Photo

Quick Question about Unscrewing Blasters

11 replies to this topic

#1 kingjulien

kingjulien

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:34 PM

I have come to the conclusion that the general consensus of nerfers is to use normal, hand powered screw drivers. While this does work fine, what other options are there? Where can I find a good electric screw driver that won't be too powerful and strip screws or tear through the plastic? It is a bit of a pain opening blasters up and then screwing the back together repeatedly and I assume other people have had this trouble.

#2 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:22 PM

You could get a ratcheting screwdriver, but if they have changeable bits (which is common to make them cheaper), they probably won't be able to reach the screws. It's really not that bad if you can do all of your mods at once, even if that means leaving the blaster disassembled for days on end.

#3 chavez guy

chavez guy

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:26 PM

Going along with what Exo said, if you can be disciplined enough to only do one or two project(s) at a time and get everything done before closing up the blaster, then you are in good shape.
As far as screwdrivers I used to use an electric one, but it kept stripping my screws and it was too big. Just get a set of manual ones with big fat beefy comfy rubber/plastic grips.
Hablamos EspaƱol

#4 spencerak

spencerak

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:51 AM

If you are reassembling just to test, you really only need 3-4 screws in the blaster. An example of this is my Longshot that I am currently working on, To make sure I am happy with the longshot I onlt put 4 screws in the entire blaster while testing to make sure it worked well. When I was unhappy with it because I rapped too much E-tape on the plunger head, I was able to open the blaster in less than a minute to fix the problem.

Happy 2012!!! East coast Time Zone = we get to 2012 faster.

Holy shit it's Captain Slug.

#5 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:12 AM

I'm sure you could get a power driver or drill with adjustable torque and a very small driver bit that's long enough to reach those recessed screws, but I doubt anyone here does it that way. I think it's pretty universal that any modified nerf gun is going to end up with about a third of the screws you started with, and usually those that are anal enough to put them all back in place are the ones willing to do it by hand.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#6 ThatBritishGuy

ThatBritishGuy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:55 AM

I tried using an electric screwdriver for unscrewing large blasters especially the longshot, but i found that on the low torque setting it had trouble starting to move the screws out of their sockets and on higher torque settings it threaded them.

I've now settled for some hand turned screwdrivers that have large grip diameter compared to bit diameter so they are really easy to use to remove even screws with Thread-Lock on them.

Hope that helps.
My sales thread

Any Blaster mod or homemade that I post I can commission. Send me a PM on NerfHaven or BritNerf or email me by sam@lusher.org.uk

#7 The Nerfaholic

The Nerfaholic

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:21 AM

I'm with Langley on the drill and screw driver bit. So long as you have it on low power it works wonders. Though if it's just re assembling to test you could do the lazy method and tape your blaster together just to test.
Roses are red, And violets are blue. One day we'll cruise down Blood Gulch avenue.

#8 KatanasPWN

KatanasPWN

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

This is a bit off-topic, but do you guys usually put all of the screws back in your blasters, or just enough to hold it together?
Welcome to hell, I'll be your waiter this evening.

#9 BOSS9

BOSS9

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:02 PM

This is a bit off-topic, but do you guys usually put all of the screws back in your blasters, or just enough to hold it together?

If I'm just testing, usually just enough to hold the plunger area together. I have 2 airguns that I'm testing right now that are held together with rubber bands and tape. But if I'm done with something or am taking it to a war I always put back all the screws, or even more in some cases (like minimized nitefinders, where screwports are eliminated).

Good-quality manual screwdrivers are the only practical way to get enough control, to avoid stripping screws.

#10 Hammy

Hammy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

I always use a hand powered screwdriver.

And when in progress of modding a blaster, I use masking tape to hold it together when testing. You need the tape around where the trigger catch is, and any other pressure points, making sure that the tape does not block any of the priming components pathway.

Then at the war game, it will be properly reassembled with all the screws.

Edited by Hammy, 01 January 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#11 thefreelongshot

thefreelongshot

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

i have always used hand powerd screw drivers because it been the easiest thing. like exo said you could use a racheting screw driver. theres not much else to use unless your gonna take the risk of stripping your screws. <_<

#12 shardbearer

shardbearer

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:22 AM

Drac put a vid up on EverydayAlchemy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users