Photo

Brassed Barrel Break

10 replies to this topic

#1 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:40 PM

I didn't finish, but you should get the point. With no glue, I was getting 25 or so feet flat with the one barrel, which is pretty disappointing since I was getting 30 easy with an Ar removal. Anyways, to do this mod you take out all the stuff inside the faux barrels and then stick in brass, I used 17/32 for the barrel and 9/16 for the sealer. The barrels do need some sanding before the 9/16 will fit in them, but it's not too bad.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

All I used to center the barrel was electrical tape. I think that what might be happening is the electrical tape wad pushes the 9/16 back out the original barrel so that the plunger tube hits the brass, losing a lot of pressure and hurting the gun. I would cut the 9/16 shorter if I did this again, you only need like a quarter of an inch to make a seal with the brass.
Posted Image

And here is a link to the album where I show a lot more pics of cutting out the stuff in the faux barrels and other small stuff: Link

#2 ZimZam93

ZimZam93

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:26 PM

so your rages got worse with the brass? interesting
Become Legendary

Everyone knew it would suck...we just didn't know it would suck this much

#3 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:47 PM

so your rages got worse with the brass? interesting

Yeah, just from testing it out. I only used E-tape to seal the 9/16 in so it's not airtight, and I am still unsure if the E-tape holding in the 17/32 is pushing the 9/16 back. I was hoping someone else had tried something similar, because I know the barrel break should be able to hit 50 flat.

#4 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

So both brass pieces are connecting when you prime the blaster?

How do you load the darts? Do you put them in the brass that's inside the faux barrel?

If you are loading your darts that way, I think dead space is what's killing your ranges.
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#5 soccerbeast003

soccerbeast003

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:49 PM

This gun isn't like a double shot. The barrels actually push back to create the seal. Watch and video on it and you'll see, it's not deadspace....maybe your barrels are too long?
Christine Everheart: You've been called the Da Vinci of our time. What do you say to that?

Tony Stark: Absolutely ridiculous. I don't paint.

#6 Cyphre

Cyphre

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:54 PM

I'm not quite sure I understand how this is loaded. Doesn't seem like you would gain much of anything with a brass barrel since the stock tubes fit darts pretty snugly and airtight.

#7 soccerbeast003

soccerbeast003

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:21 AM

He is using stefans. That's why.
Christine Everheart: You've been called the Da Vinci of our time. What do you say to that?

Tony Stark: Absolutely ridiculous. I don't paint.

#8 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:42 PM

I'm not quite sure I understand how this is loaded. Doesn't seem like you would gain much of anything with a brass barrel since the stock tubes fit darts pretty snugly and airtight.

Soccer is right, I wanted to shoot stefans. With streamlines I can get better ranges but the odds of hitting anything is pretty low. I could have used thicker stefans, but the stefans I use do not have a good fit in the stock barrels... I might mess around with this some more some time later.

As far as dead space goes, that might be the issue, I might push the brass farther out and cut slots in the shell so it can swing more. Barrel length is definitely a possible issue too, I used four inches of 17/32.

#9 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:35 PM

This gun isn't like a double shot. The barrels actually push back to create the seal. Watch and video on it and you'll see, it's not deadspace....maybe your barrels are too long?

I completely forgot that the barrels push in. Still, I don't see how the brass in the faux barrel could slide in far enough to completely eliminate deadspace. It's an issue but, in retrospect, probably not what's responsible for your low ranges. Belay that. Just looked at mine, and deadspace should be a nearly nonexistent factor.

I would guess that it's the barrel length. I would try stronger springs and possibly a powerstock, before you shorten the barrels.

Edited by durka durka, 16 September 2010 - 05:37 PM.

"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#10 Cyphre

Cyphre

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:10 PM

If you're aiming for stefan usage, you're better off either removing the front barrels altogether, or detaching the hinging portion to cock the gun without having to move the barrels.

Are you simply inserting stefans into the rear barrels ready to go? Doesn't seem like you'd need anything modified beyond the seal between the barrels and plungers

#11 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:44 AM

its probably dart fit. Or rather more specifically drag on the dart. Brass with some darts creates a rediculous amount of drag and don't perform well. How well do your stefans perform with other guns you have with brass barrels? Are these new darts or old broken in ones?
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users