Bolt Release

Longstrike bolt release button

21 replies to this topic

#1 Floppyjack

Floppyjack

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

I'm currently working on a bolt release system for my Longstrike. If you don't know already, this is a button which throws the bolt forward when pressed. So to load a round, I only have to pull back the bolt, and press the release button. I got it to work by adding a spring to the bolt sled, and adding a release mech. with a longshot trigger system.

#2 nerfdartsmith21

nerfdartsmith21

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:24 PM

If you don't know already, this is a button which throws the bolt forward when pressed.

This might be a dumb question, but isn't that the trigger?

EDIT: Oh, and I think instead of adding a release button, you're better off just adding a one of those springs with 2 ends like ones in the Maverick (sorry lacking terminology).

Edited by nerfdartsmith21, 31 August 2010 - 03:28 PM.

#3 Floppyjack

Floppyjack

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

If you don't know already, this is a button which throws the bolt forward when pressed.

No, the trigger makes the plunger go forward, this makes the bolt sled go forward.

#4 Floppyjack

Floppyjack

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

No, the trigger makes the plunger go forward, this makes the bolt sled go forward.

#5 LotusNerf

LotusNerf

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

What's the point of having a release, when you are just gonna release it anyways before you shoot? Nerfdartsmith21 is right, you should just have an extension spring, rubber band or something in there to make the bolt go forward. No need for a release.

#6 Floppyjack

Floppyjack

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

What's the point of having a release, when you are just gonna release it anyways before you shoot? Nerfdartsmith21 is right, you should just have an extension spring, rubber band or something in there to make the bolt go forward. No need for a release.

And when I need to reload?

#7 The one donut

The one donut

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:50 PM

You hold it back while you take out the clip?

Pressing a button after pulling it back seems like it would be difficult to install, and would be little to no help considering you would have to move your hand from the bolt to the button.
Eat foam you pesky cats!

#8 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 559 posts
  • State:England

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

Add a torsion spring, and all you're problems are solved.

As you slide the bolt back, the torsion spring stretches, and then snaps the breech shut. As for reloading clips, you can load a stock breech when it's closed.

Edited by BritNerfMogul, 31 August 2010 - 05:09 PM.

#9 nerfdartsmith21

nerfdartsmith21

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

And when I need to reload?

See? This bolt release thing you speak of is completely unnecessary. Is it really that difficult to push the bolt forward? Or do you have carpal tunnel?

#10 nerfdartsmith21

nerfdartsmith21

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

Woops, computer screwed up. Sorry.

Edited by nerfdartsmith21, 31 August 2010 - 05:00 PM.

#11 Floppyjack

Floppyjack

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:41 PM

What else am I supposed to do with a longstrike?

#12 nerfdartsmith21

nerfdartsmith21

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

I don't know, AR removal, spring replacement, oh and a brass breech sound like good ideas.

#13 Floppyjack

Floppyjack

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:25 PM

I don't know, AR removal, spring replacement, oh and a brass breech sound like good ideas.

All are already done.

#14 iknowmy3tables

iknowmy3tables

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

I think I understand where your coming from, you want spring assisted slide return, but since you have to load clips with the bolt open you want a bolt hold open lock, well a while back I was looking into making a bolt hold open mechanisms, but not because I wanted a spring assisted forward slide istead I wanted a mechanism to hold open the bolt when I ran out of darts in my clip so I could feel when I was out of ammo, I ended up using a simple magazine mod but here's a diagram based on one of my earlier ideas that I didn't use
Posted Image
it's just a pivoting piece of plastic with a light spring pushing it down, if you can make it work i'll release the bolt when you insert a clip with darts and lock when your clip is empty

#15 LotusNerf

LotusNerf

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

The reloading seems to be a valid point. It can help reload and firing time a tiny bit.

I've drawn a crappy picture. I will apologize now and will resize if I can, if the picture is too large.

Posted Image

There, a release.

#16 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:56 PM

Let's be totally honest here; this idea is 100% stupid, unnecessary, and retarded.

I know you're trying to make a superoverkillomfg gun, but you really don't need it. If you seriously have performed an AR removal, spring replacement, and brass breech, then I'd toss this thing in the 'Done' pile. Doing what you're trying to do is pointless, and is inevitably just going to add more bulk.

Trust me on that.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#17 LotusNerf

LotusNerf

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

Let's be totally honest here; this idea is 100% stupid, unnecessary, and retarded.

I know you're trying to make a superoverkillomfg gun, but you really don't need it. If you seriously have performed an AR removal, spring replacement, and brass breech, then I'd toss this thing in the 'Done' pile. Doing what you're trying to do is pointless, and is inevitably just going to add more bulk.

Trust me on that.

I'll be honest and say that this idea is not a bad one. I also do not like the idea of having to push the bolt back forward when you have your clip in. Nerf is about innovation, not copying whatever everyone else has done. You say that this is pointless, yet you have no good reason. Floppyjack, do what you want to do.

Edited by LotusNerf, 31 August 2010 - 09:04 PM.

#18 Floppyjack

Floppyjack

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:12 PM

Trust me on that.

I'll be honest and say that this idea is not a bad one. I also do not like the idea of having to push the bolt back forward when you have your clip in. Nerf is about innovation, not copying whatever everyone else has done. You say that this is pointless, yet you have no good reason. Floppyjack, do what you want to do.

Exactly, if something helps at all, why not do it? It's never been done before either. I could add a torsion spring attached to the bolt and a stationary piece, so just flicking the bolt forward will unlock and load it.

#19 nerfdartsmith21

nerfdartsmith21

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:41 AM

All are already done.

Then you're done, longstrike's can't be modded worth crap anyway. But just because you're bored with it doesn't mean you make it more impractical than it already is.

Oh and floppyjack, another problem with this thing is that it might shred/jam darts.

Edited by nerfdartsmith21, 01 September 2010 - 06:46 AM.

#20 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:26 AM

Lol. Why are you kids all nay-saying? Yes, there might be an issue with this or that, but that's just something to consider into the design, not proof that he should never attempt it. Regardless of what you think of the idea, it's safe, original and interesting, so there's no real motivation for him not to do it. Impractical? It decreases priming time. Adds bulk? A small pivot and a spring are not going to make the gun magically weigh 100 pounds or any bigger.

Now for the OP: My only gripe with you is that it doesn't seem like you've actually completed anything, and are just submitting an "idea thread" where it's just a hypothetical. Those are not encouraged here. You should have a physical proof of concept, if not finished product, at the very least.

As for the idea: I like it, but making the bolt sled lock in the back position with a release is going to be much more difficult than just having a spring return. Like it was mentioned, you can still reload if the breech is closed.
If you're absolutely set on having it lock (seems a bit slower than automatically closing), LotusNerf outlined the basic idea. A spring loaded pivot will automatically lock it in place until released. A hybrid of the ideas though is that pivot without the spring (or holding/locking the pivot in the open position while using the gun). This would have the speed benefit of the non-locking sled while being able to lock when you want to reload with the breech open.

That should be everything; go get some modding done. :blink:
Teehee.

#21 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

The only problem I see with this idea is that its an "idea".... We don't care about idea's here, do the mod, post pictures of it, but don't discuss something that doesn't exist.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#22 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:55 PM

The only problem I see is that you're going through all this work so you don't have to move your hand a few inches. Plus the button would need to be right next to the trigger for it to be effective, and you'd have to move the hand that primed the bolt back to holding position. What's another literal second if you're already moving your hand? This isn't impractical, it's just unnecessary.

Edited by Echnalaid, 04 September 2010 - 09:58 PM.

There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users