Photo

Matching Red Spray Paint To The Red Recon (question)

18 replies to this topic

#1 Paragon19

Paragon19

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:32 PM

I know, this almost seems like it shouldn't be on the modification board, but I'll go ahead anyway and ask: does anyone know of a particular spray paint that would most accurately match the Red Recon? I'm not doing anything elaborate, I just wanted to make my arsenal match. I guess at the very least it'll make the tacticool junk look better if I put it on?

So far, I've bought a can of Krylon cherry red, which comes pretty close, but is slightly too dark, and I don't think it's made for plastic either, so that might help.

Edited by Paragon19, 22 August 2010 - 11:46 PM.

#2 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:18 AM

Try Krylon "Banner Red". Or if you want to get real close, take it to a professional paints shop and they can match it, mix you up some and put it in a spray can. It will cost like $10 a can but it'll be exact.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#3 Paragon19

Paragon19

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:18 AM

Try Krylon "Banner Red". Or if you want to get real close, take it to a professional paints shop and they can match it, mix you up some and put it in a spray can. It will cost like $10 a can but it'll be exact.

I actually wasn't aware they could do that (fill spray paint cans at shops, that is). Thanks for the input. I'm definitely going to try the Krylon first, butI guess if it doesn't match, I'll try the more expensive option.

Edited by Paragon19, 23 August 2010 - 09:19 AM.

#4 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

Honestly, what I would do is just get some red paint, and then just paint everything with that red. Sure, you wouldn't be matching the recon, but your arsenal would match, and isnt that the ultimate goal?
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#5 RedShot

RedShot

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:36 PM

I think that Home Depot has a paint matching service.
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together!
[RedShot]

#6 Paragon19

Paragon19

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:41 PM

Honestly, what I would do is just get some red paint, and then just paint everything with that red. Sure, you wouldn't be matching the recon, but your arsenal would match, and isnt that the ultimate goal?

You mean paint the Recon too, even though it's already red? I've considered it, but while I'm quite sure I'd be able to mask it properly, I'd still prefer it not gaining splotches via my lack of painting skill.

I guess at this point I'm going to just go ahead and try the paint matching, which prompts another question from me; Considering that I am only painting the yellow parts red on these blasters, to make them look like they could have actually come that way from Nerf, should I apply any kind of base coat first?

#7 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

So you're afraid of your painting skills so you wont paint your recon? So to solve that problem you're going to paint all your other guns? I don't get it...

Anyways, I usually don't use any kind of under coat or primer because it makes for too much build up on the surfaces and you loose the textures. Just make sure its clean, oil free, and you use many very thin coats instead of one or two thick ones. Then hit it with a clear coat or a satin to match Nerf's finishes. When you're doing taping, make sure you use actual painters tape, the blue or the green stuff, not duct tape or regular masking tape, cover all the areas you don't want to paint with over lap and then take a razor blade and cut along the factory lines so it flows perfectly. If you already knew that, than perfect!

The Home Depot does offer paint matching, but for house paint, not spray cans. For spray cans you need to go to a store that specializes in airbrushing, or automotive painting.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#8 Paragon19

Paragon19

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

So you're afraid of your painting skills so you wont paint your recon? So to solve that problem you're going to paint all your other guns? I don't get it...

No, I'm painting the other ones because I like red better than yellow. :) I just don't like the idea of having to paint the Recon as well.

#9 Paragon19

Paragon19

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:24 PM

+ Get a can of any red that you like.
+ Paint one of your other blasters.
+ Give it plenty of time to cure, and maybe even use it some.
+ Then decide: either your skills lack, and you should stop now, or else you did okay, and there's no reason not to do the Recon.

Yeah, that's about where I am at this point. The Cherry Red I already have is a good red, so I guess I'll start with my Maverick, wait for it to dry, mull it over for a day or two, and then decide. I guess it's better to have them all match than have one slightly off.

#10 Paragon19

Paragon19

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:31 PM

I'd like to take a moment to express my extreme displeasure with insects' natural attraction to the color red, and how easily they stick to drying spray paint........ *grumble grumble*

Edited by Paragon19, 23 August 2010 - 09:19 PM.

#11 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

No, I'm painting the other ones because I like red better than yellow. :) I just don't like the idea of having to paint the Recon as well.

+ Get a can of any red that you like.
+ Paint one of your other blasters.
+ Give it plenty of time to cure, and maybe even use it some.
+ Then decide: either your skills lack, and you should stop now, or else you did okay, and there's no reason not to do the Recon.

For once in my life, I actually agree entirely with Bob. Don't get hard Bob, it wont happen again, but he is absolutely right. Do your other guns first. Use them. There is no point in painting a gun if you don't like using it. Plus, spray paint is super cheap and easy to use. Unless you don't have arms, I don't think you'll have trouble getting it down. The key is thin dustings of paint. Only once you have that down can you start doing the kool stuff.

(Which, by the way Nerf Haven, I've been able to consistently do a crackle effect on my guns.)

#12 Paragon19

Paragon19

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:13 PM

For once in my life, I actually agree entirely with Bob. Don't get hard Bob, it wont happen again, but he is absolutely right. Do your other guns first. Use them. There is no point in painting a gun if you don't like using it. Plus, spray paint is super cheap and easy to use. Unless you don't have arms, I don't think you'll have trouble getting it down. The key is thin dustings of paint. Only once you have that down can you start doing the kool stuff.

(Which, by the way Nerf Haven, I've been able to consistently do a crackle effect on my guns.)

I like things to be uniform a lot of the time, not necessarily fancy. I just spray painted my Maverick though, as a test of the paint and all, and I actually think I like the spray paint red better than the red the Recon came in.

Just to be clear, I like the Recon a lot. I don't want to mess it up. On the other guns, even messed up red spray paint would be better than that damned yellow.

Edited by Paragon19, 23 August 2010 - 09:14 PM.

#13 Paragon19

Paragon19

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:33 PM

Well thanks guys for all the input, I appreciate it. For anyone curious, the difference between Krylon Cherry Red and the color the Recon is molded in, take a look:

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 Paragon19

Paragon19

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:08 PM

It's likely that you sprayed it on too thick for a single coat.

No, I mean they landed on it within three seconds of my finishing spraying.

#15 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:25 PM

Just paint in your garage or something. Either way, with the way you tape, paint the damn recon. Do the other guns first, but still, the paint looks pretty good for a first time, and once you give it a few more goes, it should look fine. The red on the recon looks really dull and boring compared to the red on the Mav. Its more... red. So go for it. It'll look great, and all that.

#16 Paragon19

Paragon19

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:42 PM

Just paint in your garage or something. Either way, with the way you tape, paint the damn recon. Do the other guns first, but still, the paint looks pretty good for a first time, and once you give it a few more goes, it should look fine. The red on the recon looks really dull and boring compared to the red on the Mav. Its more... red. So go for it. It'll look great, and all that.

What's this garage thing you speak of? It sounds expensive, or high class. Certainly nothing a poor college student like myself would have.

Thanks though, I think it turned out pretty well too. I'm going to paint everything else first, and then see if the Recon sticks out like a sore thumb, or see if I can get away with not painting it. Though I'm pretty sure it'll be the former, not the latter.

#17 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:55 PM

What's this garage thing you speak of? It sounds expensive, or high class. Certainly nothing a poor college student like myself would have.

Thanks though, I think it turned out pretty well too. I'm going to paint everything else first, and then see if the Recon sticks out like a sore thumb, or see if I can get away with not painting it. Though I'm pretty sure it'll be the former, not the latter.

Yeah, thats a good plan. Oh yeah huh, that whole no garage thing. Can you get a little air tent? Like the ones made out of mesh to keep bugs out? That would work as it would allow you to paint in a closed space, but still have good venting.

Yeah, paint all your other guns first. get good, then tackle the recon. Its always fun to paint.

#18 Paragon19

Paragon19

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:29 AM

So, I've done the Longshot now, and improved my method. Though I did still screw up with the bipod.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
I do have to say, I think this is the color the Longshot should always have been made in, instead of just a short special run for Wal Mart.

Next up is my new Alpha Trooper.

#19 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:04 AM

Yeah, in the end, you might want to paint the recon anyway. That's coming out pretty good man. Keep it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users