why not put a missle on it or shotgun load the barrel?

#15 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:58 PM

very fucking cool. Nice post, nice mod.
My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

#16 catmods

catmods

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

That it the most awesome clusterfuck ever. How do you aim the bow? If you have it angled like that, why not put a missle on it or shotgun load the barrel?

Left hand holds the scope to the eye, right hand holds rf20 pumps ( not handles, the actual pump ) from underneath, kind of locking the right elbow against your stomach, which makes for a stable platform. Depending on the given situation, I will either hold B with right hand, and pump handles with left, or both rf20s. the bbb serves more as a loser rifle ( long, often shoots enemy rifles ) so, it doesn't get used to much. But, thats the glory of the whole thing. It can hold up to 4 barrels for the bbb, so sometimes Ill slap on the 3 inch speed loader, loaded with 5 1/2 "shards". I would like to take this up to one of the bigger wars in California or Colarado. Presently, my wars consist of 4-10 people, so often we have 3 hit rounds. 1/2 cpvc couplers can fire arrows.

#17 Dude13

Dude13

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:17 PM

Why not make the 2 RF-20's into an "Eyes of Fire" It would eliminate the time spent pumping 2 separate RF20's. Other than that, It looks horribly awesome.

#18 catmods

catmods

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:24 PM

Why not make the 2 RF-20's into an "Eyes of Fire" It would eliminate the time spent pumping 2 separate RF20's. Other than that, It looks horribly awesome.

I dont have the money to get air tanks, and i dont want to have a back pack. I have to save any money I get anyway.

#19 C-A 99

C-A 99

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:30 PM

Marksmanship with real weaponry is much different than with Nerf and shooting around a toy gun is probably not going to help. (Air guns, BB guns, etc. would at least be better; long distance aiming is about being steady and lining up sights, and less on intuition which Nerf is based on.)

The whole thing looks awkward to handle and fire. The RF20 pumps appear to get in the way of one's pumping hand, and once a gun is used, it becomes dead weight until it's reloaded. Interesting assembly nonetheless, but how well does it work on the field?

#20 catmods

catmods

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:47 PM

Marksmanship with real weaponry is much different than with Nerf and shooting around a toy gun is probably not going to help. (Air guns, BB guns, etc. would at least be better; long distance aiming is about being steady and lining up sights, and less on intuition which Nerf is based on.)

The whole thing looks awkward to handle and fire. The RF20 pumps appear to get in the way of one's pumping hand, and once a gun is used, it becomes dead weight until it's reloaded. Interesting assembly nonetheless, but how well does it work on the field?

1. Of course. The only thing to raise marksmanship is actually practice. Nerf aims down, bbs aim up.

2. I was hoping some one would ask. It is slightly awkward, but, like any primary, a little practice goes a long way. The rf20 are so close to eachother so I can get a few pumps on each before having to switch to pumping one gun. As for the field, I have never seen anything better, at least for me, it is devastating. I have tried several strategies to using Giygas effectively, the best 2 Ive noticed is a pot shot from the bbb, then a rush with the rf20s. The other one is to hide behinde a wall until the enemy comes by, getting them with rf20s and running before his team gets me. kind of cowardice, but when its 3-1, it is very useful. Pump action shotguns hurt.

#21 Vinnie D

Vinnie D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:11 PM

I'd suggest a quick cheap way to improve that would be to link those two pumps on the RF20's. A short length of pipe or maybe a T coupler so you can attach a central handle would allow you to pump both at once. Though if you've plugged the OPVs on them you'll have to expend both before repumping, but it might be worth it for half the pumping time.

If you connect the two bladders to one another via an additional tube, then you could eliminate that problem as well since overflow from one tank would just run back into the tank with less air.

#22 Vengeful Waffle

Vengeful Waffle

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:52 PM

I'd like to see this up here in Colorado. It looks like oodles of fun.
I'm a runner, and I like to run.

[18:46] <+Famine> With the cock ring coming out the back of it?

#23 alberty

alberty

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:10 AM

Do you think you could make a demonstration video of this? I would like to see all of this work in action!

#24 King of FUPA

King of FUPA

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:16 AM

It looks like it'd be awkward to use your first couple of times and it seems like sort of a pain to lug around the field but holy pen caps! That is one badass gun. This is pushing the non-existing limit of "too much firepower."
Mecha-BBB with integrated nitefinder with integrated pump gun is on it's way!

#25 catmods

catmods

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:02 AM

I'd suggest a quick cheap way to improve that would be to link those two pumps on the RF20's. A short length of pipe or maybe a T coupler so you can attach a central handle would allow you to pump both at once. Though if you've plugged the OPVs on them you'll have to expend both before repumping, but it might be worth it for half the pumping time.

If you connect the two bladders to one another via an additional tube, then you could eliminate that problem as well since overflow from one tank would just run back into the tank with less air.

Im going to get a dual action bike pump. It will connect to the rf20s so it will pump both up, cutting pumping time dramatically.

I'd like to see this up here in Colorado. It looks like oodles of fun.

It is. Giygas lives up to its name when flinging foam. "You can not grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!" - Earthbound

Do you think you could make a demonstration video of this? I would like to see all of this work in action!

Alright. Although I lack editing software to make it Angel quality. I've been looking for an excuse to use my modified helmet.

It looks like it'd be awkward to use your first couple of times and it seems like sort of a pain to lug around the field but holy pen caps! That is one badass gun. This is pushing the non-existing limit of "too much firepower."

Many guns are awkward to use the first few times. The rf20 is already really awkward to handle, stock. Of course, it is easy to build, houses much fire power, and you can take off the rf20s to let your friends use, and for that sole reason I think Giygas is beastly. You can mount any thing on the bbb, hornets, at2ks, even longshots and crossbows. You can mount anything that has a shell to it. You can even mount your crossbow with integrated gerbil on a string to it. The only time there can be too much fire power is when a b-52 with 12 mounted turrets on it that boasts 3 m1a1 tank cannons gets a nuke.

Bahaha! That's just awesome. Great job! My favorite thing about this monster is the incredible and awesome randomness. Your choice of rebarreling the RF20s, that mass of CPVC sticking out of the top (speedloader or TV antenna?), and just how "ready for anything and everything" it seems. Only thing left to do is to slap some Big salvos on the ammo holders like in B00m's mod. Oh, yes Uber, also the Dakka. The Dakka plays.

It is 1/2 inch cpvc endcaps holding speed loaders. You never know what the enemy will come at you with, do you? The bow takes out fully auto guns ( which, in general, lack range). and rf20s takes out the enemy L.O.S.E.R.s. Yes, the Dakka shows. Now if only I could get a big salvo...

Edited by catmods, 21 January 2010 - 08:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users