Photo

Has Anyone Considered Making/using Sights?

37 replies to this topic

#1 Tigg

Tigg

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

Unless I have missed it when I poked around the various topics lately, I haven't seen anyone talk about using sights for improved accuracy. Why not?? If your gun is at least fairly consistent and its in overall good order, sights should prove helpful. I have used them with a modified nightfinder and a modified disk shooter with pretty great success. What do you guys think?
TIGG

#2 MindWarrior

MindWarrior

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:35 PM

Many don't because nerf is such a close range game that sights just don't seem necessary. Many hits are in the 50-80 range sometimes closer and occasionally farther. Just a line of sight down the barrel has been proven sufficient in the place of sights. But hey, if you like sights, use em.
QUOTE(Ryan201821 @ Jan 2 2010, 03:20 PM) View Post

Seriously, no penis pumps or dildos on your Nerf blasters.

REVOLUTION BABY!

#3 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

Pretty much. Nevermind it's not a new idea, many MANY people have put sights on their nerf blasters. But it doesn't improve accuracy as much as you think it does. It's a whole lot more important that you have a good dart/barrel fit for accuracy, then having nice sights.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#4 SerpentofSet

SerpentofSet

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:52 PM

People DO, put sights on their guns, but more often than not it's for cosmetic reasons. It depends if by "sight" you mean a couple circles of plastic, or a sight that actual has magnifying capabilities.

Bye.

Edited by SerpentofSet, 06 May 2010 - 06:07 PM.

Whenever I'm bored, I go onto NerfHaven and start reading the closed threads with a last post by VACC.

#5 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:09 PM

Nerf guns are not accurate enough to make use of sights. It's the truth. Same with paintball and airsoft, surprisingly.
My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

#6 jaybo1996

jaybo1996

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

They do, and some designs are much more effective than others. This is a design based on a grenade launcher's "Leaf Sight". It seems like it would be the most effective once you calibrate it to your gun.

Carrtoon's Ladder Sight
01:15 N9> The problem with nerfers: We're around plastic. Plastic contains estrogenic compounds, so we're more feminine than the rest of the world.

WTF, are you in Tony Stark's basement!?'

#7 Tigg

Tigg

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:15 PM

They do, and some designs are much more effective than others. This is a design based on a grenade launcher's "Leaf Sight". It seems like it would be the most effective once you calibrate it to your gun.

Carrtoon's Ladder Sight

hey, thanks, I had not thought of a ladder sight, that looks pretty cool.
TIGG

#8 jaybo1996

jaybo1996

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:17 PM

hey, thanks, I had not thought of a ladder sight, that looks pretty cool.

Your welcome, I found that in my days as a n00b, lurking in the stickied threads, and noticing there's a section for sights in the accessories directory.
01:15 N9> The problem with nerfers: We're around plastic. Plastic contains estrogenic compounds, so we're more feminine than the rest of the world.

WTF, are you in Tony Stark's basement!?'

#9 JATDO

JATDO

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:45 PM

As others have told you sighs aren't that useful, I just kind of aim for my guns.
But just in case you wanted to know when you make a + Bow it has built in sights, depending on how you make it.
I remember when some girl in my English 101 class in college tried to cite The Onion as a source for her paper. The teacher lol'd.
The only time I got hit was when my spotter got hit and the enemy team realized there was a marksman in the bushes

#10 Dude13

Dude13

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

Tactical Rails make for good sight planes as do thin metal washers.

#11 wardrive

wardrive

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:00 AM

Iron sights are all I've ever really needed, I use recommend a configuration similar toAR15 Iron Sights .
It's not called incompetence, We call it Leadership.

#12 Chadpuff

Chadpuff

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:44 AM

I use a red dot sight on my longshot and i figured out a way to "bore sight" it as it were.Its extremely accurate up to 50 feet
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." ...Han Solo

#13 Foam Ninja

Foam Ninja

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:57 PM

Forget using sights just run up and show no mercy! But seriously I found putting sights on blasters is just a waste of either hot glue or epoxy. Unless your puting them on a +bow or something that has been really proven to be accurate, there not needed.
QUOTE(Soothsayer @ Jul 18 2010, 03:51 PM) View Post

Still haven't beat Foam Ninja in a sword fight

1.The baby would blow up do to being made of pure fail.
2.I GIVE UP! I AM GETTING MY GAS ELSEWHERE!!
-Nerf Mafia

#14 Phibonnachee

Phibonnachee

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:34 PM

I either make an iron sight with some cpvc rings or just use the tactical rail by itself. But for the longshot I use the scope cause it looks cool and actually offers accurate aiming.

Edited by Phibonnachee, 07 May 2010 - 11:17 PM.

De-single your longshot Longshot --- 4B magazine breech BBBB

#15 LotusNerf

LotusNerf

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:55 PM

I don't think you really need to make sights. Most Nerf blasters have some "design" typed thing that are straight, and I just use those. The Maverick for example, has these straight bump things on the top of the blaster which you can use as sights. The Longshot on the other hand has a tactical rail. So many sights are built only for the use of aesthetic means, such as the FA24's Lancer.

#16 mbisc8

mbisc8

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:01 PM

I made a sight on my Longshot with the Tactical rail and the front sight of the Hornet. Then just for tacticoolness I added a ring of CPVC behind the Tactical rail.
I like things.

#17 firepie

firepie

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:20 AM

Well like just about everyone else said sights are really mostly for aesthetics ...

however I do have a hunting scope on one of my guns (which is in the Paint Job directory page 220 i believe) and I have a monocular that Ive attached to a nerf tactical rail accessory.
My guns are no where near powerful enough or accurate enough for these sights to be of any use in the way that sights would be used on actual guns, but I use them for the same reason most air softers use scopes which is for "spotting" people. I find that these help a lot mostly because when I've hosted nerf wars or had them with my friends we make the battle field rather large usually including a heavily wooded area, using my scopes during these battles has been extremely useful, I mean seriously its really nice to be able to see you enemy before they see you plus bringing a scope to your eye is a lot faster then putting your gun aside and having to rifle through you pockets to find a pair of binoculars.

I hope this helps

Edited by firepie, 27 September 2010 - 08:26 AM.

So it goes.

#18 Zack the Mack

Zack the Mack

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

Sights can come in handy if you can't aim down the barrel. I can't aim my Super Soaker Iron Man without the optics:
http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=20068

Posted Image
If you really want to be tacticool, airguns have less recoil and barrel climb than springers and will work better with scopes. You probably won't hit anything beyond 50 feet anyways, regardless of what's duct-taped to your gun.

Edit: GAH! Accidental necro!

Edited by Zack the Mack, 30 September 2010 - 10:26 AM.

Ask me questions about electronics, Arduino, and 3D printing

#19 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

Normally I would tell you all to fuck off and don't necro topics, but I've actually been doing some thinking about this lately. Now you guys are completely full of shit saying optics actually help because well...yeah, your full of shit. However, "iron sights" (for lack of a better term) may actually work. Here's the thing though. On real guns the sights run the length of the barrel. This way when you line them up you know the barrel is straight and what it is pointed at. Now alot of guns aren't 100% accurate, but it's okay...it's at least in the ball park and when it comes to shooting humans, especially when any hit would count, it could take out alot of the guess work or as someone much more creative then myself termed "aiming by zen". The problem with nerf guns is that almost 100% of the time none of the body actually consists of a barrel. If you have a standard PVC breech gun and you've got sights on the back and front of the gun as any normal gun would, you don't really know that the barrel is pointed in that direction. A PVC breech can be fickle and the barrel can be off just a little bit which would result in a pretty substantial difference at 70 feet. If your shot is a little off to the left it makes it very easy to dodge. But if you were to affix the rear and front sights to the barrel itself, it just might work. This is not something I have actually attempted, but it's an idea I've put alot of thought into.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#20 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:55 PM

I find that the majority of the guns that you'd want to be accurate with have some sort of built-in feature that can double as a sight, such as the RFDG or the LOTR Crossbow, anyway. The exception to this is the Airtech 2k, which has that really freaking annoying curved top.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#21 BustaDartInYOurAss

BustaDartInYOurAss

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:41 PM

I actually made the AR-15 sights on my PAS, Now i have had experience with using this iron sight and i can say that it does help to some extent, now this doesn't mean if you add a sight you can hit a moving target 100 feet way no problem, but it does add a "accuracy" to the gun. Maybe its just me, although i feel i can hit a target easier since there in my sight.

Also heres a photo of the sight i put on it, its a rather shotty picture but its rather hard to take a good one since i have to be so close.

Posted Image

Also heres a link so you can see how far apart they are on my gun... http://nerfhaven.com...ic=5250&st=3300

Edited by BustaDartInYOurAss, 27 September 2010 - 04:43 PM.

#22 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:47 PM

You have to note that there's a difference between accuracy and precision, though. Regardless of sights, what really needs to happen is you making the gun your baby for hours on end so you know how/where it shoots. If the barrel is crooked and shooting 7 feet to the right, adjust for that.

With only a couple exceptions (like Zack's awesomesauce Iron Man Super Soaker), sights are going to be far less useful than practice.

#23 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:05 PM

A few years back I put "sights" on a Blast Bazooka. It had a paper plate size grouping at about 100'. The sight was pretty basic, just another piece of CPVC fixed to the CPVC barrel. I thought about cutting out much of it, leaving a ring at the rear and front of the barrel but never got around to it. At the time my play-style almost never allowed for the time to line up a shot like that. I played fast pace nerf, as most people do, and if you take time to actually use a "sight" then you are probably going to get hit. But stick something on there (a piece of CPVC works pretty well) and try it out. At a war, you'll most likely find that looking down the barrel works just fine.

#24 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:31 PM

I've been using a sight for about a month now on my singled rfsg in which the CPVC speedloader acts as the front sight, it also indicates if the barrel is crooked in the coupler. I've personally found it practical up until about 90'.

The thing in it's entirety:

Posted Image

What my left eye would see:

Posted Image

What I see from my right eye when sighting up:

Posted Image
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#25 Fome

Fome

• Banned
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:48 PM

I've been using a cheapo airsoft red dot reflex site (shown below) from Amazon.com and I absolutely love it. There's other pretty inexpensive sights as well, but I can't vouch for their quality.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Reflex sites are actually pretty badass because you can adjust them to work with 2 eye target acquisition instead of 1 which is ideal for nerf because of the relatively low ranges and jumping and dodging typical of a nerf war.

Plus, it's tacticool.
Also, you can read about unmagnified reflex sights here to get an idea of why they're actually kinda viable in nerf.

Edited by Fome, 27 September 2010 - 07:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users